My car will not start.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Delirious
  • 10 comments
  • 848 views

Delirious

Meh
Premium
Messages
2,614
Messages
Metroider17
95 Ford Taurus

When I turn the key over, it sounds like it is starting but does not make any progress. It doesn't cut out or anything. It sounds like something is missing, that something that tells the motor "start!"

If you need anymore details or description or even sound, let me know.
​
 
Ensure that it is getting fuel.
If it is, you probably have some sort of computer issue.
If not, change the fuel filters, and check the fuel pump.
 
My dad just came in and said he got it to turn over and now thinks it is the fuel pump (I came home later and it would still not start...I am not a mechanic by any means of the imagination, but my dad is)
 
My grandma's car recently refused to start in a Target parking lot, I went over and fixed it for her, turned out to be the ignition control module, or igniter if you prefer. I usually start by checking for spark, then fuel and air.
 
If it is plugs, go to your favorite auto parts store, get yourself a spark plug tester. Disconnect the battery (just to make sure you don't get injured if the engine fires) put it on the plug(s) and check if the light flashes/blinks/lights up if it doesn't flash/blink/light up then you have bad plugs. If you're still unsure, take it to Autozone or a dealership and have them run a diagnostic test. (At autozone they do the test for free)
 
My grandma's car recently refused to start in a Target parking lot, I went over and fixed it for her, turned out to be the ignition control module, or igniter if you prefer. I usually start by checking for spark, then fuel and air.

that is an good process to use.

And I think that if its been about 30-50,000 miles since the plugs were last checked or changed that its a good chance that its the sparks.

If the engine is making an almost metal to metal noise then try cranking the engine a few times and check the engine to make sure you didnt flood it. If you did then fuel is not your problem, if not it is your problem and you'll need that fuel pump.

If its not one of those two things then its something in the computer somewhere which it will be more complicated to find... good luck though
 
I'm going to assume a couple things here, correct me If I'm wrong.

1) Turn your key to the acc position, do you hear anything? You should hear a whrr, that's your fuel pump. If it's silent, you have a bad fuel pump.

2) Could be your timing belt, have you looked under the hood yet, in that area? I'm more than positive that car has a non-interference engine, wich would mean that your pistons are moving up and down but the valves aren't opening. No matter how hard you stuggle, you can't breathe underwater without a snorkel right?...

3) Spark may be an issue, get another person to help you. Have them sit in the drivers seat, and unplug the main wire from your distributor cap, hold that close but not touching the engine block. If you don't get a spark when the turn the key, well then there's no spark.
 
1) Turn your key to the acc position, do you hear anything? You should hear a whrr, that's your fuel pump. If it's silent, you have a bad fuel pump.

If you did this with my car you'd be replacing a perfectly good fuel pump :) On mine, the fuel pump turns on either when the car is starting, or when the ignition is on AND the air flow meter is detecting air flow, basically so the pump turns off if the engine is not running. I don't know how common this is, but I would at least use a multimeter on the pump to make sure it's getting voltage before spending the money to replace it.


So is the car running again yet? :)
 
Using a spray bottle of water on the plug wires in the dark can help you see if the wires are arcing.
 
Does it happen when the engine is cold or when it is warm? A faulty thermostat can cause intemittent starting problems.
 
There might be a slight chance that your idle air control valve might be sticking closed. (I have the same problem with my '99 Taurus) Next time you start it, try giving it a bit of gas and see if that helps.
 
Back