My Logitech DFP Modification

  • Thread starter Thread starter electroclash
  • 15 comments
  • 2,476 views
Messages
5
I managed to put an Alfa Romeo Valentino steering wheel on my DFP.

I went to one of those car yards with my little bro where you bring your own tools in and take whatever you like. We originally went for parts for his Beamer. I saw this wheel and automatically recognised how it has the same 'bowl' shape as the ones people use in drift machines. Since I'm such a wannabe tryhard I just had to buy it for my car. But my car has a completely different steering wheel attachment so I wasn't able to use it. I didn't want to waste it so I came up with this idea to put it to use and found it very educational.

I'm not one of those handyman type people and this was very spontaneous. Luckily for me Logitech made it easier. I was expecting to snip wires and solder them back when I was done but there are conveniently placed sockets for the wires I would have had to cut on the inside.

Here it is.
DSC01511.jpg


Closer look at the genius behind it :D
DSC01507.jpg


Behind the wheel, very simple. A piece of ply wood and some nuts and bolts.
DSC01514.jpg


That's the original Logitech wheel in the middle. As you can see the difference in size is quite large.
DSC01509.jpg


Gameplay is better IMO. It feels much more realistic and there is less resistance since the wheel is larger. It acts just like a car with power steering and this is with force feedback on strong. Drifting is better as smaller movements are easier to do. A downside is that it feels like I'm driving a truck lol but I think that's because I'm not completely used to it yet.
 
You have one HUGE minus point on that: You don't have the buttons on the wheel so it must be kinda BS to navigate the menus.
 
skyline_racer1
Are you trying to say that you use the wheel for racing and the DS2 for navigating in between races ?...

It's doable I guess, not very convinient though...
 
Flerbizky
Are you trying to say that you use the wheel for racing and the DS2 for navigating in between races ?...

It's doable I guess, not very convinient though...


:rolleyes:

I do it. I usually spend a lot of time in the menus adjusting settings and other stuff. My wheel is at arms length though (elbows not quite locked, but close), and my arms get tired and sore pushing the wheel buttons in this position. So the DS2 is very convenient for me, plus I need the DS2 anyway if I'm taking photos.


Great job on that wheel modification BTW. 👍 :D I like seeing the work of creative minds.
 
It may not be appealing to you guys, but IMO this is a fairly good effort at producing a road-car steering wheel for GT4. It's not pretty, and shifting is now more difficult, but he thought outside the box and got what he wanted. This is good for a first effort, I expect we'll see more custom wheels in the future. :sly:

The next step is to figure out how to extend out the shift stick unit and replace the stick with a real one, to make shifting easier with the larger wheel. 💡 I'm sure someone could do it.
 
Grand Prix
It may not be appealing to you guys, but IMO this is a fairly good effort at producing a road-car steering wheel for GT4. It's not pretty, and shifting is now more difficult, but he thought outside the box and got what he wanted. This is good for a first effort, I expect we'll see more custom wheels in the future. :sly:

The next step is to figure out how to extend out the shift stick unit and replace the stick with a real one, to make shifting easier with the larger wheel. 💡 I'm sure someone could do it.


There are existing mods that you can add to the DFP like 6 speed shifters and handbrakes.

I read it here somewhere.
 
......hmm.....gimme a sec to think......WTF were u thinkin man...good god,im here practically beggin for, for a racin wheel and ur there having a chop cut rebuild and its pretty cool 👍 kudos my MAN, NICE WORK i have an old PS1 racin weel im going to try it mmmuuuhahahahah 💡
 
And it's not evan a cheapo wheel do you know how much a wheel like the dfp cost it is the best wheel out on the market.
 
300zxfairman
And it's not evan a cheapo wheel do you know how much a wheel like the dfp cost it is the best wheel out on the market.

Well, he did say he wanted a wheel much like a street one for drifting. The DFP is the only wheel out there with 900 degrees rotation like a street car, so I guess that's why he modified the DFP instead of another one. 900 degrees + real wheel = Real Steering Simulator. :sly:
 
ugly, round off the ply wood and you have a very nice wheel. shifting is a pain though haha. but i like it 👍
 
Thanks for the feedback everyone. Mixed thoughts was exactly what I wanted 👍

1. The buttons, yeah, hmm. Since the wheel is 'bowl' shaped I guess I could cut a hole in the wooden part, feed the wires for the original through the middle and sticky tape the original to the center :D I usually use my controller anyway when I'm navigating through menus and stuff. Guess it's kinda automatic now after all that time in photomode.

2. It is heavier but it doesn't weigh a ton. I was worried about the wheel base connection being too weak and breaking from sudden movements and stuff. But it seems pretty stong and I lift it around by the wheel only, that would give you a good idea of the strength. Force feedback is weaker due to the physics side of things (The bigger the lever, the smaller the energy blah, blah, blah...) but it doesn't sound like it's struggling. The internal parts aren't shabby so it should be able to hold out.....I hope.

3. Shifting is no problem. Probably easier if anything. Instead of moving your arm diagonally 6 inches, you only have to move it forward 4 inches. That could potentially shave 00.003 seconds off my lap times! The resistance on the stick is really weak so you can pretty much just use your finger tips if you wanted to. Having big hands helps aswell.

4. Why I did it? Like I said, it was very spontaneous. I didn't want to waste the steering wheel (I paid $16 for that!!) and was disappointed. I joked about it to my brother when we were at the car yard but it turned out to be a pretty cool idea. I am still yet to see anyone else do this. I have pulled many things apart, fiddled with them and watched them go again. So I am a little farmiliar with electronics and stuff, a little... I've actually fixed my nephews PSone (multiple times) in the most simplest of ways, rubberbands!

If anyone else is going to do similar, I suggest you get farmiliar with the insides of the wheel base. Maybe even go all the way and draw a diagram or something so that when you put it back together, it will actually work again. Keep in mind that you may lose any warrantly on the product after you have opened it. I took a risk and luckily for me all went well.
 
Back