My PP is too small to measure (no, really...)

England
England
bengolding94
I've been messing around with tuning lately and was curious to see just how low a PP value could be attained in GT7. While experimenting, I found a couple of peculiar things; firstly, it's possible to drag a car's Performance Points down so low that the game displays a warning triangle in place of its PP value. This seems to happen when the value would be less than zero. Secondly, should you try to enter such a car in a PP-restricted race, you will be told off for exceeding the Performance Point limit. Personally I think we should Christen this minor glitch "Schrödinger's PP".

PP_Bug.jpg

Hopefully it's all summed up above, but for anyone willing to indulge me, this is how I stumbled across this strange case. As above, I was curious to find the smallest PP in GT7 (teehee). The Fiat 500 F '68 seemed the obvious starting point, with a lowly 81.18PP unmodified.

The first step was as you'd expect; I took the cute little Fiat to the tuning shop and treated her to some ballast, a power restrictor, and a fully customisable computer, suspension, transmission and LSD (in the end, I didn't use the last two). After adjusting the ECU and power restrictor to 70% and putting 200kg of ballast in the rear (I believe they call this placing the engine under load), the mighty 500 was down to just 15.38PP, with a GP2 engine boasting eight, count them, EIGHT Italian stallions.

This was a nice start, but there was more potential to be unlocked. Enabling the fully-customisable suspension pushed it up to 25.89PP initially, but a few questionable tweaks would soon fix that. A mild Carolina Squat dropped it down to 24.71PP, and removing the anti from the anti-roll bars took us down to 19.97PP.

Next up: natural frequency. Minimising it had a huge impact, getting us down to 10.41PP, and equalising the front with the rear's minimum of 1.25Hz reduced it further to single digits, at just 9.66PP. With these two quick changes halving the car's PP, I decided to start fiddling more systematically and found out immediately that knocking them both up by just 0.01Hz caused another ridiculous drop down to just 1.05PP. This surprised me; why would such a small change practically divide a car's PP by 10? This tweak dropped the car's 40mph rotational G score from 0.76 to 0.74, so it seems the PP calculation is particularly sensitive to this variable, possibly because 62-93mph performance, high speed stability and 75/150mph rotational G are all zero, giving this 40mph rotational G value a greater proportion of influence over the PP score.

Anyway, I continued making systematic changes to the natural frequency and damping settings until something happened: my car's 40mph rotational G dropped to 0.73 and, more importantly, its PP value was replaced with a warning triangle. It seems logical that this is the way the game handles PP values less than zero, but here's the catch: if you try and enter a PP-limited event, your car is not permitted to enter.

Naturally there was only one thing for it: to minimise PP without going below zero. After a fair amount of tinkering I finally found a tune rated at 0.01PP, shown below. Perhaps 0.00PP is possible, but I'm yet to find it if so. Knocking the front natural frequency up by 0.01Hz will lead to a PP warning triangle, if anyone wants to replicate it.

0.01_PP_Setup.jpg

A part of me was hoping that a car with such a small PP value could be useful in cash-grinding custom races somehow (e.g. if the pay calculation included some multiplier like {your car's PP}/{average opponent PP}), but unfortunately it doesn't look like it. Anyway, thanks for reading!

The kart also does this. I've been on the fence about making videos testing what cars can achieve this, but there is no practical use making cars this way. Maybe there are 20 cars that can do this and it would make for a fun custom race.
Oh really? That's interesting - I haven't purchased the kart yet but definitely will now! Thanks for the info; I'm tempted to find other examples too. If there are enough it'd definitely make for a fun race as you say.

The kart also does this. I've been on the fence about making videos testing what cars can achieve this, but there is no practical use making cars this way. Maybe there are 20 cars that can do this and it would make for a fun custom race.
The kart can do this too? Might have to mess with it then.

Ah, who needs go karts when you have single digit horsepower engines!

Edit: at least now I can race a RWD car on racing tyres, thanks for the tune!

Last edited:
Ive seen the triangle with exclamation point when i run a weird combo of tires at the race menu screen.. It may just be a glitch or something who knows, if you run say rain tires on rear and race tiŕes on the front the triangle pops up ..

I just tried this with my newly bought 500F and got to 0.01PP as per your setup. I'm just wondering who's mad enough to wear its oil and engine to see just how little power this thing can achieve.

Also of note is that, initially, a wide body seems to negatively affect the PP as well, though wide bodying it after applying your setup gives it a massive increase. Might be something worth playing around with.

This is the slowest car <pause> in the world :sly:

Still, those specs are pretty sprightly if you compare it to the Benz Patent Wagen or Daimler Carriage from GT4. If PD ever adds those cars to the game, they might have to rework the PP system :lol:

The 2J is also capable of making a warning triangle, as shown here:

I do wonder why it make the triangle in the first place. maybe because of a really long floating point? (i.e 1.3747848535674 pp)

I've been messing around with tuning lately and was curious to see just how low a PP value could be attained in GT7. While experimenting, I found a couple of peculiar things; firstly, it's possible to drag a car's Performance Points down so low that the game displays a warning triangle in place of its PP value. This seems to happen when the value would be less than zero. Secondly, should you try to enter such a car in a PP-restricted race, you will be told off for exceeding the Performance Point limit. Personally I think we should Christen this minor glitch "Schrödinger's PP".

View attachment 1129551

Hopefully it's all summed up above, but for anyone willing to indulge me, this is how I stumbled across this strange case. As above, I was curious to find the smallest PP in GT7 (teehee). The Fiat 500 F '68 seemed the obvious starting point, with a lowly 81.18PP unmodified.

The first step was as you'd expect; I took the cute little Fiat to the tuning shop and treated her to some ballast, a power restrictor, and a fully customisable computer, suspension, transmission and LSD (in the end, I didn't use the last two). After adjusting the ECU and power restrictor to 70% and putting 200kg of ballast in the rear (I believe they call this placing the engine under load), the mighty 500 was down to just 15.38PP, with a GP2 engine boasting eight, count them, EIGHT Italian stallions.

This was a nice start, but there was more potential to be unlocked. Enabling the fully-customisable suspension pushed it up to 25.89PP initially, but a few questionable tweaks would soon fix that. A mild Carolina Squat dropped it down to 24.71PP, and removing the anti from the anti-roll bars took us down to 19.97PP.

Next up: natural frequency. Minimising it had a huge impact, getting us down to 10.41PP, and equalising the front with the rear's minimum of 1.25Hz reduced it further to single digits, at just 9.66PP. With these two quick changes halving the car's PP, I decided to start fiddling more systematically and found out immediately that knocking them both up by just 0.01Hz caused another ridiculous drop down to just 1.05PP. This surprised me; why would such a small change practically divide a car's PP by 10? This tweak dropped the car's 40mph rotational G score from 0.76 to 0.74, so it seems the PP calculation is particularly sensitive to this variable, possibly because 62-93mph performance, high speed stability and 75/150mph rotational G are all zero, giving this 40mph rotational G value a greater proportion of influence over the PP score.

Anyway, I continued making systematic changes to the natural frequency and damping settings until something happened: my car's 40mph rotational G dropped to 0.73 and, more importantly, its PP value was replaced with a warning triangle. It seems logical that this is the way the game handles PP values less than zero, but here's the catch: if you try and enter a PP-limited event, your car is not permitted to enter.

Naturally there was only one thing for it: to minimise PP without going below zero. After a fair amount of tinkering I finally found a tune rated at 0.01PP, shown below. Perhaps 0.00PP is possible, but I'm yet to find it if so. Knocking the front natural frequency up by 0.01Hz will lead to a PP warning triangle, if anyone wants to replicate it.

View attachment 1129552

A part of me was hoping that a car with such a small PP value could be useful in cash-grinding custom races somehow (e.g. if the pay calculation included some multiplier like {your car's PP}/{average opponent PP}), but unfortunately it doesn't look like it. Anyway, thanks for reading!
Nice reading.

Back