My car got hit today

• Thread starter AP1
  • 23 comments

AP1

And what really pissed me off was the attitude of the driver, not the damage to my car.

This morning I went to buy a bagel. I parallel parked on the curb in front of the bagel store and went in, bought a bagel, and came out. The car in front of my car (a blue Toyota minivan) started its engine and began to back up. I stood there, munching on my bagel, while I waited for the minivan to leave so I could walk into the street and get into my car.

Well lucky me, I was witnessed the whole scene when minivan went a bit too far back and hit my car. At first, I shrugged it off because accidents do happen. I walked to the minivan and knocked on the passenger window. The driver looked at me, signaled left, and started to pull his steering wheel to the left. I realized he was going to leave, so I started to bang on his van. He pulled out, and lucky for him I was memorizing his license plate- but what really helped me out was the red light he had to stop for and wait at down the street. :sly: I wrote down all the information necessary to report a hit and run, and then headed home.

From what I can see, there is no damage to my car because his rear bumper hit my front license plate. However I did hear a loud crack and I'm worried that there is damage to the bumper underneath the plate, so I will remove the license plate and its housing assembly to double-check. Even though there appears to be no damage, is it possible to file a police report? I'm not looking to press charges, I just want to warn him and perhaps screw him over by raising his insurance premium (if that's possible at all). At the very least, he owes me an apology and a new bagel (because I threw mine at him when he was driving away). I have not called my insurance agent or notified the police yet. The least he could've done was get out of his car and check the damage; like I said, there appears to be no damage at all and I would've simply let him go.

Thank you for reading this vent post and I'd appreciate your feedback. :dopey:

AP1
but what really helped me out was the red light he had to stop for and wait at down the street. :sly:
lol owned

He was trying to get smart with you, so now make him pay; make a crack on your front bumper, file a police report, and make him pay for a new one. I bet he didn't even notice if he damaged it or not, so he'll take the blame for it.

If you don't wanna turn evil mode on, then I guess there's not much you can do, except for making sure nothing happened to your car and just let the guy go. You can't fix something that isn't broken.

Good job at getting him though 👍

That's what bumpers are there for....

I understand that it's not a nice thing, but bumpers do have a use. Check if there's no damage, and if there is feel free and go and claim off him. If there's no damage, leave it, your car has probably been bumpered a few times before anyway, especially if you parallel park regularly.

That's just extremely rude. Call your insurance company or something, because chances are if you ever did the same thing to that guy he would definitely not show you the courtesy of just letting it slide.

A while ago...I was on a STRAIGHT road with nobody but me and some absolute dumbass in a del slow. He was in the left turn lane and that's where I needed to go too. When I got up behind him he had his backup lights on (thought it was odd) so I decided I'd stay behind him but give him about 2 car lengths between both of us. What does he do? He takes his sorry ass time to figure out what the hell he's doing and while still in reverse backs all the way into me!? Now... It's a bright sunny day and I have a black car. How the @%$^% do you not see that!? I eventually get him to pull over and there's no damage but, some people... they are so damn @$#%%# brain dead around here... :mad:

Some people are nice. I once nudged somebody at a stop sign. they just drove away. No damage to either car but they probably could have gone the whiplash way.

API, You are in Cali, where car-jacking was invented. He may have been scared you intended to harm him and take his vehicle. (Not that there's a big call in the Chop shops for mini-vans...)
Yes, he may also have been a dumb, prick.
He likely didn't even feel the impact, and thought you were freaking on him for no reason.
I'd prolly go ahead and make the FYI call to the police, so that he gets notified, and realizes that his behavior was not appropriate to the actual situation.
Besides, he may call the cops on you as the "lunatic that attacked me with a bagel, right before he started pounding on the windows of my vehicle."

He was wrong for not getting out to see if there was any damage, but if your bumper looks fine, it's fine; I'm sorry the guy was a dick to you, but you'd be an even bigger dick than him if you made him "pay" for what he did. Even if a margin of bumper rigidity did fail in that nudge, that same margin wouldn't have done much for you in any substantial collision, safety-wise or cosmetics-wise.

On the other hand, it's situations like this that make me wish manufacturers still gave cars bumpers, not plastic façades packed with styrofoam. With the diving boards on my BMW, the only way I'd care about a nudge is if the other car was a truck/SUV with bumpers at the same level as my grille or taillights. Hell, I've used my car to bump-start friends' cars, and the front license plate shows it. :lol:

1st off if you are going to do anything, make sure you do it with 48 hours of the accident, I believe that's the time limit for notifying the authorities in the case of minor vehicle scrapes. Not positive though. DO notify them though if for no other reason than to get the guy to start paying attention when he backs up. Your car could have been a person, and we don't have bumpers ;)

You'd also be surprised at what vehicles can take, I was pulling up to my stop sign, it's at a T,I live in the country, dirt roads, and this little saturn comes flying down the cross street sees me, slams its brakes and slides right up to me and wedges itself under my truck. So I hope out go look at the front of my truck, turn around get back in and back off of his car. The only damage to either vehicle was a plastic license plate pin that broke off of my front bumper.

so we shook just shook hands and left.

Someone hit me on Thusday turning right. I was going straight over at a cross roads, he was turning right and he truend straight into the side of my car. Damage was minor, the paint has been scuffed and the trims broke but his whole attitude stank. It was 100% his fault, you never presume nothing is coming when you can't see past the car infront. But he was completley unapologetic, even though he knew it was his fault there was no sorry or anything like that.

I don't understand what peoples' problem is...

When I was driving my dad's mercedes, some guy in a Legacy backed into it while getting out of a parallel parking spot - I was coming out of a shop and saw him do it. I politely walked up and knocked on his window, saying "Excuse me, you just backed into my car". He flat denied it, while I insisted that "Yes, you did". He muttered something and said "Have a nice day", while pulling away.

No damage to the Mercedes - This one had real bumpers on it. I hope he scratched his car, though. Prick.

I know that I'd at least consider that I made a mistake if I were in even a minor accident, and apologise profusely either way.
Some people...

You are lucky. Over New Year's, while visiting some friends, I was treated to someone crunching my truck in a parking lot while I was eating. I returned home to discover a large dent under my taillight, just in front of my rear bumper, and fair amount of mulch ground under my bed liner and and along a new scratch on the bed they left me with too (most likely a landscaping truck). I was quite miffed. My truck is old and worn, but I'd at least like to be the one in charge of roughing it up.

He muttered something and said "Have a nice day", while pulling away.

No damage to the Mercedes - This one had real bumpers on it. I hope he scratched his car, though. Prick.

That's when you take out your car key and press the tip to the car. If they try to drive off, they get a nice, big scratch along their side.

I got hit today as well. A car grazed me while turning past me in a shopping centre car park. There was no note, no kind of apology or contact details: they'd obviously seen that they'd hit me and either didn't care or seen that they hadn't done much damage and drove off.

He was trying to get smart with you, so now make him pay; make a crack on your front bumper, file a police report, and make him pay for a new one.

Worst advice ever.

Look, if there's no damage, don't sweat it. If there's damage, file the report. The situation is fairly simple. Good job getting his plate.

I got hit in 2005 jan my girlfriend was driving my Uber fast moogen jdn pontiac sunbird some f-150 pulled out in front of us messed us up real good. Lucky me it was a company truck for some landscaping co. i couldnt remember anything for like 3-4 days (i dont remember) but we did get some nice money out of it. my gf bought a 07 impreza i was all like o noe u got the wrong one (non turbo) its nice tho.

O ya i now make mufflers for the ford f-150s is that irony?

I got hit in 2005 jan my girlfriend was driving my Uber fast moogen jdn pontiac sunbird some f-150 pulled out in front of us messed us up real good. Lucky me it was a company truck for some landscaping co. i couldnt remember anything for like 3-4 days (i dont remember) but we did get some nice money out of it. my gf bought a 07 impreza i was all like o noe u got the wrong one (non turbo) its nice tho.

Are you serious? You should just kinda...go away...before the inevitable happens...

Better yet, stick around, there's bound to be some hilarity out of your future.

Reading that felt like getting repeatedly hit in the face with a bag of randomly chosen cyrillic-alphabet blocks.

Reading that felt like getting repeatedly hit in the face with a bag of randomly chosen cyrillic-alphabet blocks.

why stop at cyrillic? toss in a few chinese characters and japanese for "ownt"

you should at the very least report him to the police otherwise he might get it into his head that he can get away with it all the time. and then you'll be partly responsable for the next smash and dash he does.

I want to punch you in the face.

So bad.

Umm im sorry but yea i do make mufflers for them now.

yes i did that on purpose i thought it would be funny to give people siezures

omgwtfbbqrofflecake

i punched myself in my typing hand i will never use those "words" again

Umm im sorry but yea i do make mufflers for them now.

yes i did that on purpose i thought it would be funny to give people siezures

omgwtfbbqrofflecake

i punched myself in my typing hand i will never use those "words" again

I hope you lose your hands in a freak muffler-making accident. So that you can never type, or drive again.

Back