*MY* impresions of the BMW virtual drive demo

  • Thread starter Thread starter SaintKamus
  • 22 comments
  • 1,851 views
Messages
617
Just wanted to share my impresions of the virtual drive BMW demo.
Let me start of by saying that the "rumours" of a new physics engine are defenetly true, i was sceptic about some of the impresions of other people because they played the demo with the dual shock and not a steering wheel, but anyway, i feel that the physics engine now truly deserves the "simulation" claim that the GT series have always made, weight simulation seems to be a lot more acurate this time around, same goes for tire simulation, this time around you can actually feel the tires lose grip before your car starts to understeer like there's no tomorrow (hated that, REALLY). now you actually have to make proper use of the analog controls when entering a corner, used to be you just some how got past them by just trying not to make the car understeer heavily, not so this time around.
Braking also seems to have recived a lot of improvement, in previous GT games late braking was VERY forgiving, now, i'm not sure if this time they got it completley right (in GTR late braking ALWAYS results in you going of the track) because sometimes i still manage to control the car even if i brake a tad late, but then again, it's nowhere near as bad as it used to be, in fact i went off the track more than a few times before i learned the first 6 KM of the ring. so again, it FEELS a lot better, i'm not sure if it's correct though.
sounds... there's improvements here to, i specially like the sound of the car at high speed, you can hear the wind hiting the car and it gives a greater perception of speed, tire sound also got an "upgrade", i still think tire sounds suck compared to real life though, wasn't very impressed by those. Car sounds are exactly the same as before it seems. (can't tell by just driving one car, but there doesn't seem to be any new sounds that real cars make that just aren't in there).
Sounds are recorded from the real cars but something is missing, you have to check out the sounds on GTR to understand me, here's a link to about 9 different videos of different cars in GTR, pay close attention to the sounds, they got it RIGHT:
http://forum.rscnet.org/showthread.php?t=173827
i've also been playing richard burn's rally latley, and i think they beat GT4 in the sound department too by quite a bit, i specially like how the tires sound in Richard Burn's rally (even when going on a straight, hell you can even hear a "whoosh" the car makes just by going fast, very nice).
lots of room for improvement here, i really don't think they've made significant changes since the GT series exists when it comes to engine sounds, just incremental upgrades, but they don't sound nearly as exiting as the real thing, and just so you can compare the sounds in GTR to a real race car, check out the videos here:
http://cars.ign.com/articles/547/547428p1.html?fromint=1
the car sounds VERY alike to the cars in GTR, very impresive.
graphicly i can confirm there's more resolution, it looks sharper when compared to GT4p, very impresive for such an old console (specialy considering the quality of the graphics!)

overall, i'm very pleased with the new physics engine, it might not be enough for the truly hard core simmers, but damn, it's VERY close this time around, it's a lot easier to lose control in this engine than in previous ones, and very realisticly too. I just wish i could turn of things like traction control on the demo to get a deeper feel of that.
All i can say is that for the first time, GT4 has a physics engine that can do justice to it's slogan. if i can think of anything else to add i'll add it as i make new findings (or just remmember :P).
after playing this, i'm DEFENETLY more anxious to get my hands on the final code.
i just hope we get bombarded with new info at the TGS, i want to know more about multiplayer, and i want to know the full track list (i want suzuka damn it!).

**UPDATE** Just remembered i didn't mention force feedback, it's ok.. but there's a problem with it, if you turn the DFP to it's limit and then accelerate the wheel won't return to the center position as fast as it should (when compared to a real car), this is not a huge deal, but it's a pain having to use your hands for that when in reality just steping on the accelerator brings the wheel back very fast.
and since this demo is supposedly built with the final engine i don't think they'll adress this. (i hope i'm wrong.)

--Kamus.
 
Interesting review, SaintKamus, perhaps this has been said before, but I bet that the better driver you are in R.L., the better you understand how simulated physics work ¡n racing games, And this is specially true with GT4, that has a lot of street cars to make comparisons.
 
...but where u got that BMW-demo???
..i want it too!!!
....can u say me perhaps where i can find it??
 
Nice review, thanks! But since the game is coming out in November I think I´ll wait for it.
 
Yeah that a really good write up.... 👍 ...I wish that I could have this demo...does anyone know if its out in the uk??......anyway, Ive found the next best thing! It may not be a 1 series.......but atleast you can thrash around in an beemer, an x3! Gran Turismo eat your heart out! :lol:

click here to go for a x3 drive!.......

http://146.145.203.221/
 
As I said in other thread, I hope this week there will be an announcement regarding GT4 release in Europe... but maybe slips until next week (TGS).
 
last time i drove a rear wheel drive car its almost the oppossite of a fwd car when pressing the gas during a turn.
 
Umm where can I get this BMW demo disk??? I'm in the US. I really really really want it. I'd be willing to buy it from someone. Please tell me!!
 
speedy_2
Umm where can I get this BMW demo disk??? I'm in the US. I really really really want it. I'd be willing to buy it from someone. Please tell me!!

The BMW 1 series virtual drive demo is PAL format only at this stage. Hence, unless you can play euro discs, there is little point trying to get the demo…
 
Samberto
The BMW 1 series virtual drive demo is PAL format only at this stage. Hence, unless you can play euro discs, there is little point trying to get the demo…

I have a slide card. It will work with that right??? I want this demo!!!
 
speedy_2
I have a slide card. It will work with that right??? I want this demo!!!

Yes, chances are that it will work. Search ebay if you’re desperate, although it is worth remembering that the prices for the disc will plummet following the 1 series launch later this month. Best of luck to you…
 
Samberto
Yes, chances are that it will work. Search ebay if you’re desperate, although it is worth remembering that the prices for the disc will plummet following the 1 series launch later this month. Best of luck to you…

Yeah, I saw only one on Ebay. It's already at $52.00 (US) :scared:
 
omg. longggggggg review.
i'm sorry, but i'm too lazy to read it :)
i'll read it if i have nothing to do..
 
cobragt
When does tgs start?
It starts next Friday,The 24-26th. I hope we are all really hyped by the info and not really dissapointed. Meaning PD are going to anounce a heap of info (car and track list) or god forbid another delay. :nervous: :O :nervous: :O
 
Holy $hit!!! I've never seen any vids of GTR...now I understand the hype. Too bad I don't have a decent PC to take advantage of all that GTR has to offer :guilty: I understand what you mean about the sounds. It's OK though...I'll be satisfied what the finished product even if it isn't as perfect as GTR 👍
 
Doesn't the BMW demo has Capri and NewYork tracks ? If it does , how do they look compared to GT4P tracks ? Can you zoom in Capri while in replay , and how does the close textures look ?
 
Back