My personal guide to creating GTS liveries.

• Thread starter MIE1992
  • 1 comments
United States
Connecticut
Ridley-X4
Let's begin with sponsors that are relevant to the driver itself. Use the stickers that reflect the type of helmet and suit you've equipped. Of course, there is only one helmet company in-game, Arai, but I recall that GT6 had others, such as Shoei and Simpson. As for suits, your choices are Alpinestars and Puma, as you likely recall.

When picking stickers for oil, fuel, or tire sponsors, don't. You are not using their items. You are using GT Sport's equivalents; in lieu of Pirelli P-Zero tires, there are Racing Softs, for example. There is no need to use them outside of recreating real-world liveries, or at your own discretion otherwise.

For other sponsors relevant to the car itself, take a good look at the default livery to get some ideas. Sometimes, even if all stickers are removed (as they are when creating a new livery), you can clearly see some parts that have labels on them, some of which will be on the interior. Examples include OMP on the Huracan Gr.4's tow hooks, or the Sabelt logo on the F1500T-A's seatbelts. Additional examples include the X-Bow R's uses of Recaro and Brembo signage, and the AP Brakes seen on the Lexus RC-F Gr.2 and Jaguar XJR-9. This note can apply to the sort of wheels you ultimately apply to the car, too.

Misc. sponsors can extent to Gran Turismo, PD, but also the FIA, Sony, Playstation (including the "PS4" and PS4 Pro" typefaces) and Sony Interactive Entertainment - the last of which being previously known as Sony Computer Entertainment. I'd also potentially even recommend using labels related to the hardware you're using, especially stuff like your TV/monitor, audio equipment, and your controller, whether it's a DS4 or a wheel. (Especially since I did recall there being at least one official wheel for GTS.)

As for the "main" sponsor, I would advise one of two things: either a national racing color, or a brand where have very strong sentimentality towards. For example, your first job, or your longest-lasting employer. For that first one, the racing colors, I usually experiment a little. An example being the American colors, where it typically can be white with two dark blue stripes, or the inverse, (Examples being the Shelby Cobra, or the Shelby GT350, for road car iterations) but I may have one singular broader stripe down the middle, or even a smaller stripe that's off-center. The stripes on the side don't seem to be aesthetically necessary in my experience, but having a white decal that's not a sponsor sticker does seem to make things look a little better, breaking up all the blue when looking at my car from a side view. I'd also encourage using the decals that fade a bit at the end, when they feel appropriate.

I had more advice for creating liveries based on national racing colors, too. Feel free to have fun using that nation's flag, as well, especially if it fits well on a car's rear wing, or perhaps on any other particular part - such as the grill, if it can have decals. You don't necessarily need to use Ferrari's Rosso Corsa for Italy, either - just the standard bright red should do. Similarly, the standard color options should be fine for that darker blue, as well as the more vivid Bleu de France, the latter of which is very similar to the blue seen on the Alpine models. Otherwise, neither will need the more complex options of the color picker, i.e. hue/saturation/volume, though British Racing Green may need more experimentation. You could try using the real paint of the same name, originating from the Jaguar F-Type, or you could use the Corvette C7 Stingray's Lime Rock Green, which I felt was a bit closer to how I've perceived BRG. Overall, the real-world has had some fun & experimentation with re-interpreting the historic racing colors, so don't worry too much about precisely matching your livery with the Wikipedia page's thumbnails. Just look at the historic Honda F1 cars from the '60s for an example of that re-interpretation.

You could also consider the car's origin - not simply the manufacturer, but its key designers and people. One design I made was an Italy-themed livery for the Veyron Gr.4; although Bugatti as an automaker was founded in France, Ettore and his family moved to France from Italy when he was young. (I mean, as a surname, Bugatti certainly sounds more Italian than French, no?) Or how a Japanese employee of Pininfarina, Ken Okuyama, was responsible for many remarkable designs at Ferrari, such as the Enzo.

As for other items, I'd usually recommend taking off the tire labels, and wheels can be pretty liberal, but take note of what sort of wheels were already there, especially if they were center-locks. Don't feel bad about leaving the stock wheels in place, either, if you feel they look better than the other options. (Side-note: did you know the Skyline GT-R R32 comes with BBS wheels? You can see the label...) Note that the Gr.2 cars use center-lock wheels from Japanese brands, Gr.3 & Gr.B cars use center-lock wheels of various brands, and Gr.4 cars typically use five-lug wheels, though some come with center-locks like the Huracan. As for other cars, I'd advise to examine the sort of wheel it has already, then go from there. So for example, the Vulcan comes with center-lock wheels, but there are no other center-lock wheels that can be applied, so I stick with the stock wheels. As for the number sticker, I usually pick Style 2, and I do this specific part first so that I can make the rest of the livery around it, lest the design be partially blocked in Sport Mode, or lobbies where number stickers are on. The number itself doesn't matter - go nuts, maybe use the last two digits of your birthyear like I do, idk. As for the light covers, I do personally enjoy the appearance of using yellow lamps if the rest of the car is either red, blue, black, silver, or white. And for displaying the driver name, I usually don't put it on, but I sometimes will temporarily turn it on when making the livery so that it's not blocked. Although I end up taking the name off before I'm done, it feels like a good idea to try working around it anyway. Finally, for the windshield banner, I like to pick between the black or white ones offered, often picking the one that most contrasts with the rest of the car's color so that it sticks out a bit more. So a car with mostly darker colors would use the white banner, for example.

With all this said, I'm not intending this to be me trying to tell you what to do, like an order. Rather, I feel like this approach both takes a load off my mind, can be fun, and often leads to an aesthetically-pleasing & relatively original design. Feel free to check out my profile for examples, and to offer feedback, especially constructive criticism so that I can take notes.

Last edited:
I, like yourself, have certain conventions i always follow when creating my own liveries. One that was slightly touched on here, but which i go further with, is the racing number on the side/front; I always apply the stock number board that will be applied in races, then place a square decal behind it and shrink it until the point it just dissapears behind the one the game applies. I then remove the stock one, and create my own with whichever number font and series sponsor fits with the overall design. That way, when it is visible i have a race number that fits with the overall design of the car (and doesnt leave a massive blank spot in a car that is otherwise fully sponsored), but when entered in a race where the game applies its own race numbers, the design isnt ruined by having it blocking parts of logos.

Back