MUST SEE -Ford GT (GT4) vs. Ford GT (real life)-new videos!!

  • Thread starter Thread starter ekuebler
  • 13 comments
  • 1,309 views
ekuebler
I don't know if this has been posted before, if not, enjoy!! This is an article and videos including one with GT4 creator. Also AJ Almindinger, a guy from IGN and a reporter all battling it out at Laguna Seca in various cars on GT4 then in the real vehicles. This is a must see!! Enjoy

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=107485


Eric

Nice, i like it. It seems that GT4 can estow you with a false sense of security out on the race track!!
 
X-Othermic
Nice, i like it. It seems that GT4 can estow you with a false sense of security out on the race track!!

That suprises you?
I can't count the number of times - or even the number of ways that I should have died in GT by now.... :lol:
 
Oh wait its playing. BRB
It was ok.
 
Boundary Layer
That suprises you?
I can't count the number of times - or even the number of ways that I should have died in GT by now.... :lol:

I didn't say it surprised me, i'm just saying that if we were all to drive in real life like we do in Gt4, then we would almost certiantly be all dead.
 
X-Othermic
if we were all to drive in real life like we do in Gt4, then we would almost certiantly be all dead.

👍
GT4 gives a good feeling of speed, accelleration and decel. Some feeling of horizontal movement at cornering, but no feeling of vertical G-force as you do in real life.
You can probably make a simulator for this, but it would probably cost mor than a new racecar. Remember that a game only gives visual input vs. all sensory inputs IRL.
Conclusion: Don't take your GT4 experience with you IRL driving.
 
hispeed
👍
Conclusion: Don't take your GT4 experience with you IRL driving.
I beg to differ - I'm pretty sure that all those hours spend on GT4 will give YOU, and not the guy who never played, an edge once something unexpected happens.. Doesn't have to be anything insane - But a patch of ice on an otherwise cleared road going through a corner well within the speed limits...

Use your GT4 expecience - but use it wisely !...

And - Nice video btw. Not really surprising, but nice. Looking forward to seing what Mr. Clarkson will pull off in his NSX - GT4 vs. real life..

Also - Did anyone read the article close enough to find what tires they were using ? (In GT4 that is...)
 
I'm curious about the tyres myself as well as the settings used. AJ Allmindinger(indy driver and game player) had a time around Laguna Seca in GT4 that was not very good. (and he was almost 10 seconds faster than the other 2 guys). I think his time was around 1minute 30something. After I read the article I turned on GT4 in arcade mode and did a 1minute 27something on sports medium and with no driving assists. Doesn't seem like any of those guys are very good at GT4 that's for sure! Don't know if I'd want to race him in a real car though!!

Eric
 
Flerbizky
I beg to differ - I'm pretty sure that all those hours spend on GT4 will give YOU, and not the guy who never played, an edge once something unexpected happens..

I beg to think different. Most people that play GT4 would regret doing their GT4 moves IRL. Their cars will not act like in the game, the misttakes would have much harsher consequences, passengers in the car might interfer.
Me myself is a passive driver when in common traffic, tend to be a little more agressive when alone on the road.

Btw, you're never at an edge when something unexpected happens, besides on the dangerous edge.
 
hispeed
Btw, you're never at an edge when something unexpected happens, besides on the dangerous edge.

You can't expect the unexpected - that's why it's "unexpected". You can't go around each and every corner expecting to find ice/oil/diesel/mud/a refrigerator in the road (I suppose you can, but you'd better enjoy flashing lights and horns behind you). In the case of diesel the first you usually know about it is either when your TCS lights up/engine revs or you start to slide. I would argue here that someone who's played GT and so instinctively steers into the slide to correct it would do better than someone who has not and would be more likely to brake hard, prolonging the slide.

Finding yourself in an unexpected situation isn't dangerous if you are prepared with the knowledge and ability of how to safely get out of the situation.

Also, my first real-life (special conditions? ;) )drift was done by copying exactly what I'd done in rally games. I turned into the corner way early, with a little brake to provoke the slide, then powered-on when it was time to exit. It worked a treat, and I don't regret it. :)

I have to agree about your passenger comment though. If your passengers are not comfortable with your driving then it is time to slow down and consider their feelings.
 
I agree -- racing games can most definitely help prepare you for real-world situations. Unfortunately, GT4 is not one of those games. I'm glad I learned how to drift in games like Live for Speed and Enthusia before attempting it in real life, as opposed to GT4. If I had learned in GT4, my car would be totalled. :indiff:

GT4 is great for learning tracks, though. When I went to Germany and drove around the Nürburgring, I was confident in my knowledge of the track, since I logged tons of 'Ring hours on PGR2 learning the basic arrangement of the track, and refined that knowledge with the much-more-accurate GT4 and Enthusia... :)
 
Wolfe2x7
I agree -- racing games can most definitely help prepare you for real-world situations. Unfortunately, GT4 is not one of those games.
Quite a bold statement I must say... - So you claim that PDs 4 years of work is so unrealistic that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING has any connection to how a car will react in the real world ?...
 
That was a pretty cool video 👍

It was cool to hear Kazunori Yamauchi speak about the game
 
Flerbizky
Quite a bold statement I must say... - So you claim that PDs 4 years of work is so unrealistic that NOTHING, absolutely NOTHING has any connection to how a car will react in the real world ?...

I make bold statements like that 'cause no one else will. :lol:

Anyway, I didn't say that nothing has any connection to how a car would react in the real world. After all, GT4 does indeed feature cars that have...
1. 4 wheels that turn (even though they don't directly influence the motion of the car -- that's done by taking slot-car-style physics and tacking on rudimentary understeer, oversteer, etc. Proof? The odd, artificially-smooth movement of cars, and the fact that the Nike car doesn't really drive any different from any other car, despite its unique wheel placement/geometry)
2. brakes that brake (although ABS is impossible to get rid of, even on cars that never had it)
3. gas pedals that accelerate (just don't expect to be doing any realistic burnouts or donuts, and expect the game to occasionally second-guess your input...for example, cutting the throttle when you enter a spin)
4. steering wheels that steer (if by "steer" you mean "understeer"...okay, okay, so there are times when the front-end has grip -- like when you're countersteering for a drift, in which case the front-end will violently pull you out of the drift and into a spin)
5. differentials that..."differentiate?" :lol: (although limited-slips are often willing to behave like open ones...not that it matters too much, because as your waiting (and waiting...and waiting...) for that one wheel to stop spinning, your car will still travel straight and true -- the wheelspin has no effect on the car (see point #1). Even if it's a RWD, and you steer left and right, the car will just sorta....turn...and in a weird-looking sorta way, too. :odd: )

So yes, if you're looking for realistic cornering (as long as it's well below the limit of the car), braking (as long as the car in question has ABS in real life), and accelerating (as long as the car has the magic ability to easily travel straight forward despite wheelspin), GT4's the one you're looking for. :) 👎

I've mentioned this before somewhere around here, but my GT4 conspiracy theory is that PD worked with the DMV to try and convince everyone that "spirited" driving will be rewarded with nothing but understeer and crashes, and that drifting is an impossibility, so there's no point in even trying it. :lol:
 
Back