My Killer R33 Suspension Setup!!

• Thread starter boooger78
  • 24 comments
The Skyline R33 is one of my favorite cars in GT1 and 2. So, I bought a used one for the memories. I started playing around with the suspension settings and I think I found the ultimate setup.

This setup will work with an R33 '95 and '96. I haven't tried it on an R34. The car should be maxed out on power and weight reduction (745bhp I think). I recommend using hard racing tires for races w/ tire wear and soft or super soft for races without tire wear. The transmission setting should be set at 11 or 12. I use 11 then tweak the final gear ratio a bit for top speed, but no too much. This should give you maximum acceleration out of turns.

It is best on all road and race courses except the oval courses. It is also good on Nuburgring, but you'd have to set the tranny for top speed a bit. For road courses, top speed is sacrificed because of the gearing (11). If gearing was higher then acceleration out of the turns will suffer, I'm sure some of you know this already. So I use 11 for the tranny on all regular road corses.

With this setup, your R33 will "hug" the road, literally! It will open up a new dimension of playing, for me at least. IMO I think it handles similar, if not, better than some of the race cars in the Japan All Stars Championship. By the way I won the JASC w/ my R33. I did not have to tweak the transmission setting at all.

How to approach turns w/ my setup: Upon a turn or chicane, BRAKE!!!-bring the car down to about 75-85mph then turn. Try to hit the apex of the corner. Point the front of the car in the direction you want it to go and accelerate. Experiment on different track to find the proper racing line. This setup makes racing in Suzuka, Fuji, and Motega very enjoyable!

Okay if you've made it this far in my post, here is My Killer R33 Suspension Setup:

(All Settings Listed are the ONLY SETTINGs that should be adjusted)

Suspension:
Front Rear
SR 7.4 9.4
RH 105mm 101mm
SB 4 2
SR 8 7
CAM 3.0 2.0
TOE -1 1
STAB 4 4

Transmission:
Auto 11 Final 3.124

Limited Slip Diff:
Front Rear
LImited Slip 10 20
Int Torq. (ACC) 35 55
Int Torq. (DEC) 10 15

Weight Balance:
Balast Weitght 5
Front/Rear Bal. 3

Downforce:
Max both front and rear

ASM(Oversteer) 9
ASM(Understeer) 9
TCS 6

Thats it. Try it out and let me know what you guys think?

hey, i tried it out on my r34 m-spec nur and it's pretty good!

handling is great and is quite nice to drive about, but the car feels 'jittery' slightly and maybe the brakes need a little work, but good work.

magneticman
hey, i tried it out on my r34 m-spec nur and it's pretty good!

handling is great and is quite nice to drive about, but the car feels 'jittery' slightly and maybe the brakes need a little work, but good work.

thanks for the reply, i'm loving the setup. i don't know how it would be for the r34 but from the way you described it, it sounds pretty good.

does it feel jittery at high speeds, during braking, or during turns?

wow! That is one sweet setup :D I can really understnad that you manage to win the Japanese champ. The only thing I noticed was a tad of understeering in high speeds but I set the ride height to 102 (front) and 103 (back) and I thought it was a little bit better like that. But it's like day and night to drive it with your setup compared to the orginal :D Good work!

I just made a setup based from this but a little softer suspension all-around. It seems to have understeer when coasting through the turns, but as soon as you get on the gas it grips. Tried playing around a bit but i cant solve it....

Annoying problem too

I'm going to give em a whirl but did you mess with the Brake Balance or the VCD controler?

Alright I've been running the R badge race with it and I really like the way it handles. The brakes need some work though, the Motegi circut was terriable afterlap 5 when the tires started their wear, never the less I lapped the entire feild.

I tweaked it a tad, and got some very good times. This is only with 525 horsepower though.

Thanks for the basis to go off of boooger

Suspension front/rear

Spring Rate 8.2/7.8
Ride Height 102/100
Shock Bound 5/3
Rebound 6/5
Camber 2.0/1.0
Toe -1/1
Stabilizer 4/4

This allowed to keep just a little more speed in the corners 👍

absentempathy
I tweaked it a tad, and got some very good times. This is only with 525 horsepower though.

Thanks for the basis to go off of boooger

Suspension front/rear

Spring Rate 8.2/7.8
Ride Height 102/100
Shock Bound 5/3
Rebound 6/5
Camber 2.0/1.0
Toe -1/1
Stabilizer 4/4

This allowed to keep just a little more speed in the corners 👍

hey no problem guys. i'm glad i could make the game more enjoyable.

BlazinXtreme
Alright I've been running the R badge race with it and I really like the way it handles. The brakes need some work though, the Motegi circut was terriable afterlap 5 when the tires started their wear, never the less I lapped the entire feild.

what tires are you running? i upgraded the brakes but didn't buy the controller. if you have the brake controller play around and see what you can do.

thanks for the extra info guys, this thread should be stickied lol

...and yes, skylines absolutely rule

*omg my R34 handles like a dream now, thanks to both of you.

nice work on the setup guys........i even tried on my Amuse Carbon R and it seems 2 work great even though it is FR instead of 4WD. great work guys

lol why did you add 5lbs of ballast

and
icon13.gif
to the ASM

Greyout
lol why did you add 5lbs of ballast

and
icon13.gif
to the ASM

asm was turned down so i could whip the end a bit more. i think adjusting the balast gave it more weight toward the back end. i'm not sure but it seemed to improve weight shift.

I think what Greyout meant was that you might want to consider ditching the ASM altogether - generally speaking very good advice it has to be said as the ASM can have a devastating negative impact on lap times.

All it does is slow your car down for you, without your permssion and probably against your wishes, and make the handling 'mushy' (technical term for "Applies Braking to Compensate for Yaw induced by Poor Speed or Line Selection by Driver (in the eyes of the CPU that is :D)").

oh btw, my R34 was previously 550bhp, as i thought anything higher might kill the handling - WRONG

i bought the stage 5 kit and now it's 850-oddbhp (m-spec Nur - other r34 have a lower final bhp) and still handles like a dream!!!

try it

May I offer some brake settings?

Racing brakes, of course, with 5 front and 2 rear. Not skitish and it stops well without locking the fronts. Thats with Sports rubber on. Take it up a point each end for racing rubber

boooger78
(All Settings Listed are the ONLY SETTINGs that should be adjusted)

Suspension:
Front Rear
SR 7.4 9.4
RH 105mm 101mm
SB 4 2
SR 8 7
CAM 3.0 2.0
TOE -1 1
STAB 4 4

Transmission:
Auto 11 Final 3.124

Limited Slip Diff:
Front Rear
LImited Slip 10 20
Int Torq. (ACC) 35 55
Int Torq. (DEC) 10 15

Weight Balance:
Balast Weitght 5
Front/Rear Bal. 3

Downforce:
Max both front and rear

ASM(Oversteer) 9
ASM(Understeer) 9
TCS 6

Thats it. Try it out and let me know what you guys think?

Latest Posts

Back