My experience with GTacademy and what should you expect when you qualify [thoughts]

sems4arsenal

Nissan Sunny FTW
Premium
Egypt
Cairo, Egypt
GTP_SEMS
This thread has been long overdue, I've been asked by several people to do this but alas I got caught up in college (very tough semister) and the fact that I'm lazy. I apologize for not writing this before fellow GTPers did this year's European gtacademy. I'll keep it short-ish and will probably edit it more as I recall other stuff but anyway let's get cracking.

My name is Ali "sems" samy, a 21 year old egyptian Playstation and GT fan, I qualified to represent Northafrica (Egypt, Algeria and Morroco.

Anyway a disclamer it's been years since I drove a manual transmission cars, aside from a few karting track days for fun I have zero racing experience so any racing knowledge I had was 100% virtual.

Let's get down to the important bit.

You'll need to know one very important thing, it was a bit of a given but I atleast wasn't sure it is that evident to that degree, this is a reality TV show, it's primary goal aside from adding a driver to Nissan's family is to get big views to sell Nissan cars, this is what pays the bills so that is understandable.

You don't have to be the best driver to win, I've had big issues with my gear shifting due to the lack of my experience, which is why my best day was the first when most of the cars we drove were paddle shifted. Anyway let's get to the contreversy (no I don't mean my spelling), on the first day it was all time trials on different cars, anyway by the next day we get to know who did best, we were a team of six and although aside from one event a maximum of 3 were allowed on track at once, however at the end of the day we had an idea about our speeds, they would only tell us who the fastest two were the next day and we had it narrowed down to 3 of us (in our opinions) and we also knew who was the slowest (even the guy himself agreed he is the slowest), the results however were a bit of a shock, I was the fastest (not unexpected) but the guy we all were sure was the slowest (I even lapped him in an event) was second fastest. Playing the devil's advocate here but ofcourse seeing something isn't the same as collecting lap times but it was the first 'weird' thing to happen.

What was even more strange is we got told the fastest two will be safe regardless of the results in the fitness test the following day, however one of the top 2 from mexico got eliminated after his team lost the fitness challenge.

Also the decision regarding who the seconf person from Team NA will be eliminated was changed suddenly at midnight the day before the announcment.

Now on to the TV side of things, you do a lot of interviews (and I mean a lot) and the cameras are very in your face (an occasion where one of my team mates asked them to stop filming so that he can shout at another who was being an utter 🤬 was proof of that (the camera crew ignored him and filmed the whole thing) but you might get used to it.

The challenges that were made for TV were an issue, the buggy and monster truck challenges in particular were in my opinion useless in picking out a driver (weirdly team USA opted out of the Monster truck challenge and did another one).

Now all of that did not affect me but the last team challenge was a bit of a sham, it was the stock car challenge, now before the race we were clealy instructed that in case of yellow flags you do not exceed 10-20 miles and hour. During the race while I was in second some yellow flags were out, now I did lower my speed immediatly as to follow regulation also we decided to do the driver swap then under the yellows, the problem was this was a bit early in the race, so while I was entering the pits they thought I was retiring so they stopped me in the wrong area losing valuable time, but the main thing was that all the other teams ignored the yellow flag completly and not one of them was penalized, all of this meant we were done for and we finished fourth.

Finally as I'm sure you know, team turkey won the last race not team Australia but the winner was crowned the Aussie not the turk HOWEVER, I've spoken to several instructors and they all said Matt was the fastest through out the days, that plus the fact the Turkish guy didn't speak any English (they care a lot about this) meant it was hard to pick the Turk.

Now there are some issues but in my honest opinion I don't think they favored anyone, and like I said I was on the wrong end of some decisions, but the things to know as you're preparing for next year's gtacademy are.

Nissan have been trying to reduce the number of drivers they get (they only have so many seats) so you need to practice a lot because they need to be impressed, spend whatever money you can and learn as much as you can from videos or track day vets, etc....

This is a TV show, not all challenges are designed to pick the best driver in general, work on how to handle pressure and reactions time.

In the end, I again apologize for not writting this before as I felt whoever goes there can benefit from this information but hopefully the 2016 candidates will learn something valuable. And please feel free to ask me anything else..... except for why do you hate standard cars so much :P :gtplanet:

Last edited:
Nice write up, I will add this to my list of experiences for GT Academy 2016. :) Hopefully I can stop the Aussies for a consecutive victory and stand for 'murica. (If I can get that far, I hope.) :lol: :gtplanet:

Nice write up, I will add this to my list of experiences for GT Academy 2016. :) Hopefully I can stop the Aussies for a consecutive victory and stand for 'murica. (If I can get that far, I hope.) :lol: :gtplanet:

Glad I helped, you boys were unlucky in the race I'm sure you'll win next year.
it is said that they don^t care about finding a fast driver ..... :/

Nah trust me, they very much care about this. ;)

Although I never went to Abu Dhabi I can agree with you, sems4arsenal. I hope still had a great time and make it into motorsport.

This is my story of the GT Academy:

My name is Bas, one of the winners of the Dutch GT Academy national finals and I would like to share my experience of the GT Academy.

First of all, the one's who did go to Abu Dhabi, I hope you had a great team a learned a lot!

Until 29 September I was sure I was going to Abu Dhabi, but on that day I got a phone call from Laurence Wiltshire that I was disqualified for the GT Academy European Finals. I was disqualified due to my karting experience on a national level, I raced for six years on a national level.
I was very upset about this, because just two days after the national finals I had to fill in some paperwork and was very open about my karting experience, because all my results are on the internet. I even called with the Nissan importeur and with the organisation if my karting experience was a problem, because off the regulations and they say that it was no problem at all. They even confirmed this by mail. All my preparations off fitness, private lessons in English (I am not that good with foreign languages) and I even arranged a test in a professional simulator by a raceteam, it was all for nothing.
I got this message just three days before the flight to Abu Dhabi, the national finals in the Netherlands were at 26 july.

But the thing that was really upsetting my was that the first reserve even had more karting experience than me, at least 10 years indoor and outdoor championships and even had a driving license and raced on a low level at the track of Zandvoort. Nevertheless, he was winner of the Red Bull Kart fight and raced a lot at the indoor karttrack of Tim Coronel, the coach of team Benelux.

Another guy of the Netherlands was for some reason disqualified and was replaced by someone who has raced with a Seat Leon in several endurance races and raced this year in the 24 hour race in Oschersleben.

Oke, my karting experience was maybe just not within the rules, but they could tell me at the Live event itself.

For my GT Academy is just a complete joke. I spend about some € 3.000,- for preparations on two track days, private lessons in English and some money for a intensive fitness program.

Now I am very busy to turn this story in something positive. I called a local newspaper and TV Broadcaster to tell this story and I contacted some people I know in the world of motorracing to get in touch with teams and possible sponsors.

I am curious about the experience that all the other competitors have about the GT Academy.

I will probably make it to national finals or Silverstone final next year. I was only 4 positions of.... 24th instead of 20... so close... next year is going to be fun. :) then Ill get a to write up my own experiences. :D

@Bassie52 Sad to hear about this, the whole no racing experience thing is a bit foggy, as some competitors do have a lot when they go so the rules are a bit foggy there. Best of luck in your future career.

@Bassie52 Sad to hear about this, the whole no racing experience thing is a bit foggy, as some competitors do have a lot when they go so the rules are a bit foggy there. Best of luck in your future career.
I trying to get as much experience as possible that doesn't really hold real weight. like a racing license... staying far away from that stuff. :)

Silly questions but :

Do you keep anything afterwards ? As in Overalls and other stuff you wear in the show?

And do they give you anything ?

Oh lastly, have you (or any of the drivers that didn't win) been contacted by any other teams ? I really think some teams should use the show to scout drivers. :P

Silly questions but :

Do you keep anything afterwards ? As in Overalls and other stuff you wear in the show?

And do they give you anything ?

Oh lastly, have you (or any of the drivers that didn't win) been contacted by any other teams ? I really think some teams should use the show to scout drivers. :P

Like Nick said, you get some team shirts both cotton and lightweight, some shorts, and thats it. You get to keep your velcro name badge that's on your suit.

You have the option to purchase your kit. But most of it is a few years old and not in the best condition.

I haven't been contacted by any team regarding a drive. It has opened up doors for me and opportunities etc., but you still need to have to cash to be able to walk through those doors.

I will add a few things from Team NA side of things.

All 6 of us in team USA were within a couple seconds of each other in every event. Even Wolfgang admitted that this was one of the hardest teams to be a part of, so most of our eliminations came down to who is a better fit for the role (personality wise). Also, after the show was over, I had the chance to speak to a few judges, and it seemed like the winner would be either from team USA or team AUS due to the deep talent pool (Not to take anything away from the other teams).

Another thing is, most people here are bitter about their experience, but I feel otherwise. I got to drive some amazing cars on amazing race circuits. So not much to complain about there. Then again, my view is only from Team NA side of things. I cant speak on behalf of any other team.

And one last thing, they DO care about the fastest driver. There are certain attributes they look for in a driver. They look for people that can take instructions and apply them immediately. They dont care about how fast you are out of the box, they care about how fast you can be in the future. So, to say they arent looking for the fastest driver is incorrect. If they wanted a fast driver, im sure there at least 200 pro drivers they can hire with half the money they spend on the show and driver development program.

Agree with @LoCoArMeN AFter spealing to several instructors as well, Matt Simmons has been very fast through out all the days, as evident with him progressing to GT3 straight away.

Completely agree with Josh.

I'm not sure about the other race camps, but Abu Dhabi was absolutely not a search for the fastest driver. It was entirely a tv show, and whoever had that bit of luck to get to the end had a shot of winning.

People will no doubt say me and other unsuccessful finalists are bitter etc, but they weren't there, they don't know what went on.

Back