My unorthodox DIY handbrake

• Thread starter Infernuz
  • 0 comments
Greece
Athens
So the idea came randomly when i was playing Assetto. I have a G29 and i obviously didn't fancy pressing the circle button for either drifting or rally. All the youtube DIY videos were with either an actual hydro handbrake & arduino or with a joystick. Don't have any of these. Only a spare broke ps3 controller. Came up with this:
39091796_307261226507491_7855011669850718208_n.jpg

Parts:
- PS3 controller board (remove everything except the analog sticks)
- Controller's USB cable (not micro-usb)
- Rubber bands, the ammount depends on the size of them. For example mine were small, so i used 4.
- Piece of cardboard
- Insulating tape.

Since i didn't want to bother with a drill, i mounted the board on the shifter using 3 bands.
I kept both of the analog sticks so there there is a "pivot point" on the handbrake, which means when i pull it, the axis moves and when i leave it, the axis goes back to the opposite side ( 0 ).
Tie one rubber band like this:
39090085_485188611967010_6114645192994717696_n.jpg

Basically, you want the right analog stick to face the left one. The left one is the handbrake.

Now, about the cardboard. You can obviously use something else as an e-brake but bare in mind that you will need bigger rubber bands, because the weight on them with a bigger item would be massive increased.

Pros:

- Didn't cost me a penny, had all this stuff already.
- Works as an axis and not as a button (tested in AC)
- Easy

Cons :

- Can't rip the handbrake like Ken Block, else it will fall apart
- Tape needs to be replaced after a while

So probably the next upgrade i will be doing is putting something else instead of a piece of cardboard. Open to any suggestions, feedback and criticism.

Back