Need Assistance with USA and foreign cars

  • Thread starter Thread starter Christhedude
  • 16 comments
  • 984 views
Messages
2,344
United Kingdom
Bristol UK
Messages
GTP_Chris
Hey everybody,

as some of you may know, i live in the united arab emirates - Dubai.

This years summer holiday i spent in europe and i brought my car along with me with arabic plates and blacked out windows. I didnt have any troubles with the arabic plates or the tinted windows. The only time i had issues was passing into france at the french border and once i got pulled over by french police.

This winter i'm planning on spending my holidays in america/ canada. (New York - Toronto)
So my question is if there will be any complications. I can just think about the reaction of people when they see a car with arabic license plates in new york driving around :scared:

The other day i was watching Canonball Run and appearently they drove a Rolls Royce with arab plates around america...but that was just a movie:indiff:

Some advice would be appreciated

Thanks :)
 
You will probably have issues with the tinted windows in the states, cops tend to think anyone with tinted windows is a gangster or a drug dealer. I have no idea what the law is concerning out of the country plates, I know people from Mexico and Canada can come in here rather easily but other then that I've never seen any other sort of plate on a car.

Are you sure you really want to bring your car over here? Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to hire a car once you got state side?
 
You will have no problems. Be sure to have all correct registration documents in your vehicle at all times.
 
and practise saying "no speeky engrish"

lol

yeah, should be no problems as long as you have all your documentation at hand.
 
You will probably have issues with the tinted windows in the states, cops tend to think anyone with tinted windows is a gangster or a drug dealer. I have no idea what the law is concerning out of the country plates, I know people from Mexico and Canada can come in here rather easily but other then that I've never seen any other sort of plate on a car.

Are you sure you really want to bring your car over here? Wouldn't it just be easier and cheaper to hire a car once you got state side?


oh ok but normally the police isnt actually allowed to make me take of my tint, cause were my car is registered its legal to have all windows (also windshield) fully tinted. i explained that to the french police man.

i'll take it with me by cargo plane. that will take 5 days. i prefere to have my car with me hehe
 
and practise saying "no speeky engrish"

Will that get you out of a ticket?

Anyway, I would assume that there would be no problem, aside from brining your car here a little odd:odd:. Although seeing people's reactions would be hilarious. I bet those six cars I saw from Hawaii and Alaska over the summer got a lot of good looks.

oh ok but normally the police isnt actually allowed to make me take of my tint, cause were my car is registered its legal to have all windows (also windshield) fully tinted. i explained that to the french police man.

That would be the only issue I see. Windshields are not allowed to be tinted here, but I would hope that you could get away with it because it is legal where your car is registered.

i'll take it with me by cargo plane. that will take 5 days. i prefere to have my car with me hehe

WOW! How much money do you have!?!
 
WOW! How much money do you have!?!
I think the first question you have to ask is; WOW! What car do you have? And then, your question! :D
 
I think the first question you have to ask is; WOW! What car do you have? And then, your question! :D

That too. But my question was more for effect. But I'm sure we would like to know what car this is.
 
That would be the only issue I see. Windshields are not allowed to be tinted here, but I would hope that you could get away with it because it is legal where your car is registered.

Depends on where you live, some southwestern states like New Mexico allow it, as per my room mate who used to live there.
 
WOW! How much money do you have!?!

enough to not worry about the costs:)

my car isnt anything exotic. I'm a mercedes enthusiast driving an E63. Black powder coated stock 18'' amg rims- Snow White body color- Fully Blacked out windows. In my opinion a nice match. Black-white-black

In summer time, when i was in munich, i even saw a 550 Maranello with florida plates... guess he went there to floor it on the autobahn.... just as i did it :D
 
my car isnt anything exotic. I'm a mercedes enthusiast driving an E63. Black powder coated stock 18'' amg rims- Snow White body color- Fully Blacked out windows. In my opinion a nice match. Black-white-black

I would say that people might be a little suspicious of your ride. The only thing that doesn't scream "drug dealer" is the white paint, and maybe the fact that it's not an Escalade.

But it sounds like a very nice car indeed:tup:!
 
The Arabic plate might not get a friendly reception in and around New York City, but generally speaking you shouldn't have problems as long as you've got proper documentation for everything. Then again, I've got no idea how "tough" laws are on the East Coast versus that of here in the Mid-West...
 
The Arabic plate might not get a friendly reception in and around New York City

Spoken truly like someone with no idea what they're talking about.


You'll be fine in NYC. Since nearly every taxi driver is Middle Eastern.
 
I saw a Lamborghini is Spokane, WA once with Arabic plates, I assume from the UAE. So I know it can be done :p

Just expect to get a little trouble from police because of the window tint I would say... and your car is prime drug dealer styling :p
 
I saw a Lamborghini is Spokane, WA once with Arabic plates, I assume from the UAE. So I know it can be done :p

Just expect to get a little trouble from police because of the window tint I would say... and your car is prime drug dealer styling :p


so i'm obviously not the only one who takes his car with him for holiday's :cool:

then i guess i'll remove the windshield tint at least.

Thanks for all the answers! Really appreciate them.:cheers:
 
WOW! How much money do you have!?!

Here's a hint: he lives in Dubai.

People are cool with the Emirates; don't worry about your plates. You might want to look up the HSMV Dept. of whichever state or province you'll be visiting though.
 
Back