My DRS doesn't work in races!

• Thread starter Phoeebees
  • 20 comments
My DRS works fine in practice and quallys but in te race I can't use it, I use the far chase view and on that it's green when I can use it in practice and qually but on race day it's gray and doesn't go green!
Please help, I can't race properly without it! :(

I know some rules, coz I do follow f1. And like how you can o ly use it after 2 laps. But like it doesn't switch on after the 2 laps?

Have you gone past the detection zone? Are you within 1 second of the driver ahead?

You can't just use DRS whenever you want. That would be KERS.

Tree'd.

Yep :) dude you don't have to be mean, I'm asking for help. Wait so in the game I have to be behind a car and in the DRS zone for it to work? Coz I'll be the first car in a line on a long straight and I'll get overtaken so quicky. I'll be using Kers and I'll still be overtaken

Yep :) dude you don't have to be mean, I'm asking for help. Wait so in the game I have to be behind a car and in the DRS zone for it to work? Coz I'll be the first car in a line on a long straight and I'll get overtaken so quicky. I'll be using Kers and I'll still be overtaken

Who's being mean? :odd:

If you're in front, as in first place, it doesn't matter whether you've passed the detection zone or not...you can't use DRS, only KERS. The game is just like the actual event, follows the same rules and procedures.

Wait so in the game I have to be behind a car and in the DRS zone for it to work?
That's half of it. DRS can only be used from the beginning of the third lap. In order to be able to use it, you have to meet certain conditions: firstly, you must be within one second of the car in front when you cross the detection line (a white line across the circuit). Secondly, you can only use it within a designated area of the circuit. For example, in Melbourne, the detection point comes between turns 13 and 14 (the two right-handers after the fast chicane at the end of the lap). The activation point comes just before the final turn. You may use DRS along the main straight provided that you are within one second of the car in front and until such time as you brake (which will automatically close the flap in the rear wing).

You will need to explore each circuit to find the activation and detection points. The activation point in particular is marked by a white sign on the outside of the circuit that reads DRS. If you're still unsure, the DRS indicator on the HUD (or on the steering wheel if you use the driver's POV) should light up when you are eligible to use it.

Is it not always on the main straight? Just did a GP at Maylasia and it never let me use DRS even when following

No it is not always on the main straight. However, it should be on the main straight in Malaysia, because that's where it was placed in the actual race. If you're following and cannot use DRS, then you're probably not close enough to the car in front.

Here's a full list of every DRS zone, up to and including Monza:
Australia - front straight
Malaysia - front straight
China - the long back straight
Turkey - back straight, after the kink
Spain - front straight
Monaco - front straight, use banned in tunnel*
Canada - longest straight and pit straight (two zones, one activation point)*
Valencia - first straight after the bridge, approach to Turn 17 hairping (two zones, one activation point)*
Great Britain - Wellington Straight (behind the old pits)
Germany - back straight to the chicane, including the kink
Hungary - front straight
Belgium - Raidillon to Les Combes, banned through Eau Rouge*
Italy - pit straight, and the straight from the second Lesmo to Ascari (two zones, two activation poitns)*

* - I don't know if Codemasters have been able to simulate these restrictions and extra zones.

As for Singapore, Japan, South Korea, India, Abu Dhabi and Brazil, Codies had to take an educated guess about where each zone would go. I do know the zone for India is along the longest straight, and in Brazil, it's along the front straight.

You need to be a second behind them when you cross the activation point, which comes just before the final corner. If you're more than a second behind when you cross the line, you won't get the DRS - even if you're within a second when you enter the physical DRS zone. So I'm guessing you heavily braked going into the final corner and caught up very quickly. Either that, or it was on the first two laps of the race, within two laps of te safety car pitting, or in the wet.

You need to be a second behind them when you cross the activation point, which comes just before the final corner. If you're more than a second behind when you cross the line, you won't get the DRS - even if you're within a second when you enter the physical DRS zone. So I'm guessing you heavily braked going into the final corner and caught up very quickly. Either that, or it was on the first two laps of the race, within two laps of te safety car pitting, or in the wet.

Yes this makes sense, thanks for the info 👍

Yep 🙂 dude you don't have to be mean, I'm asking for help. Wait so in the game I have to be behind a car and in the DRS zone for it to work? Coz I'll be the first car in a line on a long straight and I'll get overtaken so quicky. I'll be using Kers and I'll still be overtaken
yes you have to be within 1 second of the car infront for DRS to work

Back