MY GT4 Ferrari Experience!

Touring Mars

ツーリング マルス
Scotland
Glasgow
GTP_Mars
Introduction

Back in January, I turned 30 and my colleagues at work clubbed together to buy me the best birthday present ever... a Ferrari driving experience. I booked my 'experience' for Saturday 10th September and here is my report! (specially amended for GTP :sly: )

Thursday 8th September: Prologue

Having not actually driven a real car in about 6 months, friends, workmates and my insurance company suggest that a bit of practice might be in order. Luckily, my room happens to be equipped with the most advanced driving simulation equipment and software available to the general public... A PS2, a DFP and GT4!! :D I decide that in order to practice for my Ferrari drive, I will take out the Cizeta around the Nurburgring Nordschliefe.

Figure 1. My GT4 set-up. (note: GT4 Limited Edition courtesy of vipersan 👍 )

Friday 9th September: Psyching up

A quick pint after work on Friday was all I was allowed, so Coca-Cola was the order of the day in my local boozer! Whereas you can even drink a can of beer on particularly long straights in GT4, that sort of thing is frowned upon when driving real cars, especially really expensive real cars – that are not yours.

Saturday 10th September: The Big Day

Hangover-less and raring to go, I catch the train to Stratford-upon-Avon and make my way to the Shakespeare Raceway… to race or not to race, that was the question. After a torrential downpour, the rain finally stops just in time for my warm-up laps in the Subaru Impreza, to familiarise myself with the circuit. Then it’s quickly into the Ferrari itself, but not before a quick photo opportunity!

Figure 2: TM pretending to own a Ferrari.​

I’m overjoyed to discover that the clutch is automatic and the gear shift paddles are located behind the steering wheel, exactly like my GT4 set-up! The instructor grins nervously in the passenger seat, and asks me if I have read the safety instructions and signed the disclaimer. At this point I think about saying “No” just for a laugh. I decide not to.

As I tentatively pull out onto the circuit proper, I am aware that there are several other, equally expensive cars on the circuit too. At this point I elect to wait until they are as far away from me as possible. Then I’m away! Too busy concentrating on my braking points, I hardly notice what speed I’m going, but hit the 100 MPH mark down the back straight (according to my instructor!). A few laps in and I’m getting more confident. The Lamborghini Murcielago infront looks like he’s missed the apex, and I prepare to overtake. “Just stay behind him for the moment, brake a bit harder… no, harder than that… bit more…” says the instructor. Spoil sport. And before I know it, it’s back into the paddock, and my days as a Ferrari driver are over!

Epilogue

After a grand day out, and the fulfilment of a life-long ambition, it’s back off to London for a quick pint. I’d like to thank everyone who contributed to my day, especially Dara and CJ who came up with the idea and for booking it, and to Mo for coming with me on the day and for taking the pictures! :)

Edits
Arwin
Great stuff! But tell us more how the car felt!
It was a very wet day, and the track was quite pitted and there was alot of stones as well, so it wasn't the easiest of surfaces to drive on. But it was surprisingly easy to drive. Believe it or not, anyone who has played GT4 with a DFP could drive this thing quite easily! The gearshift paddles are bigger and heavier than the DFP (of course), but otherwise it's very similar, especially having no clutch to use as well.

Had to be careful stepping on the gas too heavily coming out of the corners as it was quite twitchy. But the whole car felt pretty light on it's feet. Of course, the best part was being pushed back into your seat on the back straight as you accelerated up through the gears - that is something that Kazunori will have to work on! ;)

They did have an F355, but I didn't get that one... I'm not exactly sure what the one I'm driving was, F360 Modena?

Touring Mars
They did have an F355, but I didn't get that one... I'm not exactly sure what the one I'm driving was, F360 Modena?
Yes, the 360. 👍

Shame there wasn't a F430 there, that would have been a BLAST! :D

Congrats, man... sounds like a whole lot of giggles. :D

I doubt it would've been much better in an F430... what's another hundred horses in the rain? :lol:

Envy man, ennnnnvy. Lucky dog. :lol:

Yup, the 360 is a very twitchy and difficult car to drive. Even race drivers from "Best MOTORing" found the car tricky (and that's something!). And that was in the dry, let alone the wet you went through.

The F430 is much more friendly.

Nice stuff TM, very cool to drive aren’t they? I friend of mine has a 360 Spider and I’ve whipped it around a track before too… also very twitchy on exits.. ;)

ViXeN
Nice stuff TM, very cool to drive aren’t they? I friend of mine has a 360 Spider and I’ve whipped it around a track before too… also very twitchy on exits.. ;)

Wow...you're friend has a Ferrari? :eek: I have a couple but they are 1:43 scale :indiff:

Yeah, the Spider/Spyder?? lol

The thing I love most about them is the engine sound... They sound like motorbikes!!!

And they're just so fun to drive... His is the manual though, and the gearing took a bit of getting used to (it's the Ferrari grooved gearing)...

Silly really, but I never gave it a thought that you could get an automatic Ferrari... i loved the sound of the car too... and the speed with which you have to shift up through the gears was amazing. I only had one semi-long straight (about 0.5 km) and so you only really got one chance per lap to really open it up... and then it was hard on the brakes for a cone chicane... boo! 👎

Congrats on going bold and red by the way, ViXeN 👍 :)

Yeah, it's not really automatic, but semi auto...

And they do fly up through the gears, although that didn't really impress me as much as the rest... But that could be to do with the fact that I race a turbo charged 13B rotary... :sly:

And thanks, I figured since you guys accept credit cards, i'd make a plan (don't have my own but used a friends.)

P.S. I like the pic on your wall in your GT4 room. ;)

ViXeN's bald?????? :odd:..... Oh bold :lol:.

Congrates on getting the chance to do that TM, I've never driven a Ferrari myself, I've driven a Tuscan and the phrase be careful with the throttle has never had such a strong meaning :lol:. It's something I will pobably do.

ViXeN
P.S. I like the pic on your wall in your GT4 room. ;)
he he, I wondered how long it would take someone to notice that! ;) I've got a bigger version of that calendar too. I had to take it down whilst trying to gold those licenses... too distracting. And that is a home-made Kylie lamp on my desk as well. I found this hollow clear plastic tube and printed out a pic of Kylie and put it inside. It stands on the edge of my desk directly above a lightbulb clamped underneath, so Kylie literally lights up my room... very sad indeed, I know, but I love it! :dopey:

live4speed
Congrates on getting the chance to do that TM, I've never driven a Ferrari myself, I've driven a Tuscan and the phrase be careful with the throttle has never had such a strong meaning :lol:. It's something I will pobably do.
They had a TVR there as well... I would have loved to drive that, but I know (mostly from Topgear) that it's a real handful...

The company I did the drive with have a 'no-spin' rule... you spin it, and that is your drive over... very harsh indeed, hence you have to be pretty careful :ouch:

TM you lucky guy you! I am trying to talk my wife into doing something like that for me...don't know if it wil happen any time soon though *sighs*

hmm.. i wonder if some lucky sob has test driven 205 T16.. there are half a dozen of them for sale in europe, but for salty price.. 40k € was the cheapest i saw. but, 200 bhp, awd, midengine in small car..=FUN!

Touring Mars
The company I did the drive with have a 'no-spin' rule... you spin it, and that is your drive over... very harsh indeed, hence you have to be pretty careful :ouch:
That isn't fair!

You by mistake do too much throttle on one corner (the first!) and spin and you lose everything! :(

ls2_297
he he... I'll take that as a compliment :sly:

TwinTurboJay
TM you lucky guy you! I am trying to talk my wife into doing something like that for me...don't know if it wil happen any time soon though *sighs*
Just do what I did and keep going on and on about it... I had p*ssed off my workmates so much about possibly planning a trip to the Nordschliefe, that they had planned to do that, but it was too difficult logistically, so they went for the Ferrari thing instead! :dopey: One problem with the Nordschliefe idea is that I don't own a car :ouch: I could have walked round... :dunce:

To be honest, the Ferrari thing was a very short experience, and I'm well glad it was a gift because I wouldn't have thought it was worth the price if I were paying it myself... I really enjoyed it, but I can see why alot of people are disappointed with it.

ferraris huh, ive driven a nissan micra/march!

on my driving lessons! :sly:

managed to wheelspin it to 👍

ferrari eh mmm....................................

Touring Mars

Figure 2: TM pretending to own a Ferrari.​
Could have done a cool pose :rolleyes: Won't convince any chicks that you own a Ferrari like that.

Must have been a great day Chris 👍 Ask for a rally experience next year :dopey:

Back