My project bike - '84 TS50X

Bought in April 2007 for when I turned 16 in June, I broke it in May 2008 after 49 weeks and 10,000 miles =[
April 2007
TS50X1.jpg

TS50X2.jpg

May 2008 after she died 200 yards from home =[
Photo-0115.jpg

Photo-0116.jpg

Photo-0118.jpg

Photo-0125.jpg

Photo-0126.jpg

Photo-0119.jpg

Photo-0120.jpg

Photo-0121.jpg

January 2009
Photo-0193.jpg

Photo-0194.jpg

Cleaning the head
Before (just after starting)
Photo-0195.jpg

After 2 hours of cleaning
Photo-0196.jpg

I wish you luck Evo, really wasn't looking to smart after it went looks like you have your work cut out for you.

I know I wouldn't give up if my bike went.

I've got a few of those at home, you can easily put a gearbox of the newer, watercooled, tsx/rg in there, it has six gears (but they're hard to find if you don't live near germany). if the suzuki has ever run with 70cc, you have to check your clutch housing, they tend to wear out if you drive it like you stole it. Dunno how regulations are in england (and if you intend to tune), but the stock cilinder is incredibly slow, no matter what you do, it stays that way, 55-60 km/u is the max. by the way the pitting in the cilinder head is probably caused by a broken pistonspring (I'm from holland, don't know the correct english word for zuigerveer, sorry)
One thing, great buy, this tsx handles way better than the, more common, mtx of mt5. The engine is pretty much bullet proof (considering it's a two stroke). Have driven these for years and really liked them, though the brakes are total crap.

Last edited:
Nothing to contribute, really, I just find it odd that an engine pictured the way this one is has been described as bulletproof.

Good luck with the rebuild!!!

Nothing to contribute, really, I just find it odd that an engine pictured the way this one is has been described as bulletproof.

Good luck with the rebuild!!!

Indeed, I thought 10,000 miles was very low for it to go as well, even if it is old. My old FRENCH PEUGEOT Speedfight 2 lasted longer then that and they are terribly unreliable after a while.

Just to clear a few things up, I put 10,000 extra miles on it, it collapsed the generator side main bearing and the big end bearing was wrecked, its a roller type, and some of the rollers actually spun round, one turning 90 degrees to normal, pics soon. The oil seals all round were rock solid, probably making the engine wear out faster. A friend of mine knows the last two owners , it has been a 50cc engine since atleast 1993, possibly all its life. new rod, big end bearings, piston and rings in 1994, clocks replaced with brand new units (old ones were dead, although they showed over 20,000) it was last taxed in 1999, before being put in the back of a shed, where it got wet, causing the original tank to rust out =[ hopefully after this is finished ill be able to tell the difference between the old engine and the new engine =] its getting a new alloy barrel with a 16mm inlet port, reed block is being tweaked and i derestricted the exhaust with an angle grinder, a drill and a welder :D

These engines are quite bulletproof since most parts are also used in 80cc engines, so it's kind of hard to completely wreck it by simply driving. If you change the bearings and the piston + rings when needed, you can easily drive 100000+ kms with these engines (not that you want to cause it'll take ages, but you can...). really don't know what a barrel is, but since you do have a reed block i'm assuming it's the cilinder, the 50cc with reed block isn't to bad, way better than the stock cilinder in the netherlands, here the 50cc doesn't even have a reed block...

Yes, the barrel is the cylinder :) mine just wore its self out as it got older, it wasn't perfect when I bought it lol I'm still waiting on the rod kit and some bearings, but they are due today or tomorrow

I have the engine back =] new bearings, oil selas, rod, piston (etc), sprockets and chain and lastly they put the crank and gearbox back in for me =]

I hope bike parts were as cheap as car parts were when an ex told me. I think even with bikes over here, it's cheaper to buy a whole new bike than fix anything.

stupid question; if there's a tax on them, would the rate change for insurance, and so on, if you had to have put a new motor in it with a different displacement?

as far as i know if you change the displacement of the engine (and you do it legally, inform dvla etc) then the insurance goes up, but if you swap out for the same size engine it won't affect it, however a lot of the bikes at college are running big bore kits or larger engines, but they don't say anything, i saw one that had a 70cc big bore kit with a 1mm over size piston, they had then stamped 49cc into the side so on appearance it was legal XD

UPDATE:

How the big end bearing SHOULD look
Photo-0111.jpg

How badly damaged it was
Photo-0110.jpg

This thrust washer is actually siezed on
Photo-0112.jpg

This is what I got done at college yesterday =]
Before
Photo-0114.jpg

After
Photo-0198.jpg

The other side, most of the way through
Photo-0115_1.jpg

I had managed to fit the bearing holding plates, the idler gear, and the kick start mechanism at this point

How I left it last night
Photo-0200.jpg

LOL will do, I've been busy with college etc, so haven't given much thought to this tbh =/ anyways, I've made some prgress

Carb on =] 17mm, not a 12mm outlet :d
Photo-0209.jpg

Oil pump in
Photo-0214.jpg

Made a new oil pump cover (right)
Photo-0210.jpg

Found the Hammerite Smooth!
Photo-0212.jpg

Photo-0211.jpg

Photo-0213.jpg

more progress =]

the rear wheel before i properly cleaned it
Photo-0235.jpg

nice and clean... well one side anyway
Photo-0236.jpg

cleaning the other side
Photo-0237.jpg

freshly lacquered handlebars fitted with controls
Photo-0238.jpg

hi it took me time to find a forum withsome one whos as tuned a ts50x i brought one n put a 70 bigbore kit on it and chain n sprokit kit is there any outher things i can do like change the jet in the carb if so wt size would i need as i can just about hit 65 lol thanks

Hi. It took me time to find a forum, with some one who has as tuned a ts50x. I bought one and put a 70 bigbore kit on it, and a chain & sprocket kit. Are there any other things I can do? Like change the jet in the carb? If so what size would I need as I can just about hit 65. LOL, thanks.
Translated to abide by the GTPlanet.net Acceptable Use Policy. L33t speak is not allowed here at GTPlanet. Please make a better attempt at using the english language, than you have in your first post.

Well I now need to fix my DT125 SM to now, after I crashed today in the wet... Minor damage to the bike and a few scrapes and bruises to myself. My only worry is that my forks might be bent other then that it runs fine, there's an indicator not working and a footpeg is bent a bit.

Back