• Thread starter Slash
  • 22 comments

Slash

POWER BY FORD
Premium
United States
Indian Falls, NY
slashfan7964
This is my beloved toy, one of 2 that I had, the second we got rid of because the piston had a hole in it after rebuild because of water in the gas. Very fun. Takes off like a bat out of hell for a 200. It's a 1985 Honda ATC 200X, all original including the chain as you will see. The plastic only has 1 crack in the left side about 3-4 inches long and this thing has been beat to hell and back and runs like new. Smokes a little but not much. A few of the pics the tires are flat from sitting (it sat for 8 years in that shed, next to my go cart we got for 2 bucks off a raffle ticket). Carb is a little clogged, nothing too bad. Purrs nicely. Pretty damn loud for a stock pipe with the baffle installed, it's got a bark to it. Since I don't have a dirt bike so I'm posting this. It does about 55-60 on those tires, if I put the stock ones back on (sitting under my house) it'll do about 65. I put the big ones on for low end power and the trails at my house. I've got a few more pics too but I don't feel like looking for them in my phone. So here we are.

image.jpg

image2.jpg

image3.jpg

This pic is of the original chain (haven't replaced because it's a self oiling o-ring type, it's $130 new) with the steal sretched and tensioner locked.
image5.jpg

image4.jpg

After the tires got blown up
image6.jpg

image7.jpg

Nice, looks like it needs some TLC but once you get it fixed up I bet it'll be loads of fun.
60mph+? Must have moon gearing. My 230 will only do 60 and it probably weighs 50-100 pounds less.

It's just dirty, it runs fine and all just needs a chain. Yeah it's not too fast but it has wicked crazy acceleration, I mean it takes off like a bat out of hell. The one I've been looking at (350X) does about 75 and the 250R (2 stroke) does 93 stock and circles around Banshees all day which why it's nicknamed the Banshee killer. For having been beat to **** for the last 26 years I must say it's in great shape.

As rough as it is it's damn fun and the suspension is so soft you can barely feel it when you it something. I love it. Handles great and couldn't be more happy with it. I think I'll probably replace the front fork boots before anything though.

Had it out for a little while today. Chain fell off a few times as expected but it ran great (after probably 20 kicks it fired up, good after sitting. Then it was 1 kick every time we needed to start it). Hardly any smoke, but it did a little if you laid on the gas.

Nice, was that the first time is year?
I got the Honda out today.
Nice and dry, great fun, might go out again.

No it's been out 3 or 4 times this year, I guess it just needed to run the bad gas out of it because it hardly smoked unless I slammed it and even then there wasn't a lot. I'm running too low an octane as well, regular unleaded won't cut it with 9.6:1 compression. I ended up destroying the bottom of my boot kicking it over though.

Same, if I run 87 it will ping slightly.
And kicking an engine over has got to be one of the hardest things that you can do, especially if it is muggy, you're stuck in mud, and the bugs are having a field day.

Yup it was pinging like a bitch. Really loudly. It's pretty easy to kick over unlike the 350X....my lord.

I know what you mean, on our trials bike you have to put all of your weight on the kickstarter and then hammer it down, it's ok once you get it past that initial 20 degrees but anything before that is just stupid stiff.

Yup all your weight to it. It goes down easy but I think it needs a recoil spring because I kept pulling it up with my foot. It pops out, pushes down 90 degrees then kick. You can kick up top buts easier. Goes right to the ground.

That's why I like ze button.
oldstarter.jpg

Although it would be nice for the bike to weigh 20-30 less pounds from not having a battery and starter.

I'd rather have a kick, so much lighter that way.
And the Shercos choke lever is so close to the frame that it is a VERY tight fit to turn it off.
It doesn't help that it revs its head off uncontrollably with the choke on, you have to scramble to turn it off as your finger gets stuck between the lever and the frame.:scared:

Yeah having it does take a few pounds off. I can imagine that has to be a pain in the ass trying to start all the time. Its nice when mine is warm it fires right up.

Mines a pull start, it's only 70cc, but the acceleration is brilliant. I love taking it out when it snows.

cgg
Mines a pull start, it's only 70cc, but the acceleration is brilliant. I love taking it out when it snows.

Yeah I've had this one out in the snow before, I love doing donuts XD

Ahhh....Dirtbiking in snow, so much fun if there isn't any ice. If ice is present under the surface however. :ouch:

I was thinking of studding the old CRF tires for a dedicated set of snow tires, then I realized there wasn't enough tread. :lol:

My buddy has an '84 200X with a studded front tire. Told him to put a ski on the front XD

Anyone know where I can get synthetic tank covers by CEET like I have? Buddy wants one for his '84. Prevents rust

Couple "new" pics....took these summer 2012. Tires are flat and it's dirty, otherwise runs fine and rides great
0605111554.jpg
0605111657a.jpg
0605111657b.jpg
0605111658b.jpg
0505111732.jpg
0505111731.jpg
0505111734.jpg
0702111620.jpg
1019121650a.jpg
0702111620.jpg
1019121651.jpg
. Also a pic of my go kart.