My favourite part of the GT5 career: no drifting required

  • Thread starter Thread starter gambleboyen
  • 27 comments
  • 2,493 views
Messages
1,796
Messages
Gambleboyen
I'm so glad drift races are not madatory to complete this game. Yes we can do drift races, but it's kind of a "side quest".

In other race games, I tend to quit playing when I have to do drift races to go on in the career. It's not that I can't do them, it's just that they are so bloody boring.
 
gambleboyen
I'm so glad drift races are not madatory to complete this game. Yes we can do drift races, but it's kind of a "side quest".

In other race games, I tend to quit playing when I have to do drift races to go on in the career. It's not that I can't do them, it's just that they are so bloody boring.

I wish they were part of the special events. Why? You ask?....well the more stuff to do the better.
 
I wish they were part of GT5, more events the better. I have no interest in racing trucks/pick ups whatever you want to call them but I still did the race and wouldnt say I wanted them removed
 
I wish they were part of the special events. Why? You ask?....well the more stuff to do the better.

I wish they were part of GT5, more events the better. I have no interest in racing trucks/pick ups whatever you want to call them but I still did the race and wouldnt say I wanted them removed

I agree. While I really don't like drifting much at all, a few drifting events would have been nice. They included it in practice and arcade and included many popular drift cars, they may as well put some actual events in. Pick a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place score you have to achieve and you've got an event.

Nobody is making you complete all the events if you don't like them. I've certainly skipped events I have no interest in.
 
Yes, I agree they shouldn't be part of A-Spec, but they should definitely make a way for drifters to make some money. They could make Online Events that require you to reach a certain drift point level for money or something. It would allow people that only want to drift to make money that way.
 
I'd sooner race cars than make them scream sideways round corners.
 
I wish they were special events. A drift school would have been cool an added some more to the game.
 
Yes we can do drift races, but it's kind of a "side quest".

They're not even side quests. Drifting in GT5 is nothing more than a minigame, which I think is a missed opportunity. A drifting event in A-spec/special events would have been great, and could have taught new players more about the physics of the game.
 
It pisses me off that the special events were dumbed down to nothing but mini games. While games like GT2 had special events feel like actual races.
 
Drifting is fun.
And also epic with GT5's engine.
 
after practicing for a month i can drift now , i havent mastered it yet but im getting good i love it ..
Drifting is Fun , not boring
 
I like drifting I just can't.

Same here... there have been the odd races where the back of my car has lost grip and I've been able to hold the slide and straighten it out which is really fun when I've succeeded. I think if I manage to devote some time to practice drifting I'd enjoy it a lot more... it's just that I still have a lot of other stuff I'd rather do first in GT5.
 
I suck at drifting and don't like it very much, but I recon a special event as well as a drifting license would've been a good idea.
 
I'm not a big fan of drifting, but I wouldn't say it's boring, more like pointless... I'd lump it in with something like monster trucks, or drag boats, or lawnmower races. For me the novelty wears off fast.

Still, they bothered to build it into the game, and I agree with some of the other comments that I could have enjoyed it as a short special event.

Would rather have more rally though...
 
Last edited:
GT5 has "career"?...all I know is that it has "so-called career"...anyway I like how drifting works in the game...
 
GT5 has "career"?...all I know is that it has "so-called career"...anyway I like how drifting works in the game...

I guess you're right about it being more "career" than career :p
 
Some people have said drifting is boring, and I respect that, its their opinion. What I dont understand is how going 90 degrees sideways into a corner at over 100mph while inches from another car's door is boring. The smoke, the intensity, being on the edge of losing control. I guess driving in a straight line IS more exciting.
 
Some people have said drifting is boring, and I respect that, its their opinion. What I dont understand is how going 90 degrees sideways into a corner at over 100mph while inches from another car's door is boring. The smoke, the intensity, being on the edge of losing control. I guess driving in a straight line IS more exciting.

Drifting in actual racing with opponents all over you is one thing. Drifting all alone on the track is something completely different.
 
Drifting in actual racing with opponents all over you is one thing. Drifting all alone on the track is something completely different.

That is very true. Thats why you should never drift alone, its always a lot more fun drifting with friends, trying for close tandems and having a good time. 👍
 
gambleboyen
Drifting in actual racing with opponents all over you is one thing. Drifting all alone on the track is something completely different.

But drifting does not exist in "actual racing" - as it will always be slower to drift unless you're on snow, gravel, or dirt. I get the idea of multiple cars drifting on track but it's not racing, more like a car version of synchronized swimming.

Actually, here's a good one...drifting is kind of like a slam dunk competition whereas racing is like an actual basketball game, it's fun every once in a while but you can't really make a whole series out of it.
 
Last edited:
But drifting does not exist in "actual racing" - as it will always be slower to drift unless you're on snow, gravel, etc... I get the idea of multiple cars drifting on track but it's not racing, more like a car version of synchronized swimming,

I was talking about it as when you lose control over your car, hence having you opponents all over you. I was not referring to trying to impress that one female spectator in the whole of GT5.
 
Ok, but watch out as "drifting" usually refers to the "sport" in which you're judged on the style of your driving... in a race it's just making a mistake but having a cool looking recovery
 
But drifting does not exist in "actual racing" - as it will always be slower to drift unless you're on snow, gravel, or dirt..

This is not entirely true. The whole drifting started when people with turbo cars were competing in tight japanese mountain roads and realised that drifting in turn made you shoot out from some corners faster due that boost was kept up with dirfting. I think those days turbo cars had large lags and it made more sense than with new cars.
 
I agree, especially since when i do a proper 4 wheel drift (i.e. no countersteer, steering with the throttle, the original definition of drifting) it tends to not count points.


This is not entirely true. The whole drifting started when people with turbo cars were competing in tight japanese mountain roads and realised that drifting in turn made you shoot out from some corners faster due that boost was kept up with dirfting. I think those days turbo cars had large lags and it made more sense than with new cars.
Gah! No, bad! Drifting has been around as long as racing has been. If you look at old touring car and grand prix races they all are drifting with zero countersteer around every corner because with the bad grip their tires had it was faster, and it is faster unless you have racing tires on. In theory it's the fastest way around a corner, but with today's technology that's rarely true. When it's slow is when you countersteer though, and this is what started as a "sport" in japan.
 
Raitziger
This is not entirely true. The whole drifting started when people with turbo cars were competing in tight japanese mountain roads and realised that drifting in turn made you shoot out from some corners faster due that boost was kept up with dirfting. I think those days turbo cars had large lags and it made more sense than with new cars.

Unfortunately I have yet to see a modern drifting event on any circuit resembling this, so yes I do agree the roots are different and in some ways it could have been the faster way around a corner... But not true in any of what's considered drifting today. This is why they have to judge based on "style", angle of attack, speed, etc... I have never seen a drifting competition where the winner is simply the fastest from point A to point B, if so it would just be called racing anyways.
 
Back