My Brother's Car has an Oil Leak. Any Advice?

  • Thread starter Thread starter red70mach1
  • 3 comments
  • 486 views
Messages
711
United States
Sacramento, CA
Messages
DeuceRazr
The car is a 1992 Honda Prelde Si with the H23A. The leak is in between the block and heat exchanger. This is where the oil filter is also screwed onto. The car has been sitting here at my home for a month. I'm suspecting that the gasket has failed after 220,000+ miles. I appreciate your advice.
 
yeah, probably a gasket problem.

when you get the new one, though, don't over-tighten the oil filter! that may be how it was damaged in the first place!
 
If you want to go the cheapo route, you can try and fix the break in the gasket with some RTV silicone (gasket maker). The red stuff is the best.
 
I just had this problem 2 weeks ago, and it sounds like the exact same thing I had wrong with my car. I have a 1993 Prelude SR-V with a H22 VTEC, but i'm suspecting the oil exchange is the same on both cars. Check the hose from the block to the oil cooler, and it should be a gasket/clamp around there. My problem was fixed with a $4 part from the part shop. It can be done by yourself or your brother pretty easily and might take about an hours worth of work to do it.
 
Back