My 2014 GT Academy North American Finals experience

United States
Wilsonville, OR USA
scca_ziptie
Here is a break down of the initial departure and arrival days as well as day 1 of competition for the 2014 GT Academy North American finals at Silverstone Circuit:

Depart from Oregon via PDX @ 12:15pm PST, switch planes in New York at JFK and depart for Heathrow in London. After 14.5 hrs of flight it's now Saturday August 16, 2014 as the plane touches down in London, my first time being out of the United States and I am beyond excited!

After clearing customs and acquiring my checked bag, just as I enter the arriving passenger pickup area I am greeted by one of the GT Academy crew and endurance racer Gonćalo G. - for those who have met him, I'm sure the smile on your face is still present as that's what happens when I hear his name, what a cool guy eh!? Moments after meeting Gonz I hear a familiar voice and spot Tommy G, the three of us then meet up with a few more competitors and we all leave Heathrow in some spacious and capable transports headed for the legendary Silverstone Circuit - EPIC!

Arriving at the circuit and driving past the legends pictured at the front gate is something that I feel incapable of describing with proper justice being served. A priceless for me personally, one of many to come. Upon entering the front gates it becomes immediately apparent how massive the Silverstone complex is - unlike anything on the West Coast of the US for sure. Our driver navigates us to a "Gran Prix style" mobile hospitality facility where we check into our own individual rooms at the SNOOZEBOX! At this point, I've been up for a long time but there is no way that I could sleep so I joined a few of the guys for a little stroll around the grounds as we enjoyed watching some club racing at various points around the circuit. When we returned from our spectating, dinner was being served in the hospitality area of the Snoozebox lobby with instructions for the following morning. After dinner I turned on Sky Sports F1 as I relax in my Snoozebox but there was no way I would be falling asleep anytime soon so I walked over to a marshal station, hopped the fence and embarked on a private track walk of the GP circuit. After completing the most surreal track walk ever, I was finally able to get some rest and be ready for the first big day - moving into Race Camp!!

After waking up and enjoying a small breakfast I went for a short jog with another driver before all 12 competitors met with the production crew and some of the driving instructors to be briefed on the upcoming activities. We had a quick equipment fitting for our open and closed face helmets, put our bags in the media vans, jumped into three Nissan Jukes and moved into Race Camp at the Stowe complex. Once there, we were fitted for our race suits, shoes and gloves. After changing into our NISMO gear, we loaded into three Nissan Jukes that were waiting outside and headed to "The Wing" paddock building for the arrival scene filming. After filming was complete we stayed in three groups of four as we were all given complete medical check ups, a body mass test, went on a 7km "warm up" run, completed timed sprints, push-ups, and a reaction time test.

DAY 1 of competition started with the first benchmark challenge, driving the NISMO 370Z around Stowe Circuit. Upon completing the allotted laps and pitting we were allowed the opportunity to look at some basic telemetry with the driving coaches and given feedback on our performance. This was a great tool as you can really identify your weak/strong points of the lap and work on the trouble areas while exploiting the strong ones. After evaluating the data we were then given an opportunity to apply what was discussed when reviewing the telemetry from our original run. I really wish that we had a chance to look at data during another point of the competition but this proved to be the one and only time that we we able to. A shame really. The combination of Stowe and the 370 was pretty good, although if you were too aggressive applying throttle with any serious amount of steering input, the differential proved to be a bit stubborn and could have trouble rotating the car with the throttle. I struggled to get the car online in the Surtees esses a few times, the best solution seemed to be really attacking the kerbing to help rotate the car.

Next up was a basic briefing of the Silverstone Experience Formula Cars, which we would be lapping around a damp Stowe circuit. The formula car had responsive handling, quite neutral balance, a firm brake pedal and I'm sure would have had enough grip to be aggressive entering and exiting corners had the circuit been dry. Although a person of my size doesn't really fit well in these cars, I really enjoyed the Formula Car, even in the damp conditions but was really disappointed that we weren't able to have another go in them. In the end it just makes that one and only session that much sweeter.

We were then taken to a parking lot by the entrance of the circuit which had an autoX course set up and two driving instructors standing by a Caterham. First we were tasked with performing a drift around a single cone to demonstrate the ability to throttle steer the car. Then we were allowed a practice lap around the autoX course to familiarize ourselves with the circuit layout and car balance. Once everyone had completed their practice lap we were each given two flying laps, one being graded on lap time and the other being graded on slip angle through the gates. The car was incredibly responsive in all categories, especially on turn in. I really had trouble for the drifting portion of this expertise as I couldn't seem to get my brain to allow for any serious degree of slip angle, instead just catching the car nearly immediately upon the rear losing traction. I didn't perform very well in this exercise, being unable to quickly show the instructors my true car control skills.

Next up was the mighty GT-R at the International Circuit, which was my personal favorite course configuration that we drove during the week. The GT-R is fast. Very fast. With the electronics in "R mode" the car feels like a motorcycle, allowing the back to wag under braking, when the rear starts rotating on corner entry you smoothly release brake input and feed in the throttle while the clever drivetrain puts down that impressive power with massive amounts of grip through all four tires. The transmission is sharp on up and downshifts and down hangar straight clicking into 5th gear it continues to pull, generating smiles from the occupants. This was also one of the most enjoyable times that I had with a driving instructor as Charlie Watts was talking and coaching once we left pit lane, really providing solid input and seemed to be quite pleased with the laps. What an amazingly capable machine that feels much smaller in size when at speed - GODZILLA LIVES!

The final event of the day was the Quadrathalon and a freshly damp Silverstone. To start, we were to pull the Silverstone Experience cars that we lapped at Stowe earlier in the day, as a tow strap was attached to the car at one end and the other end attached to a harness we were wearing. Once we crossed the designated line we ditched the harness and started running, I am unsure of the distance but would estimate between 3/4 to 1 mile. Once the run portion was competed, it was into the Silverstone experience cars for 4 laps around Stowe Circuit for the top 9 drivers, then out of the cars and onto bicycles for the top 6 drivers who were on a course to the wing building pit facilities where GT-Rs awaited the top four drivers. Three laps in the GT-R and the checkered flap awaited Nic Hammann who put in a phenomenal performance during the entire event. I was beyond thrilled to be the first to pull the formula car across the line but that is probably the only time that my size worked to my favor. Upon finally removing the harness, starting the run I felt a pain in my left hamstring area. It was for sure hurting, but there was no way that I was doing anything other than finishing this event and was certainly going to try and make it to the next stage. I finished in last place, not sure which was causing more pain while standing in the pit lane at the end of the quadrathalon while the judges and Dhani discussed and delivered their evaluations and verdict. I knew I pushed hard and felt comfortable with my performance in most of the events, but doing so poorly in the quadrathalon (the first big "TV" bit of the week) had me feeling very uneasy. Dhani called out Matt Wright for the first elimination and then quickly called upon Brett Bennett for the second. A mix of emotions hit me immediately, first relief and then a little bit of shock. I don't think anybody expected two people to go on the first day, I know I certainly didn't. Now it's time to reset and stay positive, tomorrow is a new day!

Back