My race graphs

• Thread starter eran0004
  • 3 comments
Sweden
Sweden
eran0004
As a big fan of Microsoft Excel, what way of telling the story of a race would be better than a graph?
Exactly, so here I present my very first race report graph:

Race: 300 km of Grand Valley
Car: Tesla Roadster
Tyres: Racing soft

teslagv300km.jpg

The left graph is the lap times. My lap times is the white line, the best opponent's lap time is the orange line. The dotted lines are our averages and the last line is the target time, which is the time I needed to do be on a tie with the best opponent (i.e. my lap time minus the gap to the best opponent).

The right graph shows the gap between me and the nearest opponent throughout the race. The gray dotted line is the prognosis (used during the race to predict the final result). The red dotted line shows +/-0, i.e. where the gap between me and best opponent is 0.0 seconds.

So, as you can see on the graph, my normal lap times were roughly 10 seconds faster than the best opponent. However, my electric car ran out of battery much faster than they ran out of fuel. Once I got to the first pit stop I realised that this race was not gonna be as easy as I first though, because my crew held me in the pit for nearly three minutes to change/charge the battery! I went from nearly -2 minutes ahead to almost +1 minute behind due to the pit stop. It then took me 7 laps just to catch up with the leader again.

At my second pit stop (lap 27) something strange happened. The pit crew came out without the refueling guy. What's even more strange is that it only took 30 seconds to fully charge my battery! Much better than 3 minutes, but... it's just weird.

I then pitted again on lap 42, another loooong pit stop. I then decided to do a short third stint, quickly recharging the battery before the final stint so that I wouldn't have to pit in during the last five laps. I was hoping for a quick recharge, because I had only used 25% of the battery, but to my surprise the last pit stop lasted nearly as long as the other ones. I have no idea what is causing the pit stops for electric cars to be so long, it's clearly not because of refueling...

The last stint went well and I ended up with a comfortable win. Although, if the second pit stop hadn't glitched like it did, I would probably have ended up 1 minutes behind my opponent...

I hope PD will fix the electric cars refueling, because I've come to really like those cars. Hard to do longer races when you're not sure how they'll behave in the pits... (even harder if their pit stop times are supposed to be 3 minutes long.)

I hadn't even realized that you could recharge an electric car's battery. I'm pretty sure that wasn't always the case and so they must have changed it in one of the patches already. It seems they haven't quite got it sorted yet though.

GPL (Very old PC 1967 F racing sim) had a free made by the fans Race Analyser that was updated vigorously with so much gubbins and bits to it. Letting you export race results into a HTML format for leagues, and giving a raft of stats and simple graphs.

If GT5 had something half as good as the one made by those guys people would go crazy for it. Above all it was so functional.

I always like to see a race graph with the gap between drivers and how pit stops swap the order about.

The GPLRA http://gplra.martingranberg.se/ Also made by Super Sweedes!

And of course you could analyse a whole replay... then isolate a single lap and see why that lap was so good (or bad) - and compare it to a known good lap, and see why you went faster/ Why HotLap Harry was faster. This was close to 13 years ago for PC's with as much processing power as a modern day automatic catflap.

Good work -

Back