My impressions

• Thread starter dave57
  • 6 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
(sorry if not allowed/duplicate)
My impressions, got the game yesterday:

First GT game I've bought since 5.
Insert the disk begins "installing" - is taking multiple hours to complete. What it was actually doing is downloading the latest version of the game - 97hours total on my crappy internet.
Someone on reddit suggested disable the wifi and restart. Now the game installs in about 40 mins.
Next up 18GB update - ~6hrs download on my internet. Leave it running all day.
Start the game - 10 minute intro video - unskippable.
Next spinning GT7 logo for few minutes - then maintenance warning.
Main menu starts to load - spinning GT7 logo bottom right - multiple minutes waiting.
Main menu, because there it can't connect it just points to "World Circuits", that's it.
Oh and each subsequent startup of the game delivers the unskippable intro movie.

Why is all of the single player content require an internet connection, and then not actually function when it can't connect to it's own crappy infrastructure. PD have become the most complacent Sony studio. And this unfortunately sets the bar for forthcoming "GaaS". Hooray the future.

Who in their right mind looked at this and decided it was appropriate?
Horrible, horrible first impression. I've not actually played a race yet.

1647531959001.png

;)

@dave57

Sorry, can't do anything about your crappy internet but after the first time, you can skip the intro movie by pressing "O" IIRC. ....or why not just disable it? The toggle is in the options menu on the upper left hand of the screen. ....the GT icon.

As for he connectivity issues, there is a problem right now (could be fixed by now) where they had to do some additional maintenance after the latest scheduled interruption for an update apparently.

@dave57

Sorry, can't do anything about your crappy internet but after the first time, you can skip the intro movie by pressing "O" IIRC. ....or why not just disable it? The toggle is in the options menu on the upper left hand of the screen. ....the GT icon.

As for he connectivity issues, there is a problem right now (could be fixed by now) where they had to do some additional maintenance after the latest scheduled interruption for an update apparently.

I know my internet is not ideal so I expect an update to take a while @ 2MB download speed.
But I was surprised that it tries to download the latest version rather than install from the disk - I actually thought it was installing from the disk albeit incredibly slowly. It's obvious I'd settle for the 40min disk install and 18GB update rather than the 100GB download.
The movie won't skip. I think because it can't connect, a flag doesn't get set and thinks you started the game from fresh each time - believe me, I tried all sorts of combos.
I know about the maintenance - can't be helped, but I think they dropped the balled with the always online requirement. When it's offline due to maintenance, there is barely any content and the menus are incredibly slow.

Anyway hope to have some gameplay impressions soon.

@dave57

....2MB per second (mbps)? Holy mackerel that's got to be hair-pulling slow. By comparison, add a couple of zeros to that and that's what I'm getting.

Yeah, the always-online requirement is not a popular choice but it is the way a lot of games are going these days. It's not a big deal for someone like me but I get that there are scenarios where people are simply not able to get decent service. Hopefully the servers will be back up soon and you can get to playing.

Back