My rant...

• Thread starter Evolver60
  • 22 comments
United States
United States
Antonius_Xylem
I'm sorry but... I really miss the Rally and all of the tracks that GT3 A-Spec and GT4 use to have... Why was it removed and replaces with a crappy "3-2-1-Begin" "5 right" what the heck do that mean? ARRGH Rally should really be in the career mode and not some trainig/special event/lesson....

Miss the rally is all I'm saying and I hope GT6 will bring it back!

What is your thoughts?

Why was it removed and replaces with a crappy "3-2-1-Begin"

Dont all races start this way? :dunce:

"5 right" what the heck do that mean?

5 Would be the severity of the turn. GT5 has made rally more realistic by adding pace notes of a navigator. Dont call it crappy because you dont understand it

ARRGH Rally should really be in the career mode and not some trainig/special event/lesson....

I must have missed the commercial where GT5 claimed to be a stand-alone Rally game. Oh no I didnt, because it's not. Its a driving simulator and they were kind enough to include WRC, so stop complaining man and go buy Dirt 2 or something !!

I'm sorry but... I really miss the Rally and all of the tracks that GT3 A-Spec and GT4 use to have... Why was it removed and replaces with a crappy "3-2-1-Begin" "5 right" what the heck do that mean? ARRGH Rally should really be in the career mode and not some trainig/special event/lesson....

Miss the rally is all I'm saying and I hope GT6 will bring it back!

What is your thoughts?

This will give you a good basic primer on how pace notes work, Colin also gives a brief but informative description in this video.

Pace notes are simple once you get the hang of them and can be incredibly helpful. A good co-pilot can be the difference between a good driver and a great one.

like I said RANT! Is something I find irritating not necessarily accurate. Just give me many rally tracks and put the map in the corner like the rest of the game! without the "Pace notes"... I have no interest in them....

Uh huh...

This is the Q&A section.

I took from your post that you were asking how to read pace notes as that's how you worded it.

If you don't have a question and are unwilling to put in the marginal effort required to learn how to stop the thing that's currently irritating you from being as frustrating - I don't see why this is here?

While it might be nice to have some of the old tracks back (paved and unpaved), I actually prefer the design approach of the rallying in GT5. It's a bit more like... you know... rally driving. And it's quite fun to try to navigate your way through a course you've never driven before with only your co-driver's notes and your memory of studying the map before the race to guide you through. Turning the minimap off is of course a must for doing this and helps make it much more fun. Too bad the co-driver is just plain wrong every now and then.

If there were quite a few more events(perhaps with some small amount of predictability to the general feel of each stage) it would be a big help. I'd also prefer longer stages as a rule, and an end to the stupid "drive straight for half a mile, turn a medium 70-degree turn, drive straight for 3/4 mile and finish" stages. I've actually had a few stages come up that consisted of a straight run from start to finish with no corners. Being able to re-run the events(while still random stages) for more money and having a wider range of performance levels for the aforementioned more events would also be a great improvement. The opportunity to take one practice run might be nice but I'm not sure it's neccessary. A way to do the same exact sort of competition over multiple stages(random or not) online would be great. Of course, the people who understand off-road physics assure us that that area needs a lot of improvement as well. Oh yeah... somebody please teach the bots how to drive in the snow.

So I'd like to see the rallying improved a good bit and expanded upon, but I'm not sure a return to the old "2 laps around a track you've long ago memorized against one car" events would be much of an improvement. Running races around the dirt tracks is fun for sure but I'd prefer it alongside rather than replacing the random point-to-point races(and maybe a couple of permanent point-to-point events).

By the way, no one is stopping anyone from running races in GT5 against the AI on the pre-made off-road tracks or on created ones as it is, with a minimap if desired and with no co-driver. Unfortunately there just aren't any of the old tracks to do it on.

This will give you a good basic primer on how pace notes work, Colin also gives a brief but informative description in this video.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWWsyVMHK6g">YouTube Link</a>

Pace notes are simple once you get the hang of them and can be incredibly helpful. A good co-pilot can be the difference between a good driver and a great one.

LoL I always thought the number was them suggesting what gear to take the corner in.

LoL I always thought the number was them suggesting what gear to take the corner in.

:lol: no no, I'd have been pretty stuffed in my cooper if that were the case, 5 right would have put me into reverse!

:lol: no no, I'd have been pretty stuffed in my cooper if that were the case, 5 right would have put me into reverse!
Yea I was always wondering why I was wrecking even though I was taking the turn in the right gear. LoL damn I feel like an idiot haha. Live and learn.

I say that the rally should be like GT3, it was awesome.

The realism rally in GT5 doesn't feel right for this game, I have W.R.C on PS3 and I love it but GT5 rally isn't even close to the excitement of GT3 or the realism (the fun way) of W.R.C.

I just can't stand the stupid map that's always exactly where I need to be seeing, you know, the track...

I miss Pikes Peek, I miss the Grand Canyon, and a little pissed there is no US Photomode location. I don't off road in GT to "Rally" but to "offroad" Like drifting corners in my Charger around the grand Canyon Track. Pike Peek was perfect for GT and its been a real loss since its been taken from us. It's more a TT then a "Rally" so fits into the dynamics of the game beautifully... If I want to WRC, F1, NASCAR or any other form of racing I run a sim or game that is for that not a production car driving game fronting as a simulator I play GT5 because its more casual then a true Sim and focused on production cars, not specific race cars. Playing GT to get true NASCAR, F1 WRC or even GoKarting racing is a waist of time.

The problem IMO with a game like GT going in the "realer" rally and loosing the old stye is that GT will NEVER come close to a true Rally Sim, or even a dedicated rally game that's well done. So Id rather they work at improving what is good about the game already, instead of loosing some good stuff to make way for a half butt attempt to make it more "real" when its just going to fall short to other options.

Pikes Peek
Why has it only made one appearance and why not bring it back?

Last edited:
like I said RANT! Is something I find irritating not necessarily accurate. Just give me many rally tracks and put the map in the corner like the rest of the game! without the "Pace notes"... I have no interest in them....

I just can't stand the stupid map that's always exactly where I need to be seeing, you know, the track...

The map is annoying! You should be able to turn it off in the options menu.👍

I don't understand how a transparent map bothers you guys so much.. but as ever options are a great thing and it certainly should be optional whether or not to have the map in the centre of the screen.

I think it made sense and helped with a track that you only get one shot at and have never seen before.

The pace notes in GT5 are the worst I've ever seen in any video game. If it is included in GT6, they really need to give ot some serious attention imo.

If you like rally and want it for GT6 then surely you would know Pace notes. There not that difficult and are a key point in any rally.

If you like rally and want it for GT6 then surely you would know Pace notes. There not that difficult and are a key point in any rally.

Point is they suck in GT5 its not that difficult to understand, so if they intend on bringing it to GT6 as people have been saying, it needs serious work. IMO its a waist of time, GT will never be a real WRC game so PD needs to stop fronting and realize why the game has been popular until now and build on that instead of overloading the game with BS fluff like pace notes and a crappy Rally system.

Who cares about pace notes in GT?? WRC guys, but what are they playing GT for if they want WRC, soooooo many better WRC options out there...

Trying to do too much with one product creates failures. There is always a compromise to accommodate and those compromises make it pointless to begin with. Like those old TV's with built in VCR's..

Last edited:
Basic rally knowledge:

In rallying, cars start with at least a 1 minute interval, as it's a point to point stage.

As most professional stages are 30+ km, and you only get a few runs before competition, you'll need pace notes to tell you if it's a fast or slow corner, if there's a crest or jump and if so how long after this the next corner comes. You'll find it handy in a real rally game (advice: Richard Burns Rally. One stage and you'll never say anything bad about having pacenotes). I agree that rallying and karting particularly should go A-Spec and not Special Events: this is also serious competition. The GT5 rally was the closest to rally since GT2, in GT3 and GT4 was closer to rallycross. Had PD taken the time to make even just a 3 round rally championship in A-Spec it would be amazing.

Oh, and if anyone wants to do real rallying online in GT5/6 when it comes, stay tuned

Back