My PS2 is broken! I need help!

• Thread starter Concept
  • 14 comments

Concept

(Banned)
Alright here is the deal...I have a PS2. I was watching Pearl Harbor last night on DVD on my PS2 when it froze. I thought maybe the disc is scratched or my PS2 is getting hot. Then I thought it couldnt be the heat since my PS2 has a fan built in. So I just put in a BRAND NEW game I bought and it would not read it. Or any other game I own. Now, the warrenty on it is up and I dont know what to do. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO AND HELP ME!

Thank you ahead of time.

1. Buy a lense cleaner
2. Open the PS2 and clean it by hand
3. Take it to a local electronics shop
4. Buy a new one

But whatever you do, DO NOT SEND IT TO SONY!!! Trust me, it ain't worth it...

Sometimes, games wont get read and they will make crazy scratchy noises. It seems to only do it on Compact Discs and rentals. Dont know, its a mystery. :mad:

At leastl my games still work good.

Originally posted by ViperConcept
Alright here is the deal...I have a PS2. I was watching Pearl Harbor last night on DVD on my PS2 when it froze. I thought maybe the disc is scratched or my PS2 is getting hot. Then I thought it couldnt be the heat since my PS2 has a fan built in. So I just put in a BRAND NEW game I bought and it would not read it. Or any other game I own. Now, the warrenty on it is up and I dont know what to do. PLEASE GIVE ME SOME INFO AND HELP ME!

Thank you ahead of time.
Hey man i think you might have the same problem that PunkRock had with his. If all you get is that Red Screen (the read disk error or what ever it says) then all it might be is that the lense might have gone out of alignment. Its very easy to repair. Just take it too a good DVD repair shop and tell them that you think the lense might have gone out of alignment. They should be able to fix you right up. They might charge you like $30 to $40 bucks but hey. Its better then sending it in to sony and having them have it for a good 2 weeks for alot higher price.

yep... that's what i had as a problem.

you can go get it fixed at an electronics shop, or you can do it yourself...

but if you do it yourself, you'll need to do it again once in a while... i'd suggest getting it fixed by a pro...

open it up, remove the cd cover plate (be careful, there's a magnet) and blow on the lense, or wipe it with a cloth... don't stare at it, though!

it worked for me... if it doesn't work, i strongly suggest getting it checked by a pro. It's very common, apparently.

Thank you all who responded. I was starting to get upset. Instead of taking to shops and such which is a good idea and all...would just buying a lense cleaner for it work? I have spent over $1000 towards this PS2 and am glad to hear MAYBE nothing is seriously wrong with it. Write back PLEASE. :)

Thank you all who responded. I was starting to get upset. Instead of taking to shops and such which is a good idea and all...would just buying a lense cleaner for it work? I have spent over $1000 towards this PS2 and am glad to hear MAYBE nothing is seriously wrong with it. Write back PLEASE. :)
If all your getting is that red screen everytime you put anykind of disk in just go ahead and take it somewhere to get fixed. A lense cleaner wont fix it.

Originally posted by Tazz575
BUY A NEW ONE!!!

Yeah Tazz...how about you just send me $300 and Ill go get one. You know my address. :)

I really dont think my folks feel like coughing up $300 on ANOTHER system. :(

Originally posted by NocturnalPS
If all your getting is that red screen everytime you put anykind of disk in just go ahead and take it somewhere to get fixed. A lense cleaner wont fix it.

Uh...I do not get a red screen. I pop in my disc and it just says "Disc Read Error" if I go into the browser. If I dont go into the Browser it just keeps letting those balls spin.

HERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD

I tried putting in a PSone game and it worked. :eek: I then tried putting in a CD...IT WORKED! I then put in a PS2 game and it did not work. I then tried a DVD. IT DIDNT WORK! The thing is all my PS2 games are on DVD roms and they wont work. Maybe my PS2 just has a DVD rom problem. Any suggestions at all again? Or shall I finally quit with asking for help and take to a repairman? :(

Uh...I do not get a red screen. I pop in my disc and it just says "Disc Read Error" if I go into the browser. If I dont go into the Browser it just keeps letting those balls spin.

HERE IS SOMETHING WEIRD

I tried putting in a PSone game and it worked. :eek: I then tried putting in a CD...IT WORKED! I then put in a PS2 game and it did not work. I then tried a DVD. IT DIDNT WORK! The thing is all my PS2 games are on DVD roms and they wont work. Maybe my PS2 just has a DVD rom problem. Any suggestions at all again? Or shall I finally quit with asking for help and take to a repairman? :(
Oh well if you can still play your old PSone games and a regular music DC, its just your lens thats dirty. Get a DVD lens cleaner and a can of spray. Thats all you need. Once you get the spray just open up the drive and spray the air in side it and down at where the vents are. Next use your dvd lens cleaner disk and that too should fix it all up.

Lenses read different media types in different positions. It's very common for CD's and CD-Roms to work just fine, and not DVD-Roms, as the calibrations of the lense has to be that much more accurate.

Clean your lense with a cleaner, if that doesn't fix it, then get your lense alligned.

:cheers:

Back