my idea for Fixing DRS

United States
United States
any one catch how no DRS in Abu Dabi didnt help the racing??? i have thought for a while that DRS has to go, i abruptly changed my mind after sundays race... still not a huge fan of drs but understand why (or think i do) its used and why it was picked over a push to pass system that is implemented in the Indy car series.

my idea for 'fixing' drs, as it seems a necessary evil at the speeds and amount of overall downforce these cars have, is having 3 drs zones but only allowing drivers to utilize it twice a lap... i feel that way it might give the car that got passed an extra attempt to get back by... im sure you all have thoughts as well as opinions to my degree of schooling... lets hear em! also your ideas to fix/get rid of/replace drs.... im pretty sure the FIA is listening to us!

Last edited:
is having 3 drs zones but only allowing drivers to utilize it twice a lap... ! i feel that way it might give the car that got passed an extra attempt to get back by.

It depends on whether or not the circuit is suitable for three DRS zones. As it is a car that has been passed in Zone 1 (using Abu Dhabi as an example) already has the opportunity to be within 1.0s at the second detection zone, and therefore already has the ability to use DRS against the car that it has just been passed by.

I don't think mandating three DRS zones per track would improve the spectacle either at tracks where DRS has little effect or at tracks where it has a great effect. As it is we only have to get through 2020 to see what the new Formula brings, I'd hesitate to mandate any artificial assist changes until we've seen how 2021 pans out.

It depends on whether or not the circuit is suitable for three DRS zones. As it is a car that has been passed in Zone 1 (using Abu Dhabi as an example) already has the opportunity to be within 1.0s at the second detection zone, and therefore already has the ability to use DRS against the car that it has just been passed by.

I don't think mandating three DRS zones per track would improve the spectacle either at tracks where DRS has little effect or at tracks where it has a great effect. As it is we only have to get through 2020 to see what the new Formula brings, I'd hesitate to mandate any artificial assist changes until we've seen how 2021 pans out.

yes, my suggesting was lacking much detail. maybe a joker lap then ? haha

maybe the drs isnt the bad thing it is all the downforce dependence... and hopefully the future regs help that out...

Back