My dirt bike

• Thread starter Thiele
  • 5 comments
GTP_Thiele (PSP only)
nope
I know it's not much, but this is my 1981 Suzuki 75cc:

Don't ask why i put the old car rego on it... :dopey:

It has a few problems, for some reason the accelerator sticks when i take it off and it always stalls. There is also a minor problem with the clutch. It has a 4-speed manual gearbox, and the top speed's about 80km/hr. Probably worth about $500AU.

You should take that center stand off,them things are heavy.You may need to oil up the trottle twist,as for the clutch,do you have to use it?.:dunce:

I probably should take the stand off, it's broken and keeps falling down. :dunce:

I think you have to use the clutch. :dunce: I think it wrecks the gearbox if you don't. :boggled: I've not used it a few times.

The way motorbike gearboxes are made you SHOULD be able to up-shift without the clutch, its just down-shifting you shouldn't really do clutchless (i think thats right anyway) Idle problem could be a worn carb (my '84 TS50X never idled because of this) or the idle jet could be blocked/set badly, my suggestion is take the carb off and clean it, if that doesnt work see if it gets better with the idle turned way up :)

sticky throttle could be just dirty, if so a good oiling might fix it. the other possibility is that the slide is sticking on the inside, that might also be cured by cleaning the carb out (bearing in mind if its original equiptment its going to be 27 years old by now and could probably do with it)

you should have an adjuster for the clutch at both ends, try unscrewing the one at the lever end a bit, this should in effect make the cable shorter, therefore pulling on the clutch quicker :)

hope this is of some use to you :)

You can easily upshift a bike without the clutch, just back off the gas at the same time you work the shifter, but if you miss the shift, like not quite enough force on the shifter, then without the clutch bad things are gonna happen in the tranny.

Never downshift wiothout the clutch, and never work the shifter of a bike that's not running.

Back