My experience at the 2014 GT Academy NA Race Camp

• Thread starter iGoFast
  • 7 comments
Canada
GTP_T-L
Turismo-lester
I have the emails I sent to my family while at racecamp. This seems like a good place for them!

Today we all got fitted for our gear then did a medical and pee test (I passed ^^). Then we had to run 5.6 km around the road bordering silverstone which sucked balls but I was the first of my group of 4 to finish. Immediately after we got back we had to sprint up and down this hill as many times as we could in 2 min and then as many push ups as we could do in 1 min. It was awful but I did ok. Then we did a while bunch of media interviews and photo shoots in our race suits. We're staying at race camp from here on out it's a really sweet building but the snooze box we were at last night were way better and the showers are ice cold. Talk to ya tomorrow, pretty sure we're racing =)

Omg what an exhausting day. Started out really fun tho in the 370z on the Stowe circuit. Then off to this drifting/donut challenge in a caterham 7. After that we came back to Stowe and got to review our telemetry with the instructors and judges and did more 370z laps right after. Then we got the lap times for the 370z which was our first benchmark challenge, I ended up 3rd with some really good improvement less than .5 off first. Then we got to drive these amazing open wheel cars kinda like a mini f1 but felt like a giant kart and absolutely killed it! They didn't give us our times but pretty sure I was the quickest. We started out in 2 groups, I was in first in my group by the end of the first lap and even caught and passed 3 people in the other group. Then we went to the proper f1 pit where there were 4 gtr waiting for us. The thing is a beast! Over 5 hundred horse power really gets your attention. As if all this wasn't enough, the biggest part of competition was still to come - the quadrathalon. Actually more of a pentathlon, but who's counting. Started by pulling one of those open wheel cars about 50 meters, then took of the harness and started running. I was probably about 5th or 6th when we started to run but quickly got into 3rd and then in the final stretch I passed 2nd. First place was long long gone tho. There was 9 open wheel cars available after the run so 3 people didn't get one but I did of course. Quickly suited up and took off for 3 laps and onto one of only 7 bikes. Legs still burning from the run (and yesterdays huge run) I gave it my all but first was long gone. At the end of the grueling bike ride I hopped in to one of just 4 gtr for 2 laps of the international circuit. First place was on my butt but I held him off from lapping me and finished on the lead lap. Ended up 2nd which I'm quite happy with. Right after that, the first round of eliminations. 2 people (Matt and Chris) packed there bags. Sorry for such a long email but was a very busy day. So much filming bs in the middle of and during all of it too. Loads of fun. Lots of love =)

Today was much less hectic, but equally busy. We started out with a trip to the London rally school to race buggies. It was a team event and I was paired with Tommy who's pretty solid all round so I was happy with that. The buggies seemed to be of varying speeds tho and ours wasn't great so we qualified 4th out of 5 teams which sucked but I'm used to it from karting. I convinced Tommy to let me start the race because I always pick up a few spots in the early going and low and behold, made a sweet triple pass around the outside of turn 1 to take the lead. About 1 and a half laps in, Edgar got fed up with being behind me and clobbered into me. I kept it together but it slowed us both down and 2 buggies got past. Then on my final lap, I was the victim of attempted murder. Braylon, a known hot head, spun out and went wide off the track while in first. I saw him there on the outside, backed off slightly to safely pass on the inside, when he decided he'd try to 180 back onto the track. With the low powered buggies tho, that was impossible. So what he actually did was floor it in the wrong direction and turn sharply right at me. We had a nasty head on crash and even after plowing into me and ruining my buggy, kept it floored and ran me right into the trees. I'm fine but was seriously pissed off and our race was over. He apologized after the race but that was the most unsafe and idiotic thing I've ever seen. If we were in something faster, I would have been badly injured. The finishing position in the buggies determined our starting position for the afternoons events so we were off to a terrible start. After lunch, we had the overtaking challenge. We had 3 laps to overtake as many cars as we could on Stowe circuit. The cars were all driven by instructors and were, in reverse order, a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, a Lotus, a Nismo 370z, and 3 gtr. We had a gtr too. Got a rocket start over the line and made minced meat of the Ferrari and very short work of the Aston on the back straight. The Lotus had the edge in the bends but I smoked him on the start/finish straight. The Nismo driver was quite crafty at defending and it took me a whole lap to finally get by him but he made me do it on the outside of the start/finish straight and used his weight advantage to bomb back up the inside under braking, forcing me wide in the hairpin and onto the marbles. This gave me poor exit speed onto the back straight but I closed the gap enough to get a good run on him after the turny bits and was just meters away from passing him when the checkered flag waved. Could have been better for sure, but not bad. After that was the rest of the team challenges. We had to choose which of us would do the krazy karts + long boarding or the moto cross + rock climb. Tommy had a bit of motorbike experience and is pretty fit for rock climbing so the choice was easy. After every challenge one team would be ousted for the next part and since we started last in the first challenge, the krazy kart, I knew I had to pass at least one person for us to continue today. Little did I know that I would learn how to drive the thing so well and so quickly that I ended up flying into the lead within 2 laps and lapping everyone at least once by the end of the 8 lap race. Our luck had changed. Tommy then started the moto x in first and did an amazing job. David had actually raced in moto x before but couldn't even get past him til the 2nd last lap and Tommy strolled to a solid second place. Only 3 teams left now and we went of to the long board. Apparently none of the other 2 had skate boarded since there youth and, even then, weren't good. I likely could have won it with 3 wheels, it was the easiest thing I've done in my life. That sent Tommy to the rock wall where he did another solid performance giving us the win and securing our safety for todays elimination (not that we needed it). To all of our amazement, they sent home David. Braylon should have been the easy choice. Clearly there's is more to their decisions than any of us can understand, but at least I know he will be sent home soon enough. 3 people down, 8 to go. Love ya!

Today started with a written test to get our national b license. Was pretty easy and I passed. Then we had a short chat with a sports psych who, as it happened, is also the psych for Liverpool! That was super sweet talking to him about Stevey G among others. Next we headed to the national circuit for some laps with an instructor in the 370z. This proved quite useful as it will likely be the track we use for the final race on Friday, should I make it. After that we came back to Stowe, which is where the race camp is, to try our hand in a full on race version on the 370z. It was really really fun and once again, I learned a lot. In between sessions in that car one of the main judges (Rob Barff) had a chat with me and gave a valuable tip and also said that I was doing really well in all the competitions and to keep doing what I'm doing. This is pretty rare for a judge to say so I was very pleased to hear it. When done, we headed off to the mud mayhem army course. On tv it looked like all fun and games but I assure you was anything but. We were put in groups of 3 and I was stuck with Braylon who can't run worth **** and Alex an ex marine so it wasn't all bad. I think they put me with Braylon to see if I could be a good team player with someone I had such a huge issue with yesterday. The course started out ok and we were in the lead right off the bat. Heading into these friendly looking balls to run through, life changed. One of the army guys through a full on military concussion grenade right into the obstacle with us. It rocked my world! Braylon feel right over from it and Alex and I were badly disoriented and nearly deaf for at least 30 seconds. We toughed through it though and continued to pull a lead on the other teams. A couple obstacles later we got to the electrical wires. The one before that was a rope thing through deep water do were great conductors. From watching past seasons I thought it would be just a gentle buzz, but it was more like the electric chair. I'm not sure if the shock knocked me out or if it made me smack my face into the ground, but either way I woke up in the middle of the wires with a face that felt like a ran into a wall. Undeterred I trudged on. A few obstacles later Braylon started to die out and thus began mine and Alexs biggest challenge. We had to start supporting Braylon along through the rest of the obstacles. Still, we made it to the finish line well ahead of the other groups. After a 2 min rest though we had to start it all over again lap 2 (the final lap, thank Jesus). By this time we were more prepared and accustomed to the concussion and smoke grenades so we made great time through the first 4 obstacles. Then onto the wires part 2. Basically the exact same thing happened as before only this time I'm pretty sure I was out for a while. I woke up with the instructor yelling at me "Keep moving! You can NOT lie down in the course!". That had the benefit of reminding me where I was at least and I gave a mighty yell, and crawled through the rest of it without getting knocked out again. A few, more simple, obstacles later and our lead had stretched immensely but Braylon was in really rough shape and could barely take 2 steps without falling over. Alex (who's quite small but fiddle fit) and I then basically carried Braylon (190 lbs at the least) through the rest if the course which, even without dead weight, was no easy task. We beasted through it though and on the last obstacle (rope climb over a greased up wall) I didn't even waste time with the rope and ran right up the wall barely grabbing on to the top. Alex helped push Braylon up part way and I grabbed him from the top to help the rest. We won by a solid 2 minutes! This determined the start order for our challenge after dinner, the pit stop challenge in the Juke R at national. We all had to drive 2 stints and change the tire 2 times. Alex, who's now a mechanic did awesome on the first two tire changes while Braylon drove. Then I changed the tires while Alex drove and although I didn't do all that well, we had a big lead of about 15 seconds going into the last 2 stints. Braylon (not from lack of effort) screwed up huge both times. It was, I'm sure, because he was still so tired from the mud mayhem. It turned our big lead into even a bigger loss and we finished dead last. This meant that tonight someone from our team was going home. I'm sure I don't need to tell you who, as it was likely the easiest decision the judges well ever make. 4 down, 7 to go. Xoxo

Today started with a written test to get our national b license. Was pretty easy and I passed. Then we had a short chat with a sports psych who, as it happened, is also the psych for Liverpool! That was super sweet talking to him about Stevey G among others. Next we headed to the national circuit for some laps with an instructor in the 370z. This proved quite useful as it will likely be the track we use for the final race on Friday, should I make it. After that we came back to Stowe, which is where the race camp is, to try our hand in a full on race version on the 370z. It was really really fun and once again, I learned a lot. In between sessions in that car one of the main judges (Rob Barff) had a chat with me and gave a valuable tip and also said that I was doing really well in all the competitions and to keep doing what I'm doing. This is pretty rare for a judge to say so I was very pleased to hear it. When done, we headed off to the mud mayhem army course. On tv it looked like all fun and games but I assure you was anything but. We were put in groups of 3 and I was stuck with Braylon who can't run worth **** and Alex an ex marine so it wasn't all bad. I think they put me with Braylon to see if I could be a good team player with someone I had such a huge issue with yesterday. The course started out ok and we were in the lead right off the bat. Heading into these friendly looking balls to run through, life changed. One of the army guys through a full on military concussion grenade right into the obstacle with us. It rocked my world! Braylon feel right over from it and Alex and I were badly disoriented and nearly deaf for at least 30 seconds. We toughed through it though and continued to pull a lead on the other teams. A couple obstacles later we got to the electrical wires. The one before that was a rope thing through deep water do were great conductors. From watching past seasons I thought it would be just a gentle buzz, but it was more like the electric chair. I'm not sure if the shock knocked me out or if it made me smack my face into the ground, but either way I woke up in the middle of the wires with a face that felt like a ran into a wall. Undeterred I trudged on. A few obstacles later Braylon started to die out and thus began mine and Alexs biggest challenge. We had to start supporting Braylon along through the rest of the obstacles. Still, we made it to the finish line well ahead of the other groups. After a 2 min rest though we had to start it all over again lap 2 (the final lap, thank Jesus). By this time we were more prepared and accustomed to the concussion and smoke grenades so we made great time through the first 4 obstacles. Then onto the wires part 2. Basically the exact same thing happened as before only this time I'm pretty sure I was out for a while. I woke up with the instructor yelling at me "Keep moving! You can NOT lie down in the course!". That had the benefit of reminding me where I was at least and I gave a mighty yell, and crawled through the rest of it without getting knocked out again. A few, more simple, obstacles later and our lead had stretched immensely but Braylon was in really rough shape and could barely take 2 steps without falling over. Alex (who's quite small but fiddle fit) and I then basically carried Braylon (190 lbs at the least) through the rest if the course which, even without dead weight, was no easy task. We beasted through it though and on the last obstacle (rope climb over a greased up wall) I didn't even waste time with the rope and ran right up the wall barely grabbing on to the top. Alex helped push Braylon up part way and I grabbed him from the top to help the rest. We won by a solid 2 minutes! This determined the start order for our challenge after dinner, the pit stop challenge in the Juke R at national. We all had to drive 2 stints and change the tire 2 times. Alex, who's now a mechanic did awesome on the first two tire changes while Braylon drove. Then I changed the tires while Alex drove and although I didn't do all that well, we had a big lead of about 15 seconds going into the last 2 stints. Braylon (not from lack of effort) screwed up huge both times. It was, I'm sure, because he was still so tired from the mud mayhem. It turned our big lead into even a bigger loss and we finished dead last. This meant that tonight someone from our team was going home. I'm sure I don't need to tell you who, as it was likely the easiest decision the judges well ever make. 4 down, 7 to go. Xoxo
That was actually an awesome read :) better than Stephen King

Today was a bit more simple, but super long and supremely fun! First up was our second benchmark challenge. It was in a right hand drive 370z with only 2 laps instead of 6 and the track was a lot cooler so I'm not sure if I improved from the first one. They didn't give us our times. Either way, I put in a solid lap. Then they drove us off to an old army base for the gymkhana challenge. It was awesome! We started with a big drift around the start gate, a small slalom around some barrels, slipping through a narrow car shaped cut out in a foam wall, and a couple barrel gates. Then the real fun began. They had this super tight double hairpin on a soaped up plastic mat that was to tight to get through without sliding the ass end out but so narrow that you could only slide a very small amount. After that were these 2 giant water balloons suspended by a crane, one on either side of a barrel. There was a tiny razor attached to the roof and we had to drive in a circle and pop both. Once completed, we drifted a loop around a tank that had someone poking out the top shooting paintballs at us. Then we ripped to a stopping gate. It was here we had to wait for any time penalties accrued (10 sec for hitting the foam gate, 5 sec for a missed balloon, 2 sec for hitting a cone). When ready, a 270° reverse turn took us back to the slippery hairpins. A few more barrel gates and a slalom took us to the finish. As there were 8 of us, we raced head to head on mirrored courses in a tournament whereby the winner from each race was safe, and the loser went on to the next round. Lose 3 in a row and your race from virtual to reality was all over. I won the first race with relative ease so got to sit back and watch as Edgar (a cool guy I developed a good friendship with) eventually got eliminated. Sad, but all a part of it. When that was done, we went off to an oval track for some stock car racing in these beat up miniscule micras. It was incredibly fun, as light contact was not only ok, but encouraged. The 7 of us had to cars each. One for practice and qualifying, one for the 30 lap race. My first car was a not of a lemon I think, and I qualified 6th. This really put me in my comfort zone though as it's what I'm used to from karting. My race car was more competitive it seemed and I got one of the best starts ever! The nanosecond the green flag waved, I rocketed up the middle of the two cars in front of me (4th and 5th) and by the end of the lap I got another spot after narrowly avoiding being smashed into the wall. Within a few laps I lost a place in the scuffle but went on to finish in a solid 4th place. The judges commented on what a lightning start I got and seemed quite pleased with the performance. After a bit of deliberation, they sent home Donald. 6 down, 5 to go. Lots of love!

Made it to the final 4 but finished 3rd in the final race. In the end it was down to me and Nicholas, we both did really well all week. He won the final race, and deserved the grand victory. The judges said that if there was a prize for second, I'd win hands down. I gave it my all, I hope you are still proud of me. It was and still is, the saddest moment of my life, and the most I have ever cried. In the end though I learned more about racing in one week than most people do in a lifetime, and am very satisfied with the whole experience. I left home a driver, and will return as a racer. Thank you so much for all the love and support throughout the entirety of this adventure. See you soon! Love Mark

Back