My first online experience!

  • Thread starter Thread starter iSidious
  • 5 comments
  • 568 views
Messages
198
England
Cornwall
Messages
GTP_Coupe
I used to love a good few years back going to the arcades in Newquay, Cornwall and challenging my mates to a few races on Daytona USA before a night out on the town.

A couple of months ago I bought my PS3 along with GT5 and thought to myself Excellent! I can have my very own Daytona USA arcade in my living room!!!

I love GT5 but the online aspect of the game has made me think otherwise. I am not the best racer and have bided my time racing online incase I annoy other racers by my inexperience!

The first 2 rooms I tried to join I was kicked even before connecting, which is fine, I guess they only have certain friends that they want to race, but the next few rooms that I managed to join all just wanted to go the oppostite way and try to smash me head on on my way around the track!

If there is a friendly community here who will put up with an online noob for some friendly racing could you add me please and point me in the right direction!

PSN id is iSidious and indicate the request as Online racing.

Many thanks
 
I find that some times people are very annoying on-line. iv been and seen the things you say. I think that you have just had bad luck, and ended up in bad room. if you want some good racing you should add me.
 
I'd advise a few things - take part in forum-organised events, look for specific online lobbies (usually with aids disabled, and are called 'pro clean racing') and add like-minded racers you meet to your PSN friends list.

Don't be intimdiated by 'hardcore' lobbies. Perhaps look for a free-run lobby where you don't need to be quick but can practise. I have met like-minded racers and added them to my friends list - they are out there! As a result, quite often my GT5 firends are taking part in clean racing or running their own lobbies regularly - use the Community tab and the Lounge feature within the GT mode to join them.

Feel free to add me. My PSN is Gadbury
 
Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your poor experience. I think most of us have had some unfortunate experiences in public lobby racing early on, and that's how we wind up here. ;)

The organized races I've participated in that are advertised on this site, have overall been decent experiences.

That said, I occasionally play in pub lobbies, and if you choose carefully you can find nice people looking to play the game normally. But you have to get a feel for what to look for.

I've recently discovered "shuffle racing" ... It's cool for if you don't want to think about bringing your own car, or you have just a limited time to play. People seem a bit more "relaxed" & sane in the shuffle races. Probably because it doesn't attract immature people who are always looking for an angle & concerned about always winning... because that's now how shuffle racing works.

That said, I convinced my bf to give it a try... never having raced online before. He was liking it... and then he got kicked from the race without explanation & still wonders what he did wrong. Fact is, probably nothing.
(I saw him racing, and I didn't see him doing anything rude or I would've told him to not!)

Strangers in public lobby games can be anyone with any number of reasons why they do the things they do. Don't take it personally!

When I wind up as an inherited host of a pub game (because the last host left), I take it as a responsibility to kick people who everyone's complaining about (rude behaviour, deliberate bunting with no apologies, etc), or anyone who's obviously being stupid or deliberately disruptive. But I wouldn't kick anyone just because I don't know them, or some other arbitrary reason. IMO, if someone wants just their friends to join, they ought to hold the race in their private lobby. So that's their problem, not yours.

The time of day you play has a lot to do with it too. Just like in ALL online multiplayer games for years & years... There are certain times of day, & days of the week, where you get a higher number of turkeys & jokers. Every online game I've ever played... all reasonable regular players would remark on how all the clowns come out to play on the weekends, for example. haha. The "after school" time frame is another high yahoo content time period. (Obviously this depends on the time zone you're in, and the time zone of the people you're playing with, but you get the idea.)
 
Back