MXGP 2020 on it's way

• Thread starter ctdc67
  • 16 comments
United States
United States
A fun simcade series I enjoy. I wish supercross was part of the game...

Please, stop complaining about the whips. Fake whips can stay in MX vs. ATV.
I would like to see the ruts effect the handling but I think it would be a tough thing to improvise.

Last edited:
It's funny I seem to like every other version. Loved the first hated the second one. 3rd I like but thought Pro was just ok. Kind of hated 19. They keep mucking with the physics/control of each one there is no consistency. To be honest I still think the first was the best. Just needed a few tweaks. The Supercross serious is cool as well. I just hope they don't follow SX3 and put those dumb compound races before each season as a requirement. I really hope they upgrade the gear options though instead of rehashing the same ones for the 4th straight year

I hope they can get the physics to be as real life sim as possible where everyone will respect it. I am a very casual/mediocre player and I wouldn't be a good judge. I would like to see ATVs in the game.

you lost me at ATVs in the game!!!! lol . I doubt they will make changes in the right direction for the physics. That's just Milestone, they always seem to be trying to get car people into bike games instead of bike people and their physics engine show it. As is the MXGP/SX games aren't too bad and can be fun. But it's the typical lack of attention to detail, consistent handling and game design that generally knock their games down a notch. I mean if you played the SX and MXGP games without knowing who made them you'd swear they were created by different companies. I am NOT expert dirt rider, but I do ride quite a bit and their shouldn't be that huge a difference between SX and MX. Bike setup aside the actual physics of the sport is the same. but oh well. 2019 lost my attention pretty quick but if they went with the SX 3 physics I'd be ok with that

I find with MX games, it's best to just play and enjoy them for what they are and not get too bogged down in the minutia of the physics. At least Milestone acknowledges that gravity is, in fact, a thing. Agree with RZ05 that they seem to get every other MX game right so this one should be good? As for the whip/scrub button, it's just Milestone trying to insert "game" elements into something that should just flow naturally, just like their stupid "tuck" button. I ignore and don't use one and set the other to auto. I still prefer it to that other studio that seems to cater to the players that want to throw sick triple flip can-no-can/reverse double whatever the hell they call it and hit orbit off every jump, anyway.

We await anxiously but there will be a few reviews read before purchase and no pre-order.

exactly that's what I loved about the first few MXGP games and the SX games, the bikes had weight. Unlike the MX vs ATV series where the bikes just seemed to float. I don't do much with the whips and stuff either since the first game because to me they seem to be more about change direction than elevation. Plus not sure why they just don't make it more a natural thing rather than like how "turbo" button combo works.

The only thing control wise I'd wish they'd fix was cornering, but then again that's never been Milestone's forte! lol But that kind of ties into the scrub/whip combo button item. If I try to steer like I would for real it generally results in a crash because the slightest bump send the bike into a scrup/whip because of a tiny amount of air. So despite a few issues that's why I still think the first MXGP was the best

But like r_outsider for the MXGP/SX games I just play them. They're a lot of fun and the 1st person view on all of them are great. MXGP 20 was a surprise didn't know it was coming. For a game launching next month I don't see it listed on any retail sites in the US or the PSN network so hope it comes state side

To be honest I generally dis-regard all reviews for bike games. Especially from pro-sites. None seem to understand bikes or have a real passion for bike games, so the reviews seem half assed. They give passes for things they'd shred a car based game for. It's kind of the same for a lot of the youtuber reviews. So for me all Milestone purchases are just blind and generally dependent on if I have the cash to purchase a controller with it. Cause with every new Milestone game a controller gets smashed. lol Strange phenomenon that only seems to happen with Mielstone games lol

To be honest I generally dis-regard all reviews for bike games. Especially from pro-sites. None seem to understand bikes or have a real passion for bike games, so the reviews seem half assed. They give passes for things they'd shred a car based game for. It's kind of the same for a lot of the youtuber reviews. So for me all Milestone purchases are just blind and generally dependent on if I have the cash to purchase a controller with it. Cause with every new Milestone game a controller gets smashed. lol Strange phenomenon that only seems to happen with Mielstone games lol

With MX games especially the only reviews worth checking at all are from MX forums and such, or maybe from places like MXA or RacerX- reviews from other riders. Even with the road bike and car games, what other riders and drivers think carries far more weight than any pro review.

I looked at their site and Mxgp 20 is listed for PS4,PS5,PC,and Xbox... No Xbox x/s mentioned. I remember early on somebody replied on a YouTube video about this... I hope this isn't the case because I was looking forward to this game. MX Supercross4 shows all the consoles on the website..

And to add MX Supercross 4 will hit the stores in the spring.

I did see something about a a
January Xbox SX release so I have my fingers crossed.
I'm not seeing much hype for this game....

Last edited:
Well I don't know that it really matters. The game "slipped" out today on PS4 and if you wondered why there has been so little promotion it's because the game isn't worth promoting. I'm really not a negative person. honest I'm really not but Milestone they make it really hard to be positive. The game is a mess. The new menu layout is stupid and annoying. Here's a tip some options require you to press and hold the button for them to engage. Otherwise you might think the game is broken.

The first sign of trouble for me at least is right at the start the game puts you into a race. I absolutely hate it when racing games do this and don't understand why. It's insanely annoying to have to race with a setup you don't like. the game play it self is a bit floaty and sluggish. Very much on the arcade side. Graphics are a tad better but nothing to write home about. The deal killer for me is that the 1st person on bike view has been removed. So it's 3rd person or nothing. So I'm going to choose nothing. Typical Milestone fashion first couple races you have to wear whatever gear paid them the most to be the default gear set cause they don't give you enough credits from the start to go get a gear set of your own choosing.

I can understand maybe having to earn a bit to upgrade a bike, but really, not being able to buy gear? again just stupid. Too much time was spent on redoing a menu system that doesn't need to be done. I don't need a fancy menu. For me the simple and straight forward the better. While they finally did update the gear line you have fewer choices.

Overall it seems like the game was design for new players who've never played the MXGP series before. Which I don't understand because I don't see this as being even remotely close to a cross over mass market game. It's a niche game for a niche market so why all the chagnes? It's sad because the MXGP series started off with such good potential and to me has just gotten worse with every other version. So to me this is a HUGE MISS. Not worth the effort or money. Unless they make huge updates next gen won't save this. So for me it's back to the Supercross games and if I really feel the need for motocross go back to MXGP, MXGP3 or maybe MXGP Pro. cause MXGP 2020 is insulting. Why even bother making a game if this is going to be the amount of effort put into it. Simply pathetic

1608132026-capture.jpg

Honestly don't think that will help this game. If the stuff wasn't ready..... and I mean basic main features why not delay release a week and avoid the headache and bad blood? adding 1st person won't save this game for me. Honestly it feels like it was farmed off to the THQ/Climax team that worked on the MX vs ATV titles. IT plays like the last few of those MX vs ATV games which I thought were total crap. It's the type of stuff I feared would happen when they purchased Milestone. Releasing unfinished games.

Also a heads up. Milestone let it slip that next gen upgrades aren't free. So if you want the next gen version but wanted a head start, you are out of luck. If you buy the game now you will have to purchase it again when the next gen versions are release in 2021.

Again you'd think they'd be transparent with that info but it is Milestone/THQ/Climax so having happy customers isn't a priority for them

I looked at some Steam reviews and people were complaining about the game being arcady, so I hope they will get a kick in the but like Pcars 3 did.

that's kind of why I mentioned maybe it was farmed over to the THQ/Climax team. Milestone has always been simcade, but while MXGP started off solid the last couple have gone in a different directions especially after the acquisition. I'm not a fan. But arcade or not the basic game design which has never been Milestone's strong point has just gotten worst. I mean something so basic as a button push. If you are going to go rogue and require push+hold then I don't know maybe mention that on the screen so the player doesn't think the game is broken. Which is what I did for the first 10min

I only spent 30mins with the game. 1 race but it was enough to know it's not something I'm interested in so I won't be coming back to it. Now given that comment about the next gen being a stand alone game, if by chance they make it less arcadish I might be interested. But I won't be a day one adaptor. I'll wait to see how it plays out. While Ride 4 had a number of issues, the base of the game was solid enough to hang in and stick with it. Sadly can't say the same about MXGP 2020 and have serious concerns with SX 4

Just wondered if anyone has tried it, does photomode have shutter speed this time, that always annoyed me, seeing as ride 4 and moto gp20 did, does this? thanks...

Is this game updated for the PS5 or will that come in January? Is it at its best for the PC?

Sorry for the double post but I want to buy this game unless it isn't a next gen game for the xbox...

By the way it sounds WRC 9 and other next gen games only look a smidgen bit different from last gen like we were warned about.
What is the story of the Xbox SX MXGP2020?

Last edited:
Back