My Mini Cooper S in-depth review and tuning guide

• Thread starter Brangeta
  • 7 comments
your pretty much spot on. that is an awesome review.
what kinda ride would you reccomend to win that tourney? my main interest in terms of hot hatches are a '98 BMW M Coupe and an HPA Performance Golf GTI VR6. is a Ruf a hot hatch, i got my CTR Yellowbird dialed IN!
anywho, thanks in advance

👍 Jonerz 👍

The fact that you're using the ASM to balance the handling means the car would get dusted by any tune that uses the suspension to do the same thing.

Oh, I can't wait for online play in GT5, etc., when these kinds of "tunes" show up in online races! ;)

Jonerz
your pretty much spot on. that is an awesome review.
what kinda ride would you reccomend to win that tourney? my main interest in terms of hot hatches are a '98 BMW M Coupe and an HPA Performance Golf GTI VR6. is a Ruf a hot hatch, i got my CTR Yellowbird dialed IN!
anywho, thanks in advance

👍 Jonerz 👍
what are you settings in your yellow bird i couldnt get mine done

I'd probably suggest that '80s Renault ugly box thing that kept beating me for that event. It was a rocket compared to the Mini.

Maturin- I don't know what you are talking about. If you think you can man-handle a car better without ASM or TCS because you have "mad skillz" ... "go you" I guess. The fact is, there isn't a suspension setting that will completely eliminate understeer. There isn't a suspension setting that will slow down the inner wheels to reduce understeer. You can only do trial and error selecting settings that are between "makes me countersteer" and "throws me in the grass". It may be more impressive (to you at least) if you are manually shifting, peeling out everywhere, and counter steering, but any kid with their tranny set on auto, ASM on, and TCS on is going to be able to roar past you with an identical car with ease.

Brangeta
but any kid with their tranny set on auto, ASM on, and TCS on is going to be able to roar past you with an identical car with ease.

I was looking forward to reading this, but didn't bother after I read this

edit: well, fine, I did, and no wonder you are complaining about understeer. Those suspension settings do nothing to get rid of it.

- stiffen up the rear

- lower the front, keep the back up (about 15mm difference)

- increase the "acceleration" slider of the LSD

- BUY THE CLUTCH AND FLY WHEEL

- toe out in the rear

- add 30-40lbs of ballast to the rear

- increase front camber

Brangeta
Maturin- I don't know what you are talking about. If you think you can man-handle a car better without ASM or TCS because you have "mad skillz" ... "go you" I guess. The fact is, there isn't a suspension setting that will completely eliminate understeer. There isn't a suspension setting that will slow down the inner wheels to reduce understeer. You can only do trial and error selecting settings that are between "makes me countersteer" and "throws me in the grass". It may be more impressive (to you at least) if you are manually shifting, peeling out everywhere, and counter steering, but any kid with their tranny set on auto, ASM on, and TCS on is going to be able to roar past you with an identical car with ease.
In all honesty, this is simply not true. The driver aids are meant to keep the car stable - which is largely why you found the car an understeering barge with no pickup. You're right... no settings will completely eliminate understeer in a FWD car. But you can minimize it and with proper throttle control you won't have the brakes kicking in all the time every time the car starts to rotate.

Take a look at some of the databases of world's fastest laps. You may find a few guys that use a small amount of traction control for very high-powered cars, but nobody fast uses the stability controls at all.

Back