• Thread starter JohnBM01
  • 2 comments

JohnBM01

20 years!
Premium
United States
Houston, Texas, USA
JMarine25
GTPlanet, another week of college football and I'm making my quick report of games as usual. Games will have titles to them and ff I have a score for you, it will be in brackets. With the score, if the home team won, it will be shown in CAPS; if the Away team wins, it will be shown regularly. In the first reply, I'll include Div. 1-A games. Keep in mind, there are MANY games across America, so just look around for your game. In the second reply, I'll include Div. 1-AA or lower games. In the third reply, I'll include some nice commentary including my picks for upset of the week, big wins, wonderful performances, and my favorite, the "YOU GOT OWNED!" of the week. This is pretty much the midpoint of the college football season, so here goes.

* "On Point" West Virginia wins over the UConn Huskies. UConn is, of course, the defending national champions in Men's and Women's College Basketball.
* "You Can't Hang With Us!" Louisville were looking to upset the 'Canes. The key phrase is... "AT THE ORANGE BOWL." Houston tried to beat Miami in Houston and failed... and Louisville couldn't knock off the Hurricanes. The Hurricanes remain undefeated.
* "Ugly in Alabama-Birmingham" Texas Christian University (TCU) were blown out by the UAB Blazers of Alabama-Birmingham. The victory was at least a half apart.
* "Sweet Revenge" Manhattan, Kansas, USA is the venue at beautiful Kansas State University. The purple and silver took on the crimson and cream. [31-21, Oklahoma]
* "Down to the Wire" This matchup is Boston College at Pittsburgh. The game was 17-17 in regulation until Pittsburgh won with a winning field goal [20-17, PITTSBURGH]
* "Whack the Gopher" Michigan State is looking to take down the Minnesota Golden Gophers, and they do it in b*tchin' fashion, winning by more than 35 points. [51-17, MICHIGAN STATE]
* "Un-Undefeated!" East Rutherford, NJ, USA- Navy vs. Notre Dame. What is otherwise where the New York Giants play, it's a college football war with an undefeated team vs. the team who knocked off both bigtime Michigan programs. Notre Dame whipped Navy. Navy is no longer undefeated. [27-9, Notre Dame]
* "Stopped Short" Michigan took on Illinois. And you know, I say "blowout!" And the Wolverines did the job against the Fighting Illini. [30-19, Michigan]
* "AU is For Real" Arkansas took on Auburn in this SEC war in Auburn, AL, USA. Sad for Arkansas is that Auburn cleaned up.
* "Who Wants to Beat USC?" College football analysts predicted that Arizona State would take down their Pac-10 counterpart, USC. They were wrong as USC completely BLEW OUT Arizona State [45-7, UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH CALIFORNIA]
* "Ole Rocky Top"
* "Where the Buffaloes Roam..." Lovely Folsom Field is the venue for a Big XII matchup between Colorado and Iowa State. The
* "Gators vs. Blue Raiders" Middle Tennessee went down to Florida and couldn't hold a candle to the too-tough Florida Gators. [52-16, #22 FLORIDA]
* "The Devil Went Down to Georgia Tech" It's the ATL, baby! Basketball powerhouse Duke University's Blue Devils met up with Georgia Tech and lose to the Yellow Jackets. [24-7 GEORGIA TECH]
* "Triples" The Georgia Bulldogs took on Vanderbilt. Vandy lost to the now 5-1 Bulldogs. [33-3 GEORGIA]
* "Seeing Scarlet" The Owls of Temple fall to the Rutgers Scarlet Knights.
* "" Wyoming/BYU
* "Aloha Hawai'i!" Hawaii meets the University of Texas-El Paso (UTEP) in Texas' westernmost major city.
* "Somebody's Goin' Down!" As the title suggests, Wisconsin is undefeated as is Purdue. So since there can only be one winner, someone's going undefeated between #1? Wisconsin and #5 Purdue. Baby, take down the goal posts because Wisconsin took down the Boilermakers in a heartbreak. Purdue could have taken the game into overtime, but the field goal to tie went wide right. End result- no good, Wisconsin will improve their ranking.
* "We Have Liftoff" The Toledo Rockets play at home against the Ohio Bobcats. The Rockets beat the Bobcats in Toledo. [31-13, TOLEDO]
* "Bad Day on the Road" Baylor arrived safely to Nebraska, but the road was very rocky for Baylor to try to make something out of nothing facing the Nebraska Cornhuskers. They would be unable to take down Oklahoma's other big rival, Nebraska. [59-27(?), NEBRASKA]
* "Is There a Doctor In the House?" Ohio State hit it off against the Iowa Hawkeyes in this Big Ten matchup. Around the half, Iowa is trying to make sure Ohio State loses three straight games since Ohio State was upset by Northwestern about three weeks ago. [HAWKEYES]
* "Alabama Rolls On" How about that Alabama Crimson Tide? They beat down Conference USA's Southern Miss in a blowout game. [27-3, ALABAMA]
* "Still in the Fight" The Texas Longhorns come after losing 12-0 to Oklahoma to beat the Missouri Tigers. [28-20, TEXAS]
* "Hard to Swallow" Pit a Division 1-AA team against a high-powered Division 1-A team. What do you have? A BLOWOUT. So far, this is the second worst shutout I've ever seen since being a football fan in 2002. Only thing worse? How about Oklahoma/Texas A&M (77-0, Oklahoma)? Anyhow, the Florida A&M Rattlers aren't going to be sleeping very well after this game's 62-point shutout [62-0, VIRGINIA TECH]
* "Sparkling Spartans" North Carolina State beats Maryland on the road.
* "Thunder over Flash" Marshall's Thundering Herd over Kent State's Golden Flashes
Akron ovr UCF

DIVISION 1-AA AND OTHERS

* "Scoreless AGAIN?" We begin with a team from my hometown of Houston, TX, USA. The Texas Southern Tigers went to Mississippi to take on the Alcorn State Braves. They are trying not to repeat their performance in 1989 when they didn't win ANY games, going 0-11. On the bright side, TSU's defense held pretty well. [30-0, ALCORN STATE]
* "New England " UMass/NH
Duqesne/St. Peters
Holy Cross/Dartmouth
Aus Peay/Iville
* "" Lafayette takes down Bucknell.
* "Tartar Control" Colgate won over the big red of Cornell.
* "Around the Hornets" Delaware State's Hornets win over the Aggies of North Carolina A&T at home.
* "" La Salle def. Catholic
* "Quakers conQuest" Penn def. Columbia
Wagner def. Iona
W&M def. Rhode Island [??-?? WILLIAM AND MARY]
Lehigh def. Yale
WOFFORD def. West Carolina
James Madison ovr Maine
Hampton def. Norfolk State
* "Fly, Dayton, Fly!" Dayton def. ROB MORRIS
* "" Drake def. Butler
* "The Master Paladins" FURMAN def. Citadel
ND State def. S Utah
* "The Other Baton Rouge Superstars" Southern wins over Jackson State [45-7, SOUTHERN]
Monmouth def. Albany
SAM HOUSTON STATE def. Nichol State
* "SWAC Shakeup" Pine Bluff def. Grambling State

MY COMMENTARY

Now let me discuss some of the big moments (as of 9:08 PM 10/16/04). Read on.

UPSET OF THE WEEK:
* Purdue misses a field goal for Wisconsin to win on the road 20-17.
BIGGEST WIN OF THE WEEK:
* Oklahoma gets revenge over Kansas State from the Big XII Championship Game last season. And where better to do it than to shut them down (and up) at KSU. Big win for them.
MOST DISAPPOINTING LOSS OF THE WEEK:
* Ohio State is not the same anymore. They are a tough-as-nails team and I believe they can bounce back. They may not even make it to a BCS Bowl Game this season, but they can at least go for a non-BCS Bowl Game. All is not lost, OSU. I think they can turn things around.
THIS WEEK'S "YOU GOT OWNED!":
* I would have said Virginia Tech over Florida A&M, but my pick for "YOU GOT OWNED!" OF THE WEEK would be Minnesota getting their butts PWN3D at Michigan State 51-17. I believe Minnesota was a ranked team.

The halfway point is done, and Week 9 is coming up. Still plenty of football to go before mentioning playoffs, Bowl Games, Heisman awards, all-Americans, and more. I'll be back next week with another college football report. See you around! Comment if you wish.

Back