My acoustic sucks.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter Ryan2
  • 12 comments
  • 666 views
Messages
3,769
My current acoustic really sucks, it's a classical (****ing huge neck) and it just is really, really bad to play. So then, I'm in the market for a new acoustic. Not looking for much, just something that I can play without pain (classical necks are the worst) and just take places. I'm leaning towards a Fender DG-7. It's a Fender, so you know it's good. And, it's only around $140. Anyone know any other good acoustic/acoustic-electrics for under $200? That's about the most I'm willing to pay, maybe a little more if it's an acou/elec. :) Thanks.
 
I've been pretty partial to Yamaha acoustics, if you're just looking for a utility guitar.
 
I like wide necks. I think Jimmy Page should've maybe used a wider neck.
 
I hate it. Feels so awkward and makes my Strat feel like a supermodel.
 
Epiphone. I love the sound they make and they're not too huge.
 
I really don't know all that much about less expensive guitars. I could though help you out if you were in the market for a Taylor or something.
 
Well, if you're not looking to spend much and you want a guitar that you can take places. I would recommend a Fender DG11E(acoustic electric) because it's about $200 and I have one so I'm biased. It has a nice sound to it unplugged but the quality and workmanship aren't exactly topnotch. It's taken quite a banging though and sounds fine. It's just that when it's plugged in the sound starts to turn into a low quality guitar. It still has a nice sound to it though, I recommend going to your local guitar store(Guitar Center, Musician's Workshop, etc) and just playing them and plugging them into an amp similar to yours, that way you get the real sound of it. Good Luck finding one.
 
Actually, Save your pennies and buy a Seagull.
The bottom of the line model has a solid top and back with laminate sides. It goes for just under $500, but I've seen them as cheap as $410.
It's miles better than the Fender, and It cost less than half of what an all-solid wood guitar goes for.
If you're dead set on not spending more than $200, Look at the entry level Washburn, Alvarez, Takamine, and compare they way they sound. Play several of each manufacturer, as one will usually stand out of any 4 or 5.
Another thought is a Samick.
Samick contracts to build the "low to mid" quality guitars for most manufacturers. I believe that near 70% of entry level to mid-level guitars of the major manufacturers are actually built by Samick.
Even if you only plan to play the acoustic in your bedroom, you want an axe that will be enjoyable to play and to listen to 5-10 years down the line.

My fortieth b-day is coming up, and I keep dropping hints re: a sunburst Seagull cutaway.:drool: or an A/E Garrison.
 
This why I'm not an acoustic fan. Fat, laminated necks with binding. Blah.

I was baseball player, mostly, growing up and I need a guitar with a small, natural wood feel to it. I'll stick to my EBMM EVH, Fender Strat, Danelectro and Kramer.

I sold the Wolfgang. I didn't play it much, and it's not going to worth much for collecting purposes, so why keep it? It a natural neck that was just slightly larger than the EBMM.

One acoustic I liked playing, though, was the Eric Clapton Martin. I never come across any natural wood neck acoustics. Are there any?
 
Originally posted by Gil

My fortieth b-day is coming up, and I keep dropping hints re: a sunburst Seagull cutaway.:drool: or an A/E Garrison.

My dad has tried that on my mum for the last 25 years, for every birthday and christmas. The best he's ever got from her was a pair of strings.
Although once he bought himself a guitar, mum found out (just before christmas) and went mad. So to try and cut his losses he told her it was for her for christmas. So my mum actually said ok. And took it. She went and flogged it for £200 the next week. My old man nearly cried. Turned out he had it imported from America and came to a grand sum of $1500 to get this guitar from there. Stupid woman.

Ryan: I got a really cheap Tanglewood acoustic recently. £90 it cost, second hand. It's made of plywood top, bottom and sides. It sounds great for a £90 guitar. My recomendation is, if you haven't been playing long and you just want a cheap muck around guitar, stick with what you've got for the time being. Then if I was in your position, I'd save up for a really really nice acoustic, rather than buying a half decent one now, then saving up even more money and getting a great one later. But that's just me :).
 
Now that I've spent a few years playing a POS guitar...I say buy the best guitar you can afford.
If you hate it, when you decide to sell you'll get your money back. If you start with a POS, you'll not want to play it because it sounds bad, or has a crap action.
Any low end instrument with at least a solid top, and a decent action will serve you well.
Consider the Washburn D10. It is the one that is purchased the most often as an entry level axe.
 
My acoustic-electric Crafter sounds really sweet so maybe you should have a look at them.
 
Back