My Top Gear Power Laps

  • Thread starter Thread starter SuperShouden
  • 13 comments
  • 1,256 views

SuperShouden

(Banned)
Messages
7,542
Messages
SuperShouden
Once I've run all the cars I want, which might will probably be most of them. (I won't be buying Miatas or every Skyline), I might post pictures. However, I think the best way for everyone to view this would be to link to the googledocs version.

I don't know how often I'll update this, but I figured it would be fun to see.

My rules for laps:

1. Vehicle must be dead stock.
2. Racing Tires are forbidden from the Production car list. (I know the Pagani has Racing tires, and I am debating what to do about it.)
3. Lap times must be standing starts and only one lap can be run.

Anyway, here's the link:
https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc...U5tek53TnFqR3BZcXhfU2c&hl=en&authkey=CIWe2fEB

Sorry about the Timing format. in OpenOffice, my times go to the second decimal point, but GoogleDocs is a little stupid.
 
Last edited:
It should be updated now. I've completed 99 production cars and 30 race cars. The Pagani Zonda R has been moved into the Race Car list as it comes with Racing Tires stock.
 
Idk if it's supposed to be this way, but the link sends one to the login screen of Google Docs. and to add: The Pagani Zonda R is a race car, isn't it? It sure looks like one and I would sespect the R to mean Race or Race Car. The Zonda C12S 7.3 is the best of the other Zondas.
 
Himm...I shall work on that. And the R does have the sponsors listed on it, so, it IS technically a race car, but it's also a production car, isn't it? A production race car. I always thought the Cinque was their race car.

Link fixed. should be viewable to everyone but only I can edit it.
 
Last edited:
Updated. 201 "production" cars, 39 race cars run. That's 240 cars out of 352 cars. That means I've go 112 left to go if I don't buy any more. Luckily, I don't have the money to buy any more. :P
 
impressive list, suprised the '10 sti is faster than the RM sti
 
Yeah. Not by much, but it is. I'm really impressed with the Evo IX with it's 1'29 on street tires.
 
Just a few questions on this.....

1) What assists are you using? I normally have all off apart from ABS on 1.
2) You quote 'sport' tyres - I'm guessing you mean 'Hard' sport tyres?
3) Have you done these times online or offline?

Me and my brother are currently doing a similar thing, but not using a standing start and only 'sport hard tyres', and all in online lobbies. Oh and we are only working through the 'recommended' cars and about another 20 non tuned cars in our garages - all productions cars (not interested in racing ones). We are also doing 2- 3 laps at a go so laps with mistakes are not quoted. So far we have had similar results to yours, with the cars being in approximately the same order (although our laps are 2-3 seconds quicker due to rolling fast starts). We are also strict not to cut any corners - you're only cheating yourself if you do that, as when it comes to racing in future, penalties will be on. We are doing the times via online lobbies on free run (easy to change cars on same track).

We then plan to use these times (as well as yours) as just a guide for future online racing.
 
Last edited:
Well, if you cut corners in invalidates the lap. But Sport tires just means sport tires. Whatever sport tires the car has stock. Usually they are sport hard but not always.

Assists are TCS at 5 and ABS at 1.

Times are offline.
 
The Pagani Zonda R like the Ferrari 599XX isn't a production car nor is it a racing car so probably the best term for these type of cars is production derived (sports) cars. Since the Zonda R isn't road legal, it doesn't have to meet the tire regulation. When the Zonda R set the Nurburgring record, the tires used were the Pirelli PZero Slick- the newer durable HAOF (Highly Aromatic Oil Free) compound. In GT5, the Racing Hard (R1) is probably the best tires to match the PZero Slick adhesion and performance.

For the rest of the car on your list, if you're after is close to real world performance, I would suggest for cars like the 1969 Chevy Camaro or any vintage cars for that matter, Comfort Hard or Medium would probably model the performance better.

Sports cars like the Nissan 370Z which IRL uses the Bridgestone Potenza RE050 which by the look of its tread is close to that of a Comfort tires (a much deeper and uniform thread). Here's a good comparison between the RE050:

bs_potenza_re050a_ci2_l.jpg


and Bridgestone Potenza RE070R which is the OEM tire on the Nissan R35 GTR

bs_potre070r_r2rft_ci2_l.jpg


and another interesting comparison is the Bridgestone Potenza RE070 (OEM tires on the 2004 Subaru WRX STI although the newer uses the RE050)- notice the deeper thread but especially on the edge compared to the "balder" RE070R:

bs_potenza_re70_ci2_l.jpg


and an example of Michelin Pilot Sport Cup+ which is closer to what is an S (Sport) tires (the tires found on Porsche 911 GT3RS or the GT2):

bs_potenza_re70_ci2_l.jpg


And the Pirelli PZero Corsa is undeniably a Sport tire:

pi_pzero_corsa_ci2_l.jpg


Personally, I would tend towards Comfort Medium and Soft in most cases unless the car is known to use compound such as (or close to) the RE070R or the Pilot Sport Cup+. While the stock tires that come with each car (in GT5) is close to its RL counterpart, I'd look further into places like tirerack.com (where you can check the OEM tires for almost every car ever made) to find the best ones.
 
umm....I just run everything stock with what the game gives me.

The Zonda R along with the other tuner cars go on the racing/tuner car list. Like the AEM S2000 got a 1:27...with Comfort tires.

I'm not going to change my setup.
 
Nice times. I'm surprised that the Audi Pikes Peak can beat an MP4.
 
Yeah. I need to re-run the MP4. It's time seems way low. Next time I post update the list, the Race Car/Tuner Car list will be a bit more filled out as that's pretty much all the Premium cars I have left. (NASCARs are all purchased and ran. Working on Super GT cars then Rally Cars. I have 7 premium production cars left, I believe.)
 
It should be updated now. I've completed 99 production cars and 30 race cars. The Pagani Zonda R has been moved into the Race Car list as it comes with Racing Tires stock.

Zonda R isn't road legal I think
 
Back