My thoughts on switching to manual..

  • Thread starter Thread starter Flerbizky
  • 22 comments
  • 822 views

Flerbizky

Weltanschauung
Premium
Messages
7,588
Denmark
Whateversville
Messages
Flerbizky
Having just seen the light, I figured I might as well put it into writing in case any other is considering switching :irked:

(Actually I didn't wanna do the switch, but Pringles' been hammering me to do so since I got here :crazy: )

Anyway - Don't make this to hard on yourself.. Choose wisely young Jedi, your field of battle and your weapon of choice and thou shall soon master the skill of the manual shift !

So - Having done the Seattle 100 twice today (once in a Trueno) already (Been down sick had nothing better to do today :mad: ) that was my field of battle... My weapon : The almighty Trueno GT-Apex (aka. the Shigeno). Fully modded N/A it kicks out a healthy 287Bhp and I wouldn't have to worry about Turbo lag. Tires : T3's. I choose the harder T3's so I could spin the tires more easily and get a better feel for when a higher gear than the auto would select would be in place. ASM at 1, TSC at 0. (If you have TSC all the way up, the manual shifting probably won't make as much of a difference as you WON'T powerslide the rear anyway)
I choose a 40 lap race because I knew that if I were to do this 3 or 5 (even 10 I think) laps at a time, I wouldn't get a rhythm going. And I'm fairly sure that it helped a lot. After 23 laps I did my best lap time so far in the Trueno on the Seattle track. 1.40'144, so I am by no means fast driver. I just enjoy the game :D

So get in your car and prepare for lift off... See how stupid you feel when you get up one too many and you bug it down. Feel the idiot knock at the back of your head when you shift up twice instead of down approaching a corner. This is why I choose 40 instead of 5 laps.. All these things seem to disappear little by little. And suddenly you find yourself powersliding through a turn where the autobox would've pulled it in 4th. But because you're in control, it's still in third and the slide were PERFECT. You are the King.. See how that that turn were nailed because you didn't spin the rear tires because you were a gear higher than the auto would've been (top of the stairs dammit :trouble: ) And if you wanted to slide the rear for 50 meters, you'd have selected a gear lower...

On the first 8 laps try to remember this : When approching a corner, Brake down to whatever speed you would normally do while keeping the line you'd normally take. THEN downshift. That way you won't have to worry about finding your preferred line or brakepoint (I fuct'ed this a million times). You won't bog it as your speed is going down anyway and you have .2 second while moving from brake to gas where the engine is unemployed anyway :) Those .2 second is the time for downshift. But - it won't take many laps before you're downshifting while you're braking while you're keeping the line. Just let the force guide you.. You'll master this soon enough young Jedi..

Either post here or PM me if there's anything I missed or you feel is a load of bull ;)

/F


Edit: Whoever wrote this sucks at spelling :mad:
 
It was not long ago that I completly switched over to manual. Before that I was nervous at doing harder races or long endurances, but now I realized (that I've learned) that I'm much faster with it and races are much more fun (less boring that jamming that X button). Welcome to the real world... :D
 
Originally posted by zeno
(less boring that jamming that X button). Welcome to the real world... :D
Analog gas my excellent friend.. Analog gas is your friend....
 
Originally posted by Flerbizky
Analog gas my excellent friend.. Analog gas is your friend....

No sir...I can not stand those big bulky (craps) that are totally out of place for me. Sorry.
 
The X button on the DS2 is semi-analogue... 32 degrees of sensitivity remember...
 
Originally posted by Famine
The X button on the DS2 is semi-analogue... 32 degrees of sensitivity remember...

Yep, I can use all 32, no need for the analog. :D
 
Originally posted by Famine
The X button on the DS2 is semi-analogue... 32 degrees of sensitivity remember...
But is doesn't feel right to me.. A button is a button. A stick is a stick.. That and I prefer 256 to 32....
 
I use three. No gas, some gas and "Ker-pow!"...

But it is very easy to just balance the revs on the start line with the X button, so why anyone needs those stupid grey PoSs that stick up from the middle I don't know.
 
Flerbizky, I think your idea is very good. Although I've never switchd to MT having used it from day 1, I would say that learning on a long race with a car of limited power would be the best way to learn. Another possible option would be to run the Trial Mountain 2hrs with a NSX, RX-7 or similar performance machine.

Once shifting becomes second nature then running the very quick cars in manual will be no problem.
 
Originally posted by Flerbizky
But is doesn't feel right to me.. A button is a button. A stick is a stick.. That and I prefer 256 to 32....

Tell that to a pianist. If you can press a piano/keyboard/harpsichord etc. key down to get a soft or hard sound, you can do it with a DS2...

And if it's 256 degrees, then it's not analogue. Analogue is a state of infinite variability along a curve. So it's just as semi-analogue as the buttons.

Get a GTForce wheel... :D
 
Originally posted by Wastegate
Flerbizky, I think your idea is very good. Although I've never switchd to MT having used it from day 1, I would say that learning on a long race with a car of limited power would be the best way to learn. Another possible option would be to run the Trial Mountain 2hrs with a NSX, RX-7 or similar performance machine.

Once shifting becomes second nature then running the very quick cars in manual will be no problem.
That's more or less what I said. A car with not too much power on a turf you know :D
And 287Bhp is pretty close to the RX-7 isn't it ? (haven't got any 7's yet)
 
Originally posted by Famine
Tell that to a pianist. If you can press a piano/keyboard/harpsichord etc. key down to get a soft or hard sound, you can do it with a DS2...

You're looking for an argument here. I DO, for some reason or other,play the piano. And the feel and feedback of a piano is infinite times more accurate than the X button... Ask anyone who plays an "analog" piano......


And if it's 256 degrees, then it's not analogue. Analogue is a state of infinite variability along a curve. So it's just as semi-analogue as the buttons.


I feel sorry for the flys in you area.... :(
 
Originally posted by Flerbizky
Analog gas my excellent friend.. Analog gas is your friend....

I think I need to get pedals. I can't touch the gas on certain cars while coming out of a turn without causing massive oversteer due to the fact that it reads my pressing the X button as flooring it.
 
Originally posted by Woolie Wool
I think I need to get pedals. I can't touch the gas on certain cars while coming out of a turn without causing massive oversteer due to the fact that it reads my pressing the X button as flooring it.
I'm using the stick and for me it works like a charm....
edit: Oh.. Maybe ask Famine where you can get some more sensitive finger tips...
 
I don't mind the trusty ole X button, but i wouldn't mind a wheel either!
 
Actually, if I was looking for an argument, I'd say that in the English language the word is "analogue". But I'm not, so I won't. Besides it'd be unfair - if you are Danish, working in a second language on a board populated by Americans isn't your fault. My Danish isn't that good.

Given that the X button is directly electrically connected to the occurrences on-screen, I'd say it was more sensitive than a piano key, which is linked via a series of mechanical joints to a hammer (as you know).

BTW - What have flies got to do with anything?

But I'm with Dodge - I get by more with the X button than the sticks, but wouldn't mind a wheel at all... Mmmmm, Logitech...
 
Originally posted by Famine

Given that the X button is directly electrically connected to the occurrences on-screen, I'd say it was more sensitive than a piano key, which is linked via a series of mechanical joints to a hammer (as you know).

color]

A real gas pedal I'm estimating, has about 3 inches of travel and infinite number of positions.

The analogue stick has about 1 cm of travel and 256 postions.

The X button has, none and 32 positions.

You're telling me that you can get the same precision with the X button? I doubt it.

As for the piano key, yes it is more "sensitive", but sensitivity doesn't apply in that context. If I strike a key with a force of say 32 units, I can also strike it with 31.5 units of force and still hear a difference. Similarly I can strike the key with 31.005 units of force, and might not be able to hear a difference, but the amplitude of the sounds waves generated would reflected that 31.005 units of force.

What happens if I hit the X button with 31.005 of force? I get 31. If I use 31.5, I get 32. Not very precise is it?
 
Originally posted by uM_Jammer
A real gas pedal I'm estimating, has about 3 inches of travel and infinite number of positions.

The analogue stick has about 1 cm of travel and 256 postions.

The X button has, none and 32 positions.

You're telling me that you can get the same precision with the X button? I doubt it.

As for the piano key, yes it is more "sensitive", but sensitivity doesn't apply in that context. If I strike a key with a force of say 32 units, I can also strike it with 31.5 units of force and still hear a difference. Similarly I can strike the key with 31.005 units of force, and might not be able to hear a difference, but the amplitude of the sounds waves generated would reflected that 31.005 units of force.

What happens if I hit the X button with 31.005 of force? I get 31. If I use 31.5, I get 32. Not very precise is it?

Good point.
 
So, you're telling me you can, with absolute certainty, push the analogue stick forwards by 0.039mm intervals?

It's not the travel, it's the pressure in the case of the X button.

Added to that I make NO claims to it being more or less precise than the stick, merely that BOTH button and stick are semi-analogue and not true analogue.
 
Originally posted by Famine
So, you're telling me you can, with absolute certainty, push the analogue stick forwards by 0.039mm intervals?

It's not the travel, it's the pressure in the case of the X button.

Added to that I make NO claims to it being more or less precise than the stick, merely that BOTH button and stick are semi-analogue and not true analogue.

Good point.
 
Welcome to the club Flerbizky. :)

Get rid of ASM and TCS and you'll have access to the 'Super-Plus Club Members Lounge'. :)
 
Lets see, when did I switch to manual.......................................................

Long time ago!

In fact, I did like 3 months after playing gt3, while I was playing with my cousin, he used to tell me manual is more "professional" and less "noob", so tried. Of course, the first few moments were to film them and put a sticker "The dumbest mistakes" on the tape. My main mistake was to forget to downshift , or hit the rev limit. I still hit the rev limit, but when I dont know the car, but I rarely do it.

Then, just the manual shifting comes natural to me. I mean, every corner is treated like this. For example the first turn on Laguna Seca; 120 mph on 4th gear, getting closer, stop pressing the gas, and let the car go, 110 mph still on 4th gear, getting even closer!, 105mph!, brake, 80, 70, 60, 50,40!, gear down shift!, 3rd, 2nd, gas gently, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45 mph, maintain current speed on 2nd shift, exiting first corner, gently add more power, 46, 48, 50, upshift gears!, 3rd gear, 50, 60, 65 mph, upshift one more time!, 70, 80, maintain current speed and pass second corner at mid 80's on 4th gear.

All that happens in my head automatically like in 3 seconds. And the moment I am exiting one corner, I am already preparing myself to take the next one.

This game is great.
 
Back