My Experience about the GT Academy

• Thread starter Bassie52
  • 0 comments
Netherlands
Netherlands
Hi guys,

My name is Bas, one of the winners of the Dutch GT Academy national finals and I would like to share my experience of the GT Academy.

First of all, the one's who did go to Abu Dhabi, I hope you had a great team a learned a lot!

Until 29 September I was sure I was going to Abu Dhabi, but on that day I got a phone call from Laurence Wiltshire that I was disqualified for the GT Academy European Finals. I was disqualified due to my karting experience on a national level, I raced for six years on a national level.
I was very upset about this, because just two days after the national finals I had to fill in some paperwork and was very open about my karting experience, because all my results are on the internet. I even called with the Nissan importeur and with the organisation if my karting experience was a problem, because off the regulations and they say that it was no problem at all. They even confirmed this by mail. All my preparations off fitness, private lessons in English (I am not that good with foreign languages) and I even arranged a test in a professional simulator by a raceteam, it was all for nothing.
I got this message just three days before the flight to Abu Dhabi, the national finals in the Netherlands were at 26 july.

But the thing that was really upsetting my was that the first reserve even had more karting experience than me, at least 10 years indoor and outdoor championships and even had a driving license and raced on a low level at the track of Zandvoort. Nevertheless, he was winner of the Red Bull Kart fight and raced a lot at the indoor karttrack of Tim Coronel, the coach of team Benelux.

Another guy of the Netherlands was for some reason disqualified and was replaced by someone who has raced with a Seat Leon in several endurance races and raced this year in the 24 hour race in Oschersleben.

Oke, my karting experience was maybe just not within the rules, but they could tell me at the Live event itself.

For my GT Academy is just a complete joke. I spend about some € 3.000,- for preparations on two track days, private lessons in English and some money for a intensive fitness program.

Now I am very busy to turn this story in something positive. I called a local newspaper and TV Broadcaster to tell this story and I contacted some people I know in the world of motorracing to get in touch with teams and possible sponsors.

I am curious about the experience that all the other competitors have about the GT Academy.

Back