My ps3 just YLOD and GTP is stuck in the drive

• Thread starter Shimist
  • 11 comments
WTF not only is my ps3 now a brick, it has GTP stuck in its drive!!!!!:grumpy::grumpy:
Just some advice, people with a launch 60gig, make sure you keep backup's of your game save files on a flash pen or some thing. Because i don't want to pay £150 for a fixed 60gig from sony (that will just die again). I will have to pay for a new one. You can't put a drive from another ps3 in to a new one to copy the data, each drive only works in it own ps3!!

If you live in the UK sign up for continious play 4.99 a month and when this happens they will replace with a refurb or give you a brand new 80gig if you would prefer that, they will even give u a copy of the game that was stuck in,

seems to be a problem with many 60gig getting more common by the day!

They were sending out refurbs for free out of warrenty but due to so many letting go they have had to stop this kind gesture

Do you mean that your GT5P disc is stuck in the drive? I had YLOD before with a disc in it, but there is a trick to get it out, let me see if I can find it.

EDIT: sorry, can't find the link that shows the trick :( but I used it and I got my disc out before senting the dead ps3 to get a new one.

Last edited:
You can send it in for repair then resell it for a good amount. People tend to pay a good bit extra for the 60gb due to them being backwards compatible.

I know how to fix it, but you have to take it apart to get the disc.

Question one: is it under warranty?

Question two: how comfortable are you with taking screws out and remembering where they go.

If you think you are up for the challenge, then taking apart your blu ray drive is in order.

Regardless of warranty seal intact or not Sony should repair the system for you. If you decide to take it apart. Because when you send the system to Sony they don't care about your disc.

WTF not only is my ps3 now a brick, it has GTP stuck in its drive!!!!!:grumpy::grumpy:
Just some advice, people with a launch 60gig, make sure you keep backup's of your game save files on a flash pen or some thing. Because i don't want to pay £150 for a fixed 60gig from sony (that will just die again). I will have to pay for a new one. You can't put a drive from another ps3 in to a new one to copy the data, each drive only works in it own ps3!!

If you have a 2.5 sata USB reader you can get your game data. As long as you know where to copy it from.

The blu ray is transferable to some systems other than the 60 gig. Let me get you the data you need.

I would advise not to use the paper clip idea. You could damage the drive and game.

Last edited:
Same happened with mine during the Socom beta,got a replacement 60gb within 24 hours of the phone call,then got GT5p from the store.
I waited two months for the disk,told them I hadn't received it yet and got a new disk three days later.

When Sony sends you the box there will be a paper that comes with it that asks you to write down if there is a game in the drive or not and which game is it so they will send you a replacement. Personally I took GT5P out. It wasn't quite a walk in the park, but it was not difficult.

My PS3 YLOD-ed a few days ago. I was out of warrany and i've opened it up once a few months ago. I tried to fix it myself but I ended up making it powerless, don't know what i did wrong. I bought a new 80gb and started to play GT5P all over. Actually it is a joy playing it all again :) Anyway I didn't know for sure if I had a disc in the drive, so I opened it up. It wasn't hard at all. Just some screws and connections. No weird locks or anything.

Back