My Fanatec shifters don't work well in GT5

• Thread starter Chibana
  • 2 comments
ChibanaChosin
I'm not sure if this belongs here or in the GT5 section, but here goes. I have the Porsche GT3RS wheel, CSP, and CSS (which I just purchased a week or two ago). This problem happens with the standard Porsche shifter and the new CSS (not surprisingly). What happens is that the shifter works fine at first (for a lap or two, perhaps), then it starts acting up. I will shift into third, for example, but what I get in-game is neutral. It will either show 3rd gear on-screen but act like it's in neutral, or it will actually show N on-screen. I have to try several times sometimes to get it to go into gear properly, and sometimes it never does and I give up and go to paddles. Sometimes the problem gets worse over the course of a couple of laps so that I have to give up and use the paddles.

This problem seemed to start after a recent GT5 software update (three or four updates ago). Before that the problem happened only rarely, and it seemed to be more of a timing issue on my part with the clutch and shifter. I had the same problem with the shifter on the G25 I had prior to this system. Calibrating the shifters had no effect.

Last night I busted out "Need for Speed: Shift 2" (which I hate because I can't get the steering to feel natural no matter how I mess with the settings in-game and in-wheel). I couldn't get the problem to happen in that game, although I would have to play much more and longer to be 100% sure.

I would simply blame GT5, but it seems like if this were totally the fault of the game, many others here would be complaining bitterly, and I don't see it. Maybe my site search skills just aren't all that mad. This is a major issue for me, as I want the true manual transmission driving experience, both for fun and also to make this as realistic as possible. This issue is making me consider selling this system and getting the T500RS with the shifter. While I would love that shifter (and maybe the wheel, although I like my Fanatec wheel just fine), I would *hate* to give up my Club Sport Pedals, which rock.

Any thoughts on what's going on and how to fix it?

It is a gt5 issue. Any clutch/h combo will do this. You must be 100% off the gas when you shift otherwise you will end up in neutral.

Thanks, Caz.

That appears to be it, but what a PITA. I have a hard time understanding how this could have made it past beta testing. It's manageable on straight, easy sections of tracks, but not so much in tighter portions where rapid gear changes are a necessity. And it definitely got much worse for me a while back with a GT5 update. Frustrating. I miss GTR2 in many ways, but I don't do the PC game thing, anymore.

Back