My review about online playing...

• Thread starter PAKFA
  • 10 comments
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I'm writing this here, because firstly it's a review (as the forum's section name states) and secondly the online section of the forum is full of advertising of races and clubs and championships and the sorts.. So here it is:

--------

When I was playing GT5 I said to myself, surely GT6 will have a better online feature (not the player base mid you), well my hopes were wrong.

I know this is still an early version of the game and like GT5 will get better with future patches, but still some things like proper filtering of rooms with specifics (like only with aids ON, or all aids OFF, or at least show what aids and pp the room has, etc) those are not rocket science things to add to a game that is basically a "facelift" of the previous one.

Don't get me wrong, I like GT6, but because of it's huge amount of cars and tracks, and it's more realistically physics (even it's still behind the PC sims physics), but the online part is pretty bad, even to this day after 15 years of Gran Turismo...

So leaving aside the filtering options and online options which are missing in general (shuffle, quick match, etc), what I cannot understand is why so many people like to play with these 3 most gameplay destructive settings on:

1. Boost - Weak or Strong - no matter which one, it spoils the game so much I can't even describe. Where is the fun to catch up a faster car with a slower car, just because the game decides to help you?
I will never understand people who make rooms like this and those who play in them. They must have very low self esteem.
2. Slipstream Strength Strong - again a game breaking feature which makes no sense unless you have no clue about cars. In GT5 we had "weak". Now we have "weak" and "real", any of them are better than "strong".

These 2 options alone makes cars differences almost non-existent or not important, it's like playing a game where all the cars have pretty much the same performance, but they just look different, it can't get more arcade-ish than this.

3. Grip Reduction Low - this is the only feature of the 3 that I can accept, because spinning out of track can be devastating most of the times, but still for a game that calls itself the "real driving simulator" this is too a spoiler.

I mean I can understand rooms with no assists or all assists allowed, but having these 3 options in a room, makes the game so unrewarding and boring, I don't know, am I the only one who is upset about the multitude of online rooms that have these options enabled?

I find myself coming online late in the evening most of the times to find a room and I get all sorts of weird room settings, like the ones above, and the only way I can guarantee my satisfaction is when I make my own room, but I can't do that every time I play, because coming late will not get me any players, so I have to join an existing one which has a decent population, but bad room settings... what a bummer.
Unless I can make a room at a decent hour, so that I gain enough people by the time of the peak hours, I have no other choice but to join an existing one and hope for the best. Searching for an online room is pretty much horrible in Gran Turismo, it was in GT5 and still is in GT6.

I suspect most of the blame for this is the fact that the default room settings when creating an online room have this 3 settings enabled by default, so a lot of people just press create room without even looking at the options they have, except the track they want to use.

What do you guys think?

P.S. I forgot to say, which may be important, that I only do Free Runs and I only play on the Nordschleife online, so that's why I get this "issues" a lot.

Absolutely correct, you should be able to filter your searches much better than you do now and should be able to see more info about each individual room. It's basically a crapshoot at this point which is a shame considering the resources available to PD.

The online options are terrible at the moment. No friends lounge to join anymore? Why would they take that away from us?

As for the boost, I think it can be a good thing when playing against a bunch of friends. When me and my mates had a lounge going on GT5, it was fun to have close racing. The winner was mostly irrelevant, but we used to have such a laugh racing with less than a second between five or six racers, overtaking each other on every corner.

I can see why the serious racers wouldn't want it, but amongst friends, it can be great. And there's nowt wrong with my self esteem by the way.

Online was released unfinished, there's much more soon to come in an update, patience people.

Well, there will always be fair points to both sides of the coin, I guess is a matter of taste, but if that "taste" happens to be the default setting the game has it will get to be not only a matter of taste, but an easiness in choice.

I bet that if the deafault room settings would be: Boost - None & Slipstream Strength - Realistic, the majority of rooms would be made like this, and the majority of people would like this, because they would get used to this and think it's "normal".

Again, tonight, 90% of the rooms had the "game breaker" settings by default: Boost - Weak and Slipstream Strength - Strong. The Grip Reduction is not even as important as those 2 are... the online part is such a disappointment... And I'm not even talking about all the freezes, DCs, stutters and FPS drops we get online, that's a whole new side of disappointment.

The online options are terrible at the moment. No friends lounge to join anymore? Why would they take that away from us?

As for the boost, I think it can be a good thing when playing against a bunch of friends. When me and my mates had a lounge going on GT5, it was fun to have close racing. The winner was mostly irrelevant, but we used to have such a laugh racing with less than a second between five or six racers, overtaking each other on every corner.

I can see why the serious racers wouldn't want it, but amongst friends, it can be great. And there's nowt wrong with my self esteem by the way.
Whilst I complained about having no lounge to begin with, as someone that races a lot privately with friends and family, I actually prefer how it is at the moment in GT6.

You just create a room as normal, set it to friends only, and then everyone else just hits the 'friends only' check box in the online lobby.

Just seems to be a bit quicker to me. You can also quickly make a private race a public one too now.

To the OP complaining about the other boost etc. options: Get over it. For every person complaining that it exists, I'll show you another that would whinge if it didn't exist.

To the OP complaining about the other boost etc. options: Get over it. For every person complaining that it exists, I'll show you another that would whinge if it didn't exist.
And you understood about what I said as much as a rock understands English.

I did not complain about those options that they "exist", I complained that:
1. Those options are set by default by the game when you make an online room.
2. Most people don't bother to make specific room settings (or make a custom saved room) they just press make room with the default options.

1+2 = a lot or rooms have those options, and without a proper filtering tool, I have to join > look at the settings > realize they are "bad/game breakers/unrealistic" > quit > join again (repeat the process) - numerous times, because like I said before, most of the rooms are made with default settings...

Do you get it now?

And you understood about what I said as much as a rock understands English.

I did not complain about those options that they "exist", I complained that:
1. Those options are set by default by the game when you make an online room.
2. Most people don't bother to make specific room settings (or make a custom saved room) they just press make room with the default options.

1+2 = a lot or rooms have those options, and without a proper filtering tool, I have to join > look at the settings > realize they are "bad/game breakers/unrealistic" > quit > join again (repeat the process) - numerous times, because like I said before, most of the rooms are made with default settings...

Do you get it now?
There is nothing that I didn't 'get'. The options exist, people use them. If you don't like it, create your own rooms or leagues etc.

There is nothing that I didn't 'get'. The options exist, people use them. If you don't like it, create your own rooms or leagues etc.
Again, you seem to be ignorant or you didn't understand.
I have already given the answer to what you say here, in my original post:
I find myself coming online late in the evening most of the times to find a room and I get all sorts of weird room settings, like the ones above, and the only way I can guarantee my satisfaction is when I make my own room, but I can't do that every time I play, because coming late will not get me any players, so I have to join an existing one which has a decent population, but bad room settings... what a bummer.
Unless I can make a room at a decent hour, so that I gain enough people by the time of the peak hours, I have no other choice but to join an existing one and hope for the best. Searching for an online room is pretty much horrible in Gran Turismo, it was in GT5 and still is in GT6.

Again standing on the side and looking from a distance (so feel free to correct me if i'm wrong), when i read about the online aspect of GT6, it seems PD was just copy-pasting again without adding any real improvements right?
On the contrary they even made it harder for people to setup a quick online race, by taking away the shuffle races...

Latest Posts

Back