My unnamed driving game

United Kingdom
Sunderland
I thought it might be interesting to post this here and see what people think of it.

I had an idea back in May 2019 of making a GRID-style main menu for a game in Unity, having a camera floating around different parts of a garage and interacting with a computer. I was pleased with the result but didn't go any further with it, and the idea lay dormant until March 2021.

Here's a quick demonstration video which shows off the main UI, the used car dealer, and a bit of gameplay on a very basic mapped out track:

As you'll see from footage, the game revolves around buying and owning cars in the same vein as a GT game - complete with a used car dealer which has random mileages for cars (currently just generates a new set every time you visit, but will eventually be linked to days/weeks). One thing I'm striving for is featuring plenty of vehicles that you don't see featured in games, so vans, wagons, lower trim models (think 320i vs M3), etc.

The physics are driven by NWH Vehicle Physics 2, which as you can see has fairly nice suspension travel, grip, and engine parameters for a nice semi simcade feel. For content, everything is driven by a database which makes it quick and easy for me to add new cars and specs, and they'll automatically be picked up by the used car dealer.

The main art style is low poly as I'm just one person working on all of the code and assets and this makes things easier to build and get in-game. I noticed that people rarely go for low poly with realistic lighting, so I thought this might be an interesting route to go down.

It's neat that there's a whole handful of us working on 3D projects. It goes to show the quality of the tools that are so freely available today. :)

It's also funny...
One thing I'm striving for is featuring plenty of vehicles that you don't see featured in games, so vans, wagons, lower trim models (think 320i vs M3), etc.
...that at least three of us have this same priority, myself included. :lol:

It's interesting comparing your fictional brand names to mine... ;) Soon™...

I thought it might be interesting to post this here and see what people think of it.

I had an idea back in May 2019 of making a GRID-style main menu for a game in Unity, having a camera floating around different parts of a garage and interacting with a computer. I was pleased with the result but didn't go any further with it, and the idea lay dormant until March 2021.

Here's a quick demonstration video which shows off the main UI, the used car dealer, and a bit of gameplay on a very basic mapped out track:

As you'll see from footage, the game revolves around buying and owning cars in the same vein as a GT game - complete with a used car dealer which has random mileages for cars (currently just generates a new set every time you visit, but will eventually be linked to days/weeks). One thing I'm striving for is featuring plenty of vehicles that you don't see featured in games, so vans, wagons, lower trim models (think 320i vs M3), etc.

The physics are driven by NWH Vehicle Physics 2, which as you can see has fairly nice suspension travel, grip, and engine parameters for a nice semi simcade feel. For content, everything is driven by a database which makes it quick and easy for me to add new cars and specs, and they'll automatically be picked up by the used car dealer.

The main art style is low poly as I'm just one person working on all of the code and assets and this makes things easier to build and get in-game. I noticed that people rarely go for low poly with realistic lighting, so I thought this might be an interesting route to go down.

Nice to see another fellow Unity developer :)

My game is based more off PCars with my own simcade physics. I'm also one of those guys who wants to add many vintage and wacky vehicles.

It's interesting comparing your fictional brand names to mine... ;) Soon™...
My line of thought is basically "what would Rockstar name this in GTA?" - they're almost always a reference to the place the car comes from, a designer, or a pun, etc.

Added another car, a model I've had laying around for over a year which I decided to finish up:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Back