My Mazda RX-8 doesn't like hills

• Thread starter Darkmine
  • 22 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have an RX-8 with stage 1 turbo, supercharger, full racing gearbox, stage 1 weight reduction, full sports exhaust, full brake kit, triple clutch, lightweight flywheel, and carbon prop shaft. It currently has around 440 bhp.

Acceleration is average on the flat, and when I hit a hill , the car just loses power and eventually stops.

I'm not the worlds greatest tuner, but I never had problems in the previous GT games.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ?

Darkmine
I have an RX-8 with stage 1 turbo, supercharger, full racing gearbox, stage 1 weight reduction, full sports exhaust, full brake kit, triple clutch, lightweight flywheel, and carbon prop shaft. It currently has around 440 bhp.

Acceleration is average on the flat, and when I hit a hill , the car just loses power and eventually stops.

I'm not the worlds greatest tuner, but I never had problems in the previous GT games.

Any suggestions as to what I am doing wrong ?
Umm. Check to see what you got installed either turbo/SC/nothing

What did you do to your gear settings? That's all I can think of. But downshift if you need power. Or quit holding the brake down, whatever you're doing.

I've only played with it for an hour so far (wife constraints). In the tune shop, I bought both the turbo stage 1 and the supercharger. Are you suggesting that only one can be fitted at any one time (I haven't checked what racing in the FR category may have changed) ?

Also, your gear settings must be off ... As a simple fix, increase the final drive ratio ...

This happens if you gas and brake at the same time... There is no left foot braking in this game... Pulling the E-Brake even on a FWD car will get the car to stop spinning the wheels...

Yeah you can't have a supercharge equipped with turbo....and you might wanna try a Stage 2 weight reduction, but i think you need to adjust your gear ratios...try setting them lower (auto set to 8-10) b/c you need more power in the lower RPM-ranges i'm guessing....and a supercharger isn't good for that I think.

squidney2k1
Yeah you can't have a supercharge equipped with turbo....and you might wanna try a Stage 2 weight reduction, but i think you need to adjust your gear ratios...try setting them lower (auto set to 8-10) b/c you need more power in the lower RPM-ranges i'm guessing....and a supercharger isn't good for that I think.

Seriously, sometimes, you should research a bit before suggesting, or even read the original post...

If a supercharger is not good for lower RPM ranges then what is it good for?

Seroiusly, this looks like something to do with the input device... Gas and brakes at the same time, there is no track on GT4 where it'll halt a car unless it was the Model T... The only way you can stop a car whlie on gas is with the brakes on at the same time or the ebrakes...

Even on 6th gear your car will roll... It won't pick up speed for a good whlie, but it'll move...

squidney2k1

Actually Superchargers accel in the low RPM range as they are connected directly to the crankshaft of the car. Their boost is instant. Super chargers so far in GT4 seem to make a ton of torque and torque is almost always a lower RPM thing. Torque is the actual amount of force you have to move the car. Horse power is how fast the torque can do it's job of suckin' your eyeballs back in your head.

The rotary cars have turbine upgrades, not turbo upgrades. So you have a turbine and supercharger upgrade!

Have you checked your settings before the race to look at the power curve?

Getting a bit annoyed that people think they know stuff without actually checking it out, give the guy a break.

-Rob

KAuss
You got both a turbo and a supercharger on the 8? WTH?

i think he means he bought both
but uses one or the other. By the way the rx-r is only a 1.3L engine but it revs high with short gears and that's why it can qualify as a sports car :)

Ive got a setting for an RX8 that has less power than 440 and it is very nimble. I think there is so much confusion because the original post isnt very specific.

1) Turbo or supercharger, which one?
2) What are the final gear figures for your gearbox?
3) Have you done anything else to the gear settings?
4) What hill exactly? Is it one in particular or any hill? Name one please?
5) Have you got fat thumbs (DS2) or wide feet (DFP)?

:)

zefff
Ive got a setting for an RX8 that has less power than 440 and it is very nimble. I think there is so much confusion because the original post isnt very specific.

1) Turbo or supercharger, which one?
2) What are the final gear figures for your gearbox?
3) Have you done anything else to the gear settings?
4) What hill exactly? Is it one in particular or any hill? Name one please?
5) Have you got fat thumbs (DS2) or wide feet (DFP)?

:)

...check the date of the last post by the thread starter. He hasn't been on since April either. You're not likely to get a reply from him.

squidney2k1
I dont want to sound like im flming but, learn someing usefull
Have you looked at a dyno read-out from a supercharger?
Really,have you?
Look hears the deal:
turbo=hive-rev power
supercharger=low end tourque
There are a bunch of other threds on this supercharger thing
and btw what track are you on that has this"hill"?

First off, it make no real difference if he has one or the other equipped.
Are you only having trouble with the RX-8? or do you have the same problem with other cars as well?
Try another controller and see if you continue to have problems.
Do a search in the GT3 forums for the "tranny-trick". Do it and set your final drive ratio to about 4.11 to start. After that you can adjust your final drive ratio based on the track. Lower numerically for higher top speed, Higher numerically for better acceleration. (3.55 to 4.56 should be a good "rule of thumb" range)
If none of those work. Have another of your GT4 savvy friends over to try his copy of the game in your machine, and to try your settings.

If it's a "button" problem. Go into options and reset your controller to "default" or some other combination than the one you're currently using.
Good luck.

i think he means he bought both
but uses one or the other. By the way the rx-r is only a 1.3L engine but it revs high with short gears and that's why it can qualify as a sports car :)

yes with the 1.3L engine makes the car really light and increases speed. But for the guy who asked just buy everything for the car? everything thats necessary atleast.

post your exact settings of your car. All the way down to sour suspension settings and gearbox settings. My best guess is your gears are set too high. If this is in fact the problem try resetting your gearbox. Ideally, you want a car that accelerates fast but doesn't spin the tires excessively.

HolyThreadRevivalBatman.jpg

Please.. Look at the last post date before posting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back