Need advice-new to F1 racing

• Thread starter DrDetroit
  • 18 comments
United States
United States
DrDetroit70
Hi Guys/Gals,

Just picked up F1 2013, and so far its been an amazing experience and I'm very pleased (picked up the $70 edition--forgot the subtitle--Classic Edition or something). I'm still getting the hang of it, but fun and intense as hell, I get mentally fatigued after 10-practice laps lol. Can't wait to get into career mode with Caterham (I only bronzed , at best a silver or two, for my license tests), whom I just signed with.

Anyhow, question is; I'm able to stay on the racing line for the most part, pushing the car pretty hard through corners. Though I'm still not at racing pace, even when pushing the car to the traction limits. I can't keep up in the straights...I seem to be ok in the turns.

What suggestions can you fast racers give me, technique wise, to help a new comer place at least in the middle of the pack during qualifying?

What I'm looking for is advice on techniques like; don't break at the apex...or break at the apex...trail break when you hit a certain corner, etc....don't tell me to put on driving aids, as I don't want to relearn how to drive properly all over again w/out aids on.

P.S; I also have GT6, which is excellent, but the career mode leaves a lot to be desired, which is why I purchased F1 '13. I want a real career mode that is seamless as possible, and for a mid-fideleity racing sim like GT6 would have a better career mode setup. I can see that Codemasters has the 'polish' on this racing sim that I'm looking for.

Thanks in advance!

DrDetroit

after playing 500 plus hours of f1 2013 i can say its 1. having a proper wheel n pedals 2. when first starting out in career its best to get all golds @ the rookie testing so you can unlock lotus, if not u will be behind. unless u turn the difficulty down. That being said. I play with no abs no tcs only the line (because it all happens so fast) the trick is to learn how to manage your fuel and pit strategy, its not like regular racing, you might race your first 8-10 laps in 3rd then they pit your take first n pit then u can battle til the end. its a very tooth and nail game highly recommend mid game saves. saved my ass once or twice... i play on pc though because i find on consoles it just tooo hard. pm if u need moe specific info

Anyhow, question is; I'm able to stay on the racing line for the most part, pushing the car pretty hard through corners. Though I'm still not at racing pace, even when pushing the car to the traction limits. I can't keep up in the straights...I seem to be ok in the turns.
There is a *massive* difference in performance between the front-runners and the back-markers. If you're racing for Caterham, then expect to fight the likes of Marussia, not Red Bull.

Getting into Q2 with a Caterham is a tall order. They usually only do it when it's wet.

What suggestions can you fast racers give me, technique wise, to help a new comer place at least in the middle of the pack during qualifying?
Have you tried working on the set-up? For the most part, the game will give you a base set-up that good for the circuit, but there is still scope to fine-tune it. And it's worth remembering that half the set-up will be dialling the car into the nuances of the circuit, and half will be in adapting it to your driving style.

What I'm looking for is advice on techniques like; don't break at the apex...or break at the apex...trail break when you hit a certain corner, etc....don't tell me to put on driving aids, as I don't want to relearn how to drive properly all over again w/out aids on.
Figuring out exactly where you can pick up the throttle is usually the key. You can usually soften the rear suspension to kill the sensitivity to traction, so you can get on the power a little harder without fear of turning around.

There is a *massive* difference in performance between the front-runners and the back-markers. If you're racing for Caterham, then expect to fight the likes of Marussia, not Red Bull.

Getting into Q2 with a Caterham is a tall order. They usually only do it when it's wet.

Have you tried working on the set-up? For the most part, the game will give you a base set-up that good for the circuit, but there is still scope to fine-tune it. And it's worth remembering that half the set-up will be dialling the car into the nuances of the circuit, and half will be in adapting it to your driving style.

Figuring out exactly where you can pick up the throttle is usually the key. You can usually soften the rear suspension to kill the sensitivity to traction, so you can get on the power a little harder without fear of turning around.
after playing 500 plus hours of f1 2013 i can say its 1. having a proper wheel n pedals 2. when first starting out in career its best to get all golds @ the rookie testing so you can unlock lotus, if not u will be behind. unless u turn the difficulty down. That being said. I play with no abs no tcs only the line (because it all happens so fast) the trick is to learn how to manage your fuel and pit strategy, its not like regular racing, you might race your first 8-10 laps in 3rd then they pit your take first n pit then u can battle til the end. its a very tooth and nail game highly recommend mid game saves. saved my ass once or twice... i play on pc though because i find on consoles it just tooo hard. pm if u need moe specific info

Thanks for the input guys. I'm really digging F1 2013 and getting understand the car and a bit of the strategy involved. Tuned the car for dry and wet conditions for each track I've raced so far (racing in Bahrain I think - 4-race of the season).

I ended up going back and doing the licensing until I had enough points/medals to get into the Williams. Way better car for sure and now I'm placing in the top 10 (had to bump down the AI skills though...way harder to race against than what I'm use to with GT6 - not even sure that helped much, the AI is still difficult).

My next quest is a G27 racing wheel...the Thurstmaster looks pretty good too. My buddy has a G27 and feels pretty solid, so may just grab one of those and call it a day.

Soon as i get a bit better at driving, going to try my had online and see how that goes. Going to get through a season in the top 10 first, before I go and muck up a good race.

Anyhow, if you guys have any pit strategy to share, please do. I try to go as long as I can on my tires and gas and maybe placing higher by simple attrition.

Thanks again!

DrDetroit

What's really astounded me with this game compared to older F1 titles is how busy you are ALL the time.
I usually race 25% lap distance.
managing DRS and KERS in and around other cars aswell as your own strategy keep you very busy indeed

I ended up going back and doing the licensing until I had enough points/medals to get into the Williams. Way better car for sure and now I'm placing in the top 10 (had to bump down the AI skills though...way harder to race against than what I'm use to with GT6 - not even sure that helped much, the AI is still difficult).
For me, half the appeal is in starting with smaller teams and working your way up the grid.

My next quest is a G27 racing wheel...the Thurstmaster looks pretty good too. My buddy has a G27 and feels pretty solid, so may just grab one of those and call it a day.
I'm afraid I'm no help here - I don't use a wheel.

Anyhow, if you guys have any pit strategy to share, please do. I try to go as long as I can on my tires and gas and maybe placing higher by simple attrition.
There is no refuelling in Formula 1. There was once upon a time, but the sport became a glorified time trial, with drivers racing to a pre-determined lap time to make their strategy work. These days, teams deliberately under-fuel because more fuel means more weight, and more weight means you go slower at the start - but the trade-off is that you have to manage your fuel consumption late in the race.

As for the tyres, they're notorious for having a narrow operating window. You have to be very conscious of your throttle, brake and steering inputs, particularly over long runs, because if you move around too much, they rapidly degrade, and you'll be forced to pit. Of course, you have to push hard if you want to pass someone, so you have to pick and plan your moment.

Sorry for a late reply, touching on a few points. the thing that is key to F1 is the race is never against the other cars. u race the line, clock, fuel, and tire if you can average a lap time its better than trying for the fastest time every lap. u will wear ur tires out n fuel out, i play without assists so i cant say how long they should last ect. but race a season get better than retake the tests. you can unlock lotus, which will give you good chance at a 1-4 finish. also realize that you can control certain things right from the car IE fuel consumption and brake balance. both important. if you learn to manipulate fuel and run lean when ur tires are balding and rich when your overtaking. also learn what tracks use what break setup australia you can run on a rear heavy break and get nice tire conservation. but if u need fast times run a front heavy setup. keep in mind you will lock if u dont use abs. also do remember that in f1. .5 of a second is years. so run a few arcade races get a feel for how late you can break how fast to get back on the throttle.. trust me i restarted my season about 8 times before i got comfortable

Sorry for a late reply, touching on a few points. the thing that is key to F1 is the race is never against the other cars. u race the line, clock, fuel, and tire if you can average a lap time its better than trying for the fastest time every lap. u will wear ur tires out n fuel out, i play without assists so i cant say how long they should last ect. but race a season get better than retake the tests. you can unlock lotus, which will give you good chance at a 1-4 finish. also realize that you can control certain things right from the car IE fuel consumption and brake balance. both important. if you learn to manipulate fuel and run lean when ur tires are balding and rich when your overtaking. also learn what tracks use what break setup australia you can run on a rear heavy break and get nice tire conservation. but if u need fast times run a front heavy setup. keep in mind you will lock if u dont use abs. also do remember that in f1. .5 of a second is years. so run a few arcade races get a feel for how late you can break how fast to get back on the throttle.. trust me i restarted my season about 8 times before i got comfortable

Great points, especially the on-the-fly adjustments to breaks and fuel mix. Very helpful info.

I'm managing to hang in the top 10 during the race driving for Williams (placed top 5 in two races so far), but my qualifying isn't so great, usually nothing better than 12-13. I'm only using ABS, learning how to manage throttle control is difficult but a technique that is necessary.

Thanks again, great help with your posts guys.

Good day,

DrDetroit

The tyres are definitely a big thing in this game, and I would suggest at least while you're figuring the game out, keep the HUD up showing the tyre temps. Even if you only run it in the practice session, you can use it to get an idea of where on the circuit you're really building temp in which tyre, and what you can do to to avoid or reduce it. So maybe instead of taking a more traditional line through a corner and loading the outside front tyre, you might scrub off more speed earlier, get the car turned sooner and get back on the power with the car more straightened out. Or you might just generally have to back it off a bit through some corners for a bit til your temps come back down.

Certain tracks it can be painful. Somewhere like Spain, you'll want to spend time in practice really figuring out how to manage the tyres. It's all good to go around a few times, learn the track, whack in a few good laps... sweet, time for quali. Once you get into the race, the front left especially takes a huge beating. Off the final corner down the straight, then a bit through turn 1, then the long high speed turn 3, then turn 4, a few moments later the high speed turn 9... it all adds up to temp in that front left, so you need to be able to manage it without just plain going slow.

As for straight line speed... that could be the car, it could be the setup, or it could be that you're getting on to the power too late (or just spinning the wheels) as you come out of the corner. If you're late getting into the throttle, it might be that you're simply not realising you could get on it earlier, or it could be that your line through the corner is giving you an awkward exit, which means you have to wait a second to be able to power on. Or maybe you're overheating the rears through the lap, and as you floor it on to the big straight all the rear of the car wants to do is slide around for the first 100m.

You say you don't want to use aids, but I would suggest maybe do some testing with the driving line on. Pick a circuit you're familiar with already, and do some laps with it on. But don't just watch the driving line, look around to see what it corresponds to. So if the driving line says to brake for a corner, look where that is on the track (i.e. 100m board). Look to see where it is you're actually turning in, rather than just keeping your car on the coloured line. You won't necessarily have to do it for every track you race on, just use it to get a good basic grasp on the concepts and then you can apply that yourself to each circuit.

Thanks for all the input guys. Very helpful stuff that I've been implementing into my driving and getting much much better results. Was able to get a new contract offer after my Silverstone run (placed 1st since I know that track well), and holding onto a 6th placing drivers standings so far, heading into Korea, with lots of help from everyone here.

I'm finally getting much more comfortable with the F1, and landed on the podium three times driving for my new team Sauber. I did podium on tracks I know well from driving them relentlessly in GT6, which helps a lot. Still struggling with the tracks I'm not familiar with like Singapore...which I ended up crashing without replays left and had to retire - I hate that track!. The first few race tracks in the start of the season were absolutely brutal since I'm new to them as well.

Anyhow, I love the Sauber. Decent car that I can push harder and faster than the Williams without destroying my tires within 4-5 laps. Really looking forward to racing with Ferrari or Lotus eventually. I drove the Mercedes during a time trial, at the Singapore track, and wow...what a difference that car made on that track. Made it around that track 5-7 seconds faster than when I raced/qualified with the Sauber. Although could be due to a poor setup with my Sauber that was causing issue.

Anyhow, what a fantastic racing game/mid fidelity sim...what-have-you. Just love it and very very rewarding after hours and hours of struggling, days upon days really of fighting with the car/track, to be able to finally place in the top-10, then very satisfying to finally podium after that.

Just wanted to follow up with you all. All the comments and tips have been welcomed and helpful.

Once I get a wheel, probably the G27 or that expensive Thrustmaster (T500 or T300 is it?? can't remember), I'm going to be ready for some online racing fun with you guys.

Till then, see ya on the track!

Good day,

DrDetroit

Last edited:
Singapore is the toughest race on the calendar. Lap-time wise, it has the longest lap - only about 40% of the lap is run at full throttle, and there's twenty-three individual corners - and so the race regularly runs close to the two-hour time limit; this year, the race had to be cut a lap short after a long safety car. And the city itself is in the tropics, so the race is hot and humid at the best of times.

Just be glad they got rid of the Singapore Sling at the bottom of the circuit - a narrow chicane with high kerbs where one false move would put you into the wall.

Singapore is the toughest race on the calendar. Lap-time wise, it has the longest lap - only about 40% of the lap is run at full throttle, and there's twenty-three individual corners - and so the race regularly runs close to the two-hour time limit; this year, the race had to be cut a lap short after a long safety car. And the city itself is in the tropics, so the race is hot and humid at the best of times.

Just be glad they got rid of the Singapore Sling at the bottom of the circuit - a narrow chicane with high kerbs where one false move would put you into the wall.

Yea, I actually watched that race Sunday morning to get some pointers in the driving line they use. Crazy crazy track.

Didn't realize they have to keep the race at 2-hours so it don't mess up the TV networks scheduling. They cut the race short by a few laps.

EDIT: Singapore Sling!!?? The commentator did say something about that chicane that eats cars, no longer part of the grid. Would have probably knocked me out of the race early, and would have saved lots of frustration with my cars setup. I think I didn't have enough down-force up front.

Last edited:
It doesn't have anything to do with television scheduling. A race has to cover 305km, plus one lap. It's expected that the average speed of a circuit is high enough that that can be done in under two hours; in fact, I think that is one of the requirements for any circuit looking to get approval for a Grand Prix. At the opposite end of the scale, they used to have to put artificial chicanes into the legendary Ouninpohja stage in Rally Finland because the average speed was too high.

The Singapore Sling was a single-file-only chicane at Turn 10 that everyone hated. But it was, at the time, necessary, because there was no run-off on the outside and an historic building behind the armco. In the event of a big accident, that building could theoretically be damaged. It wasn't until they got SAFER barriers installed that the Sling was removed.

EDIT: Singapore Sling!!?? The commentator did say something about that chicane that eats cars, no longer part of the grid. Would have probably knocked me out of the race early, and would have saved lots of frustration with my cars setup. I think I didn't have enough down-force up front.

Yeah, there used to be a horrible chicane that the drivers would basically straight line as much as possible, but if they got it slightly wrong the car would basically fly off the kerbs and head straight into the wall. From memory, Kobayashi put in a good example of this a couple of years back with his Sauber. We're not talking a chicane like at the end of Spa or turns 1 and 2 at Monza... this thing was just plain awkward and farcical.

As for your Merc run in the time trials, I believe when you run in time trials or GP mode (or whatever it is in the current game), the car is fully upgraded, at it's top spec. I think maybe in time trials fuel is also basically taken out of the equation, although maybe I'm making that up. Assuming I'm remembering right on both counts, those things in comparison to your slower, less upgraded (seeing as updates happen as you go through the season), fuel-heavy car in career mode will all also contribute to your big lap time gain.

By the way, if you're consistently putting a mid-tier car up on the podium or up on the top step, you might want to consider upping the difficulty of the AI. Also, in case it hasn't occurred to you, if you're having trouble learning the circuits that are new to you in the allotted practice time... you can of course just keep restarting the session 'til you're happy to move forward. They only give us 1 out of the 3 practice sessions they'd have IRL anyway.

DNW
Yeah, there used to be a horrible chicane that the drivers would basically straight line as much as possible, but if they got it slightly wrong the car would basically fly off the kerbs and head straight into the wall. From memory, Kobayashi put in a good example of this a couple of years back with his Sauber. We're not talking a chicane like at the end of Spa or turns 1 and 2 at Monza... this thing was just plain awkward and farcical.

As for your Merc run in the time trials, I believe when you run in time trials or GP mode (or whatever it is in the current game), the car is fully upgraded, at it's top spec. I think maybe in time trials fuel is also basically taken out of the equation, although maybe I'm making that up. Assuming I'm remembering right on both counts, those things in comparison to your slower, less upgraded (seeing as updates happen as you go through the season), fuel-heavy car in career mode will all also contribute to your big lap time gain.

By the way, if you're consistently putting a mid-tier car up on the podium or up on the top step, you might want to consider upping the difficulty of the AI. Also, in case it hasn't occurred to you, if you're having trouble learning the circuits that are new to you in the allotted practice time... you can of course just keep restarting the session 'til you're happy to move forward. They only give us 1 out of the 3 practice sessions they'd have IRL anyway.

Good info. I'm upgrading my Sauber pretty well at this point, but still two locked items yet. I'm running downgraded AI for the 1st season, then I'm going to bump it up for the second season, then again for the third, etc., until I get to the highest level of AI difficulties.

It's a big challenge but what a ride! GT6, which I've been driving for about 3-months or so, helps a lot with the courses that that are in F1 2013. The courses are a little harder to get around in GT6, as some of the chicanes seems tighter and it's hard to drive some of those cars, which helps with my driving skills when I get in the F1.

Anyhow, thanks again for the info DNW and everybody. You guys are so helpful, without all the BS post and trolls I'd have to shift through at some of the game sites (GTAFORUMS come to mind). Seems everybody is a bit more mature here, which is great.

Good day!

DrDetroit

I had F1 2013 I played it for a few days and could not win a race even on easy ! I sent it back to the game shop not because I can't win a race it's because it is such a bad game. The last good racing game codemasters made was Toca Race Drive 3 and it had the Williams FW27 they should have based the F1 game on Toca Race Driver 3. I have had F1 2000, F1 2001, F1 2004 and F1 2005. I now have one of the last Sony F1 games F1 Championship Edition and it's better than anything codemasters can make !

Last edited:
Surely you are trolling. Arcade grip levels to the max in that TOCA 3 video.

I will agree that F1:CE is a fantastic game. Shame my T500RS doesn't work with it or I'd probably still play it from time to time.

Latest Posts

Back