• Thread starter slthree
  • 6 comments
United States
Fact Central Florida
slthree
Set up a race for 2 hours

4 weather slots 2X progression

Rain/Overcast/Rain/Overcast

I started it in rain because I wanted to drive the first 30 minutes and I figured I could build up a little bit of a lead before we pitted to change tires from wet to slicks

When the rain stopped I went into the pits and got my soft slicks and handed over the car to my swap driver teammate

As I make this post he's pitting for the 4th time in a row

Why is he pitting? There is no rain and he's on soft slicks with fuel for 20 laps

Please, sorry to bother you guys so much but I'm desperately trying to set up a nice long endurance race and it's just not working out and I can't figure out why he keeps pitting

EDIT: He pitted the next 2 laps as well

I've never tried a swap to an AI driver but perhaps your pit strategy doesn't have the tyre change enabled. So it keeps pitting but doesn't receive any tyres so tries again next lap. Or possibly it might be damage it's trying to repair.
Just guessing.

Could be several reasons..

1) He doesn't want to drive on softs, so he'll keep on pitting until he gets hard slicks. Or if it's raining he'll keep pitting until he gets wet tires. I know you said it's not raining but if the game is currently forecasting rain (pause) menu it might trigger the a.i. especially with accelerated time progression with 4 slots of weather (two with rain).

2) The car is damaged and fix damage is currently disabled in the ICM. This is the most likely reason and this has cost me races in the past.

Could be several reasons..

1) He doesn't want to drive on softs, so he'll keep on pitting until he gets hard slicks. Or if it's raining he'll keep pitting until he gets wet tires. I know you said it's not raining but if the game is currently forecasting rain (pause) menu it might trigger the a.i. especially with accelerated time progression with 4 slots of weather (two with rain).

2) The car is damaged and fix damage is currently disabled in the ICM. This is the most likely reason and this has cost me races in the past.
Sentry, you are brilliant! You have saved my sanity! I've been refreshing this thread like a mad man and even started one on the Project Cars forum. This has been driving me crazy

When I gave him the car, it had stopped raining and I put him on soft slicks. I knew hard slicks were more appropriate but since I knew it was going to rain again in another 30 minutes, I used soft. I'm not great at the game so I wanted the added grip.

So, you're saying that he knew the recommended tire was hard slicks and that's why he kept going in? That's a great find.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, short of giving him the tires he wants?

Sentry, you are brilliant! You have saved my sanity! I've been refreshing this thread like a mad man and even started one on the Project Cars forum. This has been driving me crazy

When I gave him the car, it had stopped raining and I put him on soft slicks. I knew hard slicks were more appropriate but since I knew it was going to rain again in another 30 minutes, I used soft. I'm not great at the game so I wanted the added grip.

So, you're saying that he knew the recommended tire was hard slicks and that's why he kept going in? That's a great find.

Is there any way to prevent this from happening, short of giving him the tires he wants?

Without more information (ambient temperature, track temperature, track saturation, accelerated tire wear yes/no) I can't say for sure that is the case he is pitting because he prefers a harder compound. I usually always give the a.i. driver hard slicks because he eats through the tires too quickly. I can double stint hard tires but the a.i. driver can't. So I just give him hard tires every time, if it starts raining he'll pit on his own and I have to make sure the ICM has recommended or Wet tires selected. So maybe setting the ICM tire strategy to 'recommended' might help him pit for the correct tires every time but I don't trust it, I always babysit the a.i. co driver's stints. He's screwed me over too many times and I don't trust him.

In my experience it is caused by having your pit strategy for tyres set to recommended - this always results in unpredictable behaviour and should always be avoided.

If you make sure tyre strategy is set to ALL then the pit crew will always change tyres to what you have set in the pit strategy. The recommended setting for tyres catches out new guys in our league all the time - in standard races too.

One of the first things we tell new drivers is to make sure never to use recommended in tyre strategy.

Another factor with your issue is the track conditions. Just because the rain has stopped it does not mean the track is dry. The A.I. will refuse to drive slicks on a remotely wet track even if slicks are faster - even a few puddles which can be avoided will have the A.I. pitting for wets....which depending on your strategy it might not be able to get from the pit crew.

A similar issue happens with worn tyres. The A.I. will drive until the tyres are completely wrecked. It will then pit. If however you don't have a tyre strategy set and enabled the crew will not swap the tyres and the A.I will just pit every single lap until it gets the tyres it wants.

In my experience it is caused by having your pit strategy for tyres set to recommended - this always results in unpredictable behaviour and should always be avoided.

If you make sure tyre strategy is set to ALL then the pit crew will always change tyres to what you have set in the pit strategy. The recommended setting for tyres catches out new guys in our league all the time - in standard races too.

One of the first things we tell new drivers is to make sure never to use recommended in tyre strategy.

Another factor with your issue is the track conditions. Just because the rain has stopped it does not mean the track is dry. The A.I. will refuse to drive slicks on a remotely wet track even if slicks are faster - even a few puddles which can be avoided will have the A.I. pitting for wets....which depending on your strategy it might not be able to get from the pit crew.

A similar issue happens with worn tyres. The A.I. will drive until the tyres are completely wrecked. It will then pit. If however you don't have a tyre strategy set and enabled the crew will not swap the tyres and the A.I will just pit every single lap until it gets the tyres it wants.
You guys are terrific and so helpful. I'm glad I live in an era with these kinds of forums. Between you and Sentry and all your experience, you've helped me so much.

I actually got through my first endurance race late last night. It was short though, only 90 minutes. But, I had to try again after Sentry's post. My first swap was clean, but my second one was a mess, for exactly the reason you stated. I finished a stint in the rain and I probably pitted too early and gave him hard slicks. He went out and it was still wet (just like you said) and he kept pitting. I didn't know why and I eventually just took the car back (on his 2nd pitstop).

Now, I know even more so I'll put that to work when I get home from work!

Thanks again

Last edited:
Back