My vette

• Thread starter I6-4-eva
  • 17 comments
Very nice! What mods have you done, if any at all?

The engine is stock but i've added Bilstein shocks, Borla catback exhaust, CarbonTech xp8 pads all around, and custom brake ducts with spindle ducts. I've already spent a good chunk of change on prepping for HPDE. Gas,tires,fluids,brake pads,track fees,hotels, and track insurance it all adds up. I could've spent that money on cam/heads/exhaust but I feel seat time is more bang for my buck. The LS7 is plenty quick on the track stock and I still scare myself sometimes.

You and @ND4SPD need to have a race :P

Nice car, C6 Z06 is my fave Corvette ever and the sound of the LS7 is amazing. 👍

The engine is stock but i've added Bilstein shocks, Borla catback exhaust, CarbonTech xp8 pads all around, and custom brake ducts with spindle ducts. I've already spent a good chunk of change on prepping for HPDE. Gas,tires,fluids,brake pads,track fees,hotels, and track insurance it all adds up. I could've spent that money on cam/heads/exhaust but I feel seat time is more bang for my buck. The LS7 is plenty quick on the track stock and I still scare myself sometimes.
Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the heads/valve guides issue? I've seen some guys claim they've had no issues since new, and of course, some showing they lost the engine within' 5,000 miles of ownership. Seems like some folks have even tried to file a lawsuit against GM for failing to acknowledge it?

Out of curiosity, what's your opinion on the heads/valve guides issue? I've seen some guys claim they've had no issues since new, and of course, some showing they lost the engine within' 5,000 miles of ownership. Seems like some folks have even tried to file a lawsuit against GM for failing to acknowledge it?

I would just get them fixed. If the car was bought with a warranty, get a wiggle test done at a dealer and replace if necessary. If you don't want to go through this headache and still want a c6 just get the grand sport.

I would just get them fixed. If the car was bought with a warranty, get a wiggle test done at a dealer and replace if necessary. If you don't want to go through this headache and still want a c6 just get the grand sport.
It was originally the big put off for me, and I was considering a GS. But, it's become a risk I'm willing to overlook. I just wanted to get an owner's opinion on it bc it seems like such a split view that results in differing advice that clearly identifies who's had problems and who hasn't.

I'll hopefully be joining the club here in a couple weeks. :)

It was originally the big put off for me, and I was considering a GS. But, it's become a risk I'm willing to overlook. I just wanted to get an owner's opinion on it bc it seems like such a split view that results in differing advice that clearly identifies who's had problems and who hasn't.

I'll hopefully be joining the club here in a couple weeks. :)

The dealer i bought my car from sold me an aftermarket warranty when I bought the car. I later felt stupid after googling aftermarket warranties and how horrible they can be. So after driving the car for a couple months I decided to get the "wiggle test" done and also put my warranty to use. A day after I dropped the car off the dealer informed me that the valve guides were out of spec and the heads would be replaced under warranty. Let me tell you I wasn't feeling so stupid after seeing the bill. PM if you want the details.

I honestly think the LS7 valve guide wear is blown out of proportion but should not be ignored. If you are serious about purchasing a C6Z, at least get a wiggle test done, shops charge anywhere from $300-400. There are many opinions about how accurate the wiggle test is but i'd rather pay 300-400 instead of 16k for a new LS7.

Once the heads have been addressed theres not much that can go wrong with this car.

The dealer i bought my car from sold me an aftermarket warranty when I bought the car. I later felt stupid after googling aftermarket warranties and how horrible they can be. So after driving the car for a couple months I decided to get the "wiggle test" done and also put my warranty to use. A day after I dropped the car off the dealer informed me that the valve guides were out of spec and the heads would be replaced under warranty. Let me tell you I wasn't feeling so stupid after seeing the bill. PM if you want the details.

I honestly think the LS7 valve guide wear is blown out of proportion but should not be ignored. If you are serious about purchasing a C6Z, at least get a wiggle test done, shops charge anywhere from $300-400. There are many opinions about how accurate the wiggle test is but i'd rather pay 300-400 instead of 16k for a new LS7.

Once the heads have been addressed theres not much that can go wrong with this car.
I don't know if it's sad, but I've never heard of the wiggle test. Most of the comments I read basically claim, that if you just want to have it checked out to be safe, you might as well replace/upgrade them for the money a dealer will want just to inspect them?

The place I'm currently working out a deal with knows about the issue, but they share the same sentiment & feel it's not that big of a deal, that knowing how the car was used should play a big role in figuring out what caused the engine to grenade. But, their service guys have & can do it if I feel its that important. They think the money would be better spent on buying GM's powertrain warranty so it's covered anyway, alongside everything else.

I don't know if it's sad, but I've never heard of the wiggle test. Most of the comments I read basically claim, that if you just want to have it checked out to be safe, you might as well replace/upgrade them for the money a dealer will want just to inspect them?

The place I'm currently working out a deal with knows about the issue, but they share the same sentiment & feel it's not that big of a deal, that knowing how the car was used should play a big role in figuring out what caused the engine to grenade. But, their service guys have & can do it if I feel its that important. They think the money would be better spent on buying GM's powertrain warranty so it's covered anyway, alongside everything else.

youtube "wiggle test" and you'll see a ton of videos on the LS7. Any reputable corvette shop should be able to do it. It's not rocket science :)

You can use the money towards a warranty but just know that you are on borrowed time. New GM ls7 cylinder heads have shown wear after a couple thousand miles. The valve guide wear affects all model years and i suspect even the Z28 will suffer the same fate(same ls7 from the c6z). There are two reputable shops on the west coast that can "fix" the heads for you, just do a search on corvette forums. Whatever you decide to do just get the heads addressed and enjoy the car.

youtube "wiggle test" and you'll see a ton of videos on the LS7. Any reputable corvette shop should be able to do it. It's not rocket science :)

You can use the money towards a warranty but just know that you are on borrowed time. New GM ls7 cylinder heads have shown wear after a couple thousand miles. The valve guide wear affects all model years and i suspect even the Z28 will suffer the same fate(same ls7 from the c6z). There are two reputable shops on the west coast that can "fix" the heads for you, just do a search on corvette forums. Whatever you decide to do just get the heads addressed and enjoy the car.
I did, but found a lot more info from reading owners' opinions on it; seemed as evenly split. There was a reputable shop that chimed in reporting that the person doing the test has to know what they're doing & that it's not impossible fubar (that's why they referenced having a good shop do it to begin with). I think in 8 cars they performed the test on, as soon as they pulled the heads, 2 were actually fine, 3 absolutely needed work, and the other 3 weren't as bad as they assumed originally. All 8 still left with the satisfaction of having them addressed, none the less.

As for borrowed time, I've got a 2-year warranty on it, so it should be ample time to get to having them done next year sometime, hopefully by the summer & I can actually begin some power mods. Next couple months though will be enjoying it until the temps. drop, and I have her stored in the garage for January. I eventually want to bring her to the level yours is at. :)

Oooh. Sexy car! Victory red?

yep victory red. I was hoping to get torch red but I guess the z06 never came in that color.

I did, but found a lot more info from reading owners' opinions on it; seemed as evenly split. There was a reputable shop that chimed in reporting that the person doing the test has to know what they're doing & that it's not impossible fubar (that's why they referenced having a good shop do it to begin with). I think in 8 cars they performed the test on, as soon as they pulled the heads, 2 were actually fine, 3 absolutely needed work, and the other 3 weren't as bad as they assumed originally. All 8 still left with the satisfaction of having them addressed, none the less.

As for borrowed time, I've got a 2-year warranty on it, so it should be ample time to get to having them done next year sometime, hopefully by the summer & I can actually begin some power mods. Next couple months though will be enjoying it until the temps. drop, and I have her stored in the garage for January. I eventually want to bring her to the level yours is at. :)

Did you get one? congrats if you did.

Back