My first trip to the dragstrip = AAA.

  • Thread starter Thread starter Josh
  • 9 comments
  • 690 views

Josh

Silent Army
Staff Emeritus
Messages
15,564
United States
South Carolina
w00t! Went to the local dragway out in Dorchester. Apparently our Cooper track has been closed, or something. Anyhoo, it's an 1/8 mile track(I would like to do 1/4, but the closest is like 2 hours away). My first time to ever run my car at any dragstrip, and it was my second day on my new Nitto drag radials so I was still getting used to them.

With me driving:
1st run - .753 reaction, 2.176 60ft, 8.313 @ 89.743mph
2nd run - .607 reaction, 2.119 60ft, 8.258 @ 93.527mph
3rd run - .299 reaction, 2.069 60ft, 8.170 @ 89.932mph
4th run - .420 reaction, 2.106 60ft, 8.373 @ 88.702mph

With my buddy Chuck driving:
1st run - .064 reaction, 2.165 60ft, 9.275 @88.865mph
2nd run - ...nobody knows. We were all too embarassed to go ask for the slip. Plus, we're all pretty sure the clock doesn't count that high.

After my 3rd run they started spraying water from the burnout box all the way up to almost the damn staging lights so the douchebag's in the fullblown dragsters could do halftrack burnouts. But for us who didn't want to do 40ft burnouts it just left an ass of water for us to deal with. On my 1st and 2nd run I had some nasty wheelhop coming off the line, and I had to get out of it, and get back on quite a bit to keep from breaking anything. 3rd run it bogged down to 1,000rpms on launch, and I just hammered it with no wheelhop. 4th run it hopped, let out, hopped some more, let out, got back on it spun, let out a tad, got back on it spun some more slammed second, and had the rest of the run clean.

I let Chuck drive my car because everytime he drives someone else's car he pulls better times than them. He's just a good driver. But with tonights crappy track prep, and my IRS wheelhopping problems my car just was too much for him. 1st run he hopped a ton, got out of it, hopped some more, hit second, spun, and then he had a good run the rest of the way. His second run he bogged it, and it stalled. He started it back up, launched it and it had some major wheelhop so he let out, got back on it then we hear a loud snap. He had barely cleared the 60ft mark, but he still had enough speed to coast to the end of the track.:lol:

We're all pretty positive he just snapped one of my rear axle half-shafts. Nothing major, but the car was undriveable so one of my buddies friend's called his AAA service and had 'em tow it from the track to my house. He even gave me a ride so I wouldn't have to ride with the creepy towtruck driver.

Chuck probably apologized to me 50 times in a period of 3 hours. He kept saying how bad he felt, and how sorry he was. I was just like, "It's all good. If it didn't happen to you it most likely would've happened to me sooner or later." Besides, in less than 2 hours after breaking my car, Chuck had already found a replacement axle for me, and someone who will install it for me.

All in all it was a great night, and I can't wait to do it again. I took a few pictures while we were there, and I'll post them as soon as my Dad finds his card reader for the digital memory card.
 
Sounds awesome Josh! 👍 Can't wait to see the pics!

Yeah, I love it when some noob does his burnout in the water, and then gets it all under his car, then drives down the track dripping water all over the place.
 
Is there really any reason to swear Josh (****'s are obviously swearwords in disguise)?

You are a super-moderator so should be setting an example. 👎
 
Sounds like alot of fun.👍

...Is Josh really banned?
 
Nice 60' times, Josh. Was that on DR or street tires?


M
 
Thank you for the detailed information and realistic detail of what happened. 👍 Sorry to hear about the little damage but you should have it fixed with no problems. Your reaction times were good for your first time to run your car at any dragstrip.
What are the mods that you have done to your car? Were you running the 2003 Mustang Cobra? Doesnt sound like the Nitto Drag radials were hooking up at all since you were in the 2.100 range. You probably could have broke into the 1.90 range 60ft times with some Quick time Drag tires or if the idots at the track werent getting everything wet. :lol:
 
Mustang-man
Is there really any reason to swear Josh (****'s are obviously swearwords in disguise)?

You are a super-moderator so should be setting an example. 👎

So I can't even have asterisks in my posts now? Seriously, this is ridiculous. And stay on topic, swearing has not one freakin' thing to do with my thread topic. Oh, and use PM's next time.
 
///M-Spec
Nice 60' times, Josh. Was that on DR or street tires?
M
That was on brand new Nitto drag radials at around 26psi. My first 3 runs the air pressure in them was still at what Gerald's tires had set them at - 32psi!:eek: I should've tried to drop them down to around 18-20psi.


CAMAROBOY69
Thank you for the detailed information and realistic detail of what happened. 👍 Sorry to hear about the little damage but you should have it fixed with no problems. Your reaction times were good for your first time to run your car at any dragstrip.
What are the mods that you have done to your car? Were you running the 2003 Mustang Cobra? Doesnt sound like the Nitto Drag radials were hooking up at all since you were in the 2.100 range. You probably could have broke into the 1.90 range 60ft times with some Quick time Drag tires or if the idots at the track werent getting everything wet. :lol:

My reaction times got better after I figured out what I was doing.:lol: Mods - intake, pulley, exhaust, chip, drag radials. And yes this was in the Cobra. It has a ton left in it, I just need to learn how to launch it at the track without getting all that nasty wheelhop. I think slicks would help.
 
He even gave me a ride so I wouldn't have to ride with the creepy towtruck driver.

I wish I had friends like that... :lol: 8.17 in the eight mile would equal to a mid-12 on the quarter, I believe. Which isn't too shabby for a first timer. 👍

I think slicks would help.

They'd help break more axles, that's for sure. ;) It doesn't sound like you're one of those n00bs who feel it's necessary to hit the limiter at least 4 times before a run, while they're in the pits, pissing everyone off.
 
Josh
So I can't even have asterisks in my posts now? Seriously, this is ridiculous. And stay on topic, swearing has not one freakin' thing to do with my thread topic. Oh, and use PM's next time.
Sorry, i don't think i was in a good mood that day. But there are plenty of other words which can emphasize your post other than swear words.

Anywho it doesn't matter. I'd probably just come here from my forums, where this is no swearing allowed at all.

:indiff:
 
Back