My impressions of GT5P

  • Thread starter Thread starter danowat
  • 29 comments
  • 1,837 views
Messages
237
Messages
Danowat32
Messages
Danowat32
Firstly, I will preface this, I am a HUGE sim racing fan, I have owned EVERY GT since I paid £70 for the original Japanese import, I am not a fanboy of ANY system, and enjoy racing sims on every platform there is. :)

Well, my PS3 came yesterday, and I have now spent a good amount of hours on GT5P, enough to make a decent enough impression of it.

Firstly, it's not as "good" as Forza 2 or LFS, there is more to it than that, but in a nutshell, thats it.

I won't go too much into content, simply because it's a (albeit full priced) demo, instead I will concentrate on 3 key areas, graphics, sound and physics.

I have yet to venture online, but so far my experiance with the PSN has been EXTREMELY poor, compared to XBL, it's really, really bad, XBL is one of those things that it is polished and so slick, that it just works (most of the time) out of the box, PSN isn't it's a real struggle to get working, and it's flakey, even more so than XBL (which isn't perfect).

Ok then, GT5P, graphics, wooooo, well, outstanding, the graphics are flipping amazing, especially in 1080i, it truely is photo realistic, we may have reached the pinnicle in race sim graphics here, it truely does look that good, although I have noticed some odd shadow texture problems, sometimes they "cycle" and sometimes they look quite jagged, but overall it's a gorgous looking piece of software.
The in-car cockpits are utterly amazing, best cockpits I have ever seen in a racing sim, a huge increase in immersion, the only thing I wish I could figure out is how to alter the HUD on the screen, other than that, top notch.

Sound, truthfully, it's a mixed bag, that tyre squeal is pretty poor, but the engines are "ok", the music is traditionally strange in GT games, all wierd jazz and cymbals, very odd, anyway, anyone with an interest in racing turns the music off straight away anyway

Lastly, physics, hmmm.........to be fair, not that bad, but they ain't great, lessons obviously haven't (or didn't want to) be learnt from earlier versions of GT, the cars have no feeling of "weight", the suspension doesn't seem to move at all, leading to the cars feeling like they are "skittering" around the road, bit like a skateboard.
FWD physics are pants, power on understeer seems to be canned (if power is greater than x then understeer, if power is less than x no understeer) it works like a switch, RWD physics are better, but there is just no impression of weight, or weight transfer, something Forza 2 does VERY well.

Yes, I had all aids off and physics on professional, but I am using a pad.

Overall, it's a nice game, looks amazing, sound is ok, and physics (bearly) passable, but it's no sim, and certainly no Forza beater.

But the graphics.............oh mumma..........
 
How about we compare GTP to where Forza2 was 1 year before release?
 
Indeed, it's not overly fair, however.........

1) FM2 never had a full priced demo released.

2) I wouldn't expect the physics to change prior to the full GT5 release.
 
Indeed, it's not overly fair, however.........

1) FM2 never had a full priced demo released.

2) I wouldn't expect the physics to change prior to the full GT5 release.

Fully priced? 25.5e including shipping from play.com and additional free patch coming in fall(community features and likely vehicle damage, perhaps new cars and tracks too). I don't feel ripped of for paying 40e for the japanese version in December(including shipping) as it now got updated for free to spec2 and another update in fall...

When giving critic it would be best to actually say what was wrong and in what settings rather than say it's worse. PSN has worked quite ok. for me, it's the propriertary PD servers from which the patches come that causes problems. After the patches have been downloaded the online experience has been smooth from working point of view as it has just worked most of the time. Even the gran turismo tv works fine, it took less than 15 minutes to download both parts of the topgear episode.

As for the physics model it would be good to point out what settings was used and how the physics were not up to the task and which lessons were not learnt(standard/pro physics, driving aids, pad/wheel). It's possible to configure prologue to be both very unrealistic and realistic ;) With pad, it's always arcade... And some cars might be more near reality than others. There definately is feeling of weight in the cars when driven in pro mode and a wheel... As for skidding it entirely depends on the tires chosen for the car(and chosen physic model).

For now it seems like you drove with pad and using the standard physics... Or if you drove in pro physics+wheel then you most likely had aids on like traction control which makes the game feel like an ass.
 
Fair enough on the PSN, but I had the same problem with the 2.30 firmware and had to resort to downloading it on my PC and using a USB stick.

As for the physics, well, GT has always for me been a "pretend" simulator, the pyhsics trying to emulate a simulation, rather than being a simulation.

The way power on oversteer is represented is one way it does it, but the key thing missing is suspension movement and weight transfer, there just doesnt (and hasnt) seem to be any.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike GT5p, but it could be so much more with a bit of work.

I am using a pad, I do have a G25, but it's in my computer room and I have nowhere to site it where my Ps3/Large TV is, ALL aids are off, and the physics are on proffesional.
 
It sounds more like a problem with your PS3 connection than an actual PSN problem, I have never had a single problem with the PSN downloads and that includes (if my memory serves) five system updates, GTHD and GT5P Demo. If you have WLAN the reason may be right there.

About the physics, if you seriously say there's no suspension movement or weight transfer I have no idea about how you drive. The cars sway under the G forces very noticably and weight transfer can definitely be used to balance the car in corners. Playing with a pad may make it less noticable but it doesn't mean it isn't there. You say there has never been any suspension movement? Rubbish. Even GT4 did a good job at simulating suspension movement, and the weight transfer for that matter, especially in American cars.

I won't say anything about you considering Forza 2 to be as realistic as LFS but I'm quite sure someone will.
 
You mean visual simulating suspension movement? or translating that movement to the player?

GT cars have always felt, and do in this version, solid, they "skitter" on the road and just feel odd.

As for Forza 2 being as realistic as LFS, I never said it was, as far as I am concerned, LFS is the pinnicle of racing simulation physics, it has yet to be equalled, let alone surpassed, Forza 2 does a VERY good job of feeding back weight transfer, suspension movement and tyre grip/slip angles to the player, something that I believe GT fails, and has always, failed at.

Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to fire up GT5p and be blown away by the physics, as much as the graphics and cockpits have done, they have truely raised the bar there, but the physics are left wanting again....
 
^ This guy knows what he is talking about. And he's not a fanboy. 👍

I like GT5P very much. But i have to agree that in the physics department, it is still not as good as Forza 2, let alone LFS.

As for the weight transfer and suspension movement, it is there, visually. But it doesn't let you feel it the same way when driving.

I usually describe it like... They improved physics in GT5P, and they feel realistic now (more or less). But apart from that, it feels like the cars are driving on bricks somehow. Dunno how to put it better than that. :scared:

I use a G25, and all i can suggest is to play it that way, and not with a pad.
 
You mean visual simulating suspension movement? or translating that movement to the player?

GT cars have always felt, and do in this version, solid, they "skitter" on the road and just feel odd.

Try with the wheel, the pad just isn't any good for realism... And remember to set all aids off and physics to pro model.
 
London track the chicane after first corner with gt-r 07. That's one of the easiest places to find out how well gt5p does weight shifting in the car. It's very challenging corner to drive perfectly due to unbalanced car with improper driving line/speed/acceleration/breaking. Loads of fun. Also experimenting in realtime with gt-r 07's power distribution between rear/front tires gives some idea how well gt5p physics simulate front/rear/awd driven cars. ABS off also adds all new fun to breaking making it a challenge to actually approach corners perfectly.
 
Cheers fella, I'll give it a go when I get further into the game, so far I have been limited to FWD cars, which certainly do not feel like they do IRL, RWD cars feel better
 
The thing you have to understand is that the Gran Turismo series is a major system seller to Sony. They must pander more to the mass market idea than the hardcore race fan.

I'm hoping that the full release game will have a more realistic Professional mode and that is possible. The latest patch 2.10 does alter the handing in standard mode. If they can do that then they can make Professional mode more realistic as well.
 
it's a (albeit full priced) demo

£17.99 (US$35) delivered.

Compare to COD4 (£40/US$78), Assassin's Creed (£40/US$78), GTAIV (£40/US$78) and GT5 (£45/US$87 projected).


I have yet to venture online, but so far my experiance with the PSN has been EXTREMELY poor, compared to XBL, it's really, really bad, XBL is one of those things that it is polished and so slick, that it just works (most of the time) out of the box, PSN isn't it's a real struggle to get working, and it's flakey, even more so than XBL (which isn't perfect).

I've never had an issue with PSN* - and of course it's one full-price game a year cheaper than XBL... XBL should be good for the premium you pay.

*Other users' experiences may vary.


Graphics, sound, physics

I agree with the graphics, partially agree with the sound (needs more cowbell bass) and disagree about the physics.

They've blended the slightly too oversteery GT3 and the slighty too understeery GT4 and got it nearly, oh-so nearly right. I'd like a nice Mk1 MX-5 so I can say just how nearly right it is, but as far as I can tell, with professional physics and a G25, it's a couple of clicks of oversteer up from just about there. It beats Forza 2 into a cocked hat - and all from a half-price demo which receives free content/code/physics patches...
 
It beats Forza 2? Forza2 does feel (much) better already with a joypad (compared to GT5P with a G25). :scared:
 
It beats Forza 2? Forza2 does feel (much) better already with a joypad (compared to GT5P with a G25). :scared:

And that makes it a more faithful simulation?
 
The physics still suffer viscous limited slip differentials. The car always tends to straighten itself up while you set it up for a slide and start to exit a corner. Overall though, the physics are greatly improved over GT4, and I think GT5P feels second best to anything else out there compared to LFS driving feeling. GTR series or rFactor fall far, far behind in the FFB department.

If only PD would record their car sounds in dyno like Forza 2 sounds are recorded, this would sound a million times more beefier. In my honest opinion, a twin turbo 350Z in Forza 2 has the most glorious car soundtrack I have heard in any car game. Engine load simulation is also needed to know what kind of stress the engine is doing.

Physics still ain't LFS or Forza 2 level, sadly. Applying downforce seems to make things even worse. Take a look at the car landing in the Eiger Nordwand starting straight jump. If that doesn't tell you something ain't right, you're delusional.
 
And that makes it a more faithful simulation?

I dunno if that makes it more "faithful". :indiff:

If you mean better immersion, then no. GT5P feels great with in-car view and a G25.

What i tried to say is that Forza 2 simulates car physics a lot better (and that you could even feel that with a joypad already). With an in-car view and a G25 in Forza 2, i wouldn't even bother with GT5P probably. But that's never going to happen (we can still hope for Forza 3 to implement that stuff), so i'll stick to GT5P.
 
If only PD would record their car sounds in dyno like Forza 2 sounds are recorded, this would sound a million times more beefier. In my honest opinion, a twin turbo 350Z in Forza 2 has the most glorious car soundtrack I have heard in any car game. Engine load simulation is also needed to know what kind of stress the engine is doing.

Physics still ain't LFS or Forza 2 level, sadly. Applying downforce seems to make things even worse. Take a look at the car landing in the Eiger Nordwand starting straight jump. If that doesn't tell you something ain't right, you're delusional.

I await the day I get the F40 in GT5p, it sounds GLORIOUS in Forza 2.

I know dedicated PS3 fans won't like the comparisons with Forza 2, but they are relevant.

I am lucky to be in a position where I have both, and a PC, so I can see the good, and bad, without being too blinkered.

As I have said, I do like GT5p, it looks amazing, but it does have failings.
 
... GTR series or rFactor fall far, far behind in the FFB department.

Then you haven't tried RealFeel for rFactor, that is based on real output from the physics engine. Slightly off topic. But I agree, the rFactor and GTR standard (canned) FFB is worse than GT5P.
 
I don't agree.

It was a dangerous thing to say Forza 2 has better physics... on a GT Forum. LOL! :scared:

I have both systems, and i don't need to have a biased opinon, since i can play both, whenever i want to. It's really just my honest opinion... and everybody is entitled to their own. If you like the physics of GT5 better, i have no problem with that. :)
 
It beats Forza 2? Forza2 does feel (much) better already with a joypad (compared to GT5P with a G25). :scared:

But there you say it, with a joypad...

It's almost impossible to transfer the feelings like carweighttransfer or rumble strips to a joypad! But once you played it with a wheel, my god, the weight is there, the loss of traction is there, the bumps and rumble strips are there...
 
Then you haven't tried RealFeel for rFactor, that is based on real output from the physics engine. Slightly off topic. But I agree, the rFactor and GTR standard (canned) FFB is worse than GT5P.
Actually I have tried realfeel, along with the only semi-real feeling car for rFactor (Niels' C6 Corvette). While it was much better than having canned effects, one car having semi-good FFB and handling won't make much difference in the end. :)
 
But there you say it, with a joypad...

It's almost impossible to transfer the feelings like carweighttransfer or rumble strips to a joypad! But once you played it with a wheel, my god, the weight is there, the loss of traction is there, the bumps and rumble strips are there...

I was trying to say that...

If Forza 2 already feels better in the physics department with a joypad, compared to GT5P with a wheel (G25, can't get any better than that at the moment), then it would probably feel A LOT better with a wheel.

Thing is... after years of using a DFP, and now having a G25, i simply won't buy the MS-Wheel. I know already i would be greatly disappointed. :indiff:
 
Unbiased PC/PS3/360 gamer here too.

The simple thing is, FM2 hardly has any proper FFB for the useless wheels that 360 supports. Sure, you feel rumble strips and going on the grass, but the actual feeling of the car itself does not exist. It also doesn't help that the game insists on having the self-correcting steering enabled even with a wheel. That causes the steering to feel totally disconnected to the front wheels.

I dunno how it is on the Microsoft wheel, but I actually prefer playing FM2 on a pad rather than on my Logitech 360 wheel. This is the area where GT5P excels FM2 by a great amount.
 
It was a dangerous thing to say Forza 2 has better physics... on a GT Forum. LOL! :scared:

Heh, probably. But that doesn't mean that we're all tilted in that direction in here. For instance you aren't...

It's really just my honest opinion... and everybody is entitled to their own. If you like the physics of GT5P better, i have no problem with that. :)

And vice versa.
 
I think this game have really good physic. Since cars can do lap times more closer to real life then other games, especially FORZA 1 and 2 where gameplay is more arcade and times are way off. Did you use a wheel for it?
But I respect your review. Happy gaming.
 
In all honesty, forza 2 is only good with the wheel on race cars where the steering inputs are kept to a minimum. Being that it doesn't support 900º rotation, it doesn't translate well to road cars, hence the insane amount of oversteer you induce when coming out of corners. I have played it enough where I have adapted to it, but for people (like my friend) who don't, they hate it. Now if it supported G25 and 900º, could have been a different story.

GTs steering feel on the other hand (to me) is amazing, and the fact now that you can set the steering angle for race cars is even better. I have yet to really play GT5P, i have the game, I have the G25, but no PS3, go fig, however, i used the G25 on GT4 and I freaking fell in love with GT4 all over again. As soon as I pick up my PS3 today, I will finally get to experience GT5P first hand. And from what I have been reading from most of the trusted sources here on GTP, I already know my socks will be blown off.
 
Unbiased sim fan here. I thoroughly enjoyed GT5:P’s greatly improved physics while using the controller, but it REALLY blew me away once I hooked up my wheel. In my opinion this is how I’d rank my favorite driving simulators in terms of physics:

LFS
GT5:P
rFactor
Forza 2

In my opinion GT5:P is by far the most realistic console simulator, and has Forza 2 beat in every aspect but sound. I’d say Forza 2 is more enjoyable with a controller than GT5:P is with a controller, but I really only play it with a controller because there isn’t a decent wheel for 360!
 
Back