MXGP 2

• Thread starter CarreraGT
  • 25 comments
Has anyone picked up this game yet? I was a big fan of the first one and will probably pick up the new game in the next couple of weeks, just curious to know whether it feels much different.

They look fairly similar from a glance, but impossible to judge physics etc. from youtube videos. Definitely stoked about the addition of supercross though!

Not sure if there will be a demo? I didn't buy the previous one as the framerate was too low to comfortably race in first person view (PS4).

There is a demo available on PS4 since somewhere last week. I've tried it and I'm still underwhelmed. Graphically, it looks the same as the previous game, but it's more playable in first person view because they seem to have removed the head wobble. But as the gamepad rumble is virtually non existing, it feels like your riding on tarmac rather than a dirt course. The track surface is still a washed out low resolution mess and the frame rate is an unstable 30fps.
The sound is ok, and so is the handling, as usual in Milestone games. But the overall experience isn't there to justify a purchase.

...The track surface is still a washed out low resolution mess and the frame rate is an unstable 30fps...
The track looks a lot richer than the last game and the rag-doll style wipeouts are gone. Physics from the demo feel far better too and I didn't notice any frame drops.

Overall an improvement as far as I can see.
MXGP2 - The Official Motocross Videogame Demo_20160509135136.png
MXGP2 - The Official Motocross Videogame Demo_20160509135428.png
MXGP2 - The Official Motocross Videogame Demo_20160509143240.png

Nice pictures and definitely brings back some good memories of MXGP1. I loved the previous entry (spent over 100 hours racing against the AI and/or just simply taking pictures) and was overall a great first shot at a motocross game by Milestone. From what I've seen though, MXGP2 does very little to justify a purchase. The physics look very similar and the sounds never got the overhaul they sorely needed.

DiRT Rally have been occupying all my gaming time lately but I really should give the demo (if it's still available) a chance, at the very least.

MXH
Nice pictures and definitely brings back some good memories of MXGP1. I loved the previous entry (spent over 100 hours racing against the AI and/or just simply taking pictures) and was overall a great first shot at a motocross game by Milestone. From what I've seen though, MXGP2 does very little to justify a purchase. The physics look very similar and the sounds never got the overhaul they sorely needed.

DiRT Rally have been occupying all my gaming time lately but I really should give the demo (if it's still available) a chance, at the very least.
I downloaded the demo for MX-GP2 yesterday, so it should still be there. I think you'll be surprised.

Gave it a shot today - although I did download the demo yesterday, I still ended up playing DR (the S1600 RX class is like crack to me).

Anyway, my initial impressions of the demo are mixed. While I really like how they've expanded on the customization part of the game, the game falls short on the sounds and the scrub system.

The sound department hasn't seen any improvements at all and the scrub system is basically almost the same as before, but now with a really unintuitive and awkward control scheme in my opinion. Pushing both analog sticks in different directions never made any sense to me while playing the demo. I really wish they would just let us control our scrubs and whips with the left analog stick. Slight improvements to the physics model seems to have been made but nothing of any major significance. Game seems to perform fine, but there are occasional dips below 30fps.

All in all, while I don't think it's a bad game, it's definitely not the sequel I wanted. I hoped for a far bigger leap in both sounds and the scrub system. Third time's the charm?

While I absolutely loved the first game, I wasn't too impressed by the sequel (or at least the demo). Crossing my fingers that this one's good and that UE4 proves to be a wise choice of engine.

MXGP 2 only had two real flaws which was the air controls, and optimisation (which was bad by even Milestone standards, it actually ran better in windowed mode :irked:). Other than that, it was great. Though the time trial activation on the test track being stuck to R1/RB was a pain, because I've always used it for changing up gears, so I could never just muck about on the test track... And the game would always default to third person camera, so I had to change to first person every race... Okay, maybe there's a few problems. So hopefully using UE4 they can make the game work properly. :lol:

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to this. It looks like Milestone are now on my Radar for all racing games having enjoyed SLRE, and the MXGP demos, I am still to try Ride2/MotoGP Valentino R (wasn't keen on Ride1).

I will definitely get this on release along with Gravel!..The Unreal4 engine looks great with time of day and weather and the real time dirt tracks (Like Sega Rally I hope). I just hope they add 'Shutter Speed' to their excellent 'Free cam'. I did ask them but no reply yet!..But you never know.👍

So far 2017 is looking a good year.

Dirt4
MXGP3
Gravel
Pcars2
GTSport?

Any I missed? :cheers:

I just hope they add 'Shutter Speed' to their excellent 'Free cam'. I did ask them but no reply yet!..But you never know.👍
I wouldn't hold my breath. I've been asking them that since MotoGP13 and MXGP, but never heard anything regarding shutter speed or seen any will to implement it.

:embarrassed:

Regardless, I'm very excited for this game. Even more so when I take a look at my old flickr account and the panorama shots I took in MXGP1.

Back