Need For Speed (2015) Police AI

United States
United States
aleczzz123
Hi, I've decided to create a new thread just for the police AI in Need For Speed because they are an essential part of almost every open world game. I have always been fascinated by police behavior in action games like Grand Theft Auto V, Mafia II, Saints Row IV, etc. Feel free to post videos of police chase gameplay as I will be doing the same once the game is released.

Thanks!

WindowsExPee
(NFS beta tester)

I hate them. I just wanna race goddamn it.

I hope you at least get cash/credits/etc this time to deal with them unlike in Most Wanted.
I believe you get Outlaw Rep for evading them. If you can remember where they are parked in game (they usually have preset spawn locations) then you should be able to avoid them. Or they should ignore you if another racer flies past them first.

I hate them. I just wanna race goddamn it.

I hope you at least get cash/credits/etc this time to deal with them unlike in Most Wanted.

I hate cops too. I mean in events it's ok, but I don't want them in free roam. I want to explore the city in peace, not worry about speeding. I have real life to worry about that already :banghead:

I believe you get Outlaw Rep for evading them. If you can remember where they are parked in game (they usually have preset spawn locations) then you should be able to avoid them. Or they should ignore you if another racer flies past them first.

Is speeding past them enough to get you chased? Or do you have to hit or provoke them? I can tolerate the cops in MW2012 because it takes a lot to provoke them and they aren't as sensitive. The cops in Undercover is complete opposite and they will chase anyone within 1 mile radius. It's horrible and makes free roam completely unplayable.

I hate cops too. I mean in events it's ok, but I don't want them in free roam. I want to explore the city in peace, not worry about speeding. I have real life to worry about that already :banghead:

Is speeding past them enough to get you chased? Or do you have to hit or provoke them? I can tolerate the cops in MW2012 because it takes a lot to provoke them and they aren't as sensitive. The cops in Undercover is complete opposite and they will chase anyone within 1 mile radius. It's horrible and makes free roam completely unplayable.
If you blast past at 100 they'll chase you but if you're going at 120+ you'll lose them in like 10 seconds anyway. What I hated about the MW2012 cops was that you had to crash into them to get a chase going which wasn't that realistic.

If you blast past at 100 they'll chase you but if you're going at 120+ you'll lose them in like 10 seconds anyway. What I hated about the MW2012 cops was that you had to crash into them to get a chase going which wasn't that realistic.

I see. That's not too bad then.

It might not be realistic, but sometimes you just want to get to the other side of the map quickly without being chased, you know? Ideally there should be a settings option to set police sensitivity. Then everyone can be happy :)

I see. That's not too bad then.

It might not be realistic, but sometimes you just want to get to the other side of the map quickly without being chased, you know? Ideally there should be a settings option to set police sensitivity. Then everyone can be happy :)
If you're in a fast car and just want to get from A to B then cops aren't even an issue. The cops are pretty rare around the city apart from the odd patrol car and the preset ones parked at the side of the road, but by the time they've got going you're gone.

If you're in a fast car and just want to get from A to B then cops aren't even an issue. The cops are pretty rare around the city apart from the odd patrol car and the preset ones parked at the side of the road, but by the time they've got going you're gone.

Yeah I know it's relatively easy to lose them, but it's still an extra stress that I don't need lol. Each to their own I suppose 👍

What annoyed me of MW2012 was that they could keep up with any car :lol:... Which was ridiculous. I swear the crown vic's had 800HP or something.

I guess this is a good place to talk about what the Outlaw portion of the carrer mode is like so far. I'm 55% through it. It is a bit different from the other career paths.

Sometimes, you'll have to rack up a fine and/or escape a pursuit after a certain amount of time has passsed. Other times you'll have to do events like drift trials, races, etc. with the cops chasing you. So it may not seem like it at first, but you can make money while doing Outlaw stuff.

Interestingly, there are cop units that have all blue lights instead of red and blue. These seem to be slightly faster variations of the normal Crown Vic/Charger cop cars.

I really wish I could post some pursuit gameplay, but my capture card suddenly decided to stop working one day and I can't afford a new one at the moment. :ouch:

What annoyed me of MW2012 was that they could keep up with any car :lol:... Which was ridiculous. I swear the crown vic's had 800HP or something.
That's insane. I've sort of got a similar story on MW2005 where if you have the improved pursuit mod (makes pursuits harder) then the Crown Vics can keep up to anything. I even had one going over 220MPH. About 100MPH faster than the top speed real life

Interestingly, there are cop units that have all blue lights instead of red and blue. These seem to be slightly faster variations of the normal Crown Vic/Charger cop cars.

Great find! I'll have to look extra close when I'm playing the "Outlaw portion" of the game. It's possible EA could've added an FBI agency to pursue players if their reputation is on the "wrong side of the law."

As I have a similar interest in the police system to the OP, I have decided to post a few of my observations regarding the Ventura Bay Police Department (VBPD).

Firstly, the cars. There are two types of police cars used by the VBPD. The Ford Crown Victoria (“Patrol car”) is a commonly-encountered patrol unit, both mobile and stationary. They also appear at every heat level. The Dodge Charger SRT8 (“Highway Patrol unit”) appears in pursuits and can possibly be found in free-roam, and is faster than the Crown Victoria. As of the time of writing, I have not found a link between the heat level of a pursuit and the likelihood of Charger Highway Patrol units spawning. There are also supposedly special “Interceptor” versions of the two main police units, with all-blue lights and faster top speeds than the regular versions, although I have not been able to see them in action.

Next, the pursuit system itself. It appears that to initiate a pursuit, all one really needs to do is speed, drive recklessly or destroy public property. Such actions performed in view of a Patrol car is enough to get them to follow you. While a police unit is chasing you, you have the option to pull over as long as the fine is below $500. When stopped, press the L1/LS button (depending on console); the fine is deducted from your account and the police unit drives off. Once the fine rises above $500, the pursuit is formally initiated. If a police unit spots you while in a race, the pursuit is started automatically.

The heat level system is rather simple in its concept. The higher the heat level, the more units are dispatched, and the more aggressive the police will be in their attempts to stop you. The pursuit starts at Level 1, where a single Patrol car chases you, which should be easy enough to outrun. Once the fine reaches $1,500 (or thereabouts), the pursuit is upgraded to Level 2. Initially, pursuits only go up to Level 2.

Progressing through the Outlaw career path unlocks the next two heat levels. At Level 3, roadblocks are set up. These come in two varieties. The smashable roadblocks consist of simply a line of sawhorses across the road, with blue flashing lights. These slow you down, but can be broken through. Reinforced roadblocks consist of steel barriers and a few police vans. These roadblocks should be treated like the SWAT roadblocks in 2012’s Most Wanted: impassable. Any attempt to break through this kind of roadblock will see your car stop dead, and leave you vulnerable to following police units. It is recommended to find an alternate route instead.

At Level 4, spike strips are set up. These should be self-explanatory by now; running over a spike strip bursts your tires and makes escape almost impossible. Luckily, these spike strips should be easy to spot, as they are accompanied by red flashing lights and are only laid out across half the road. Interestingly, it may actually be possible for a Patrol car or Highway Patrol unit to run over their own spike strip and be taken out of the pursuit. There is also a Heat Level 5, which as far as I can tell is more of the same.

Should you find yourself stopped, with police units close by, you should attempt to get moving by any means necessary. If you cannot escape before the camera fully zooms out, you will be busted. The fine accumulated during the pursuit will be deducted from your account, and you will (presumably) respawn at the nearest garage. I shouldn’t have to tell you that getting busted should be avoided at all costs, even though your car will not get impounded. Take note that moving off before you are busted counts as Resisting Arrest, and your heat level will increase to the next level.

As for evading the police, it is pretty simple. You need to break their line of sight. If you have a high-powered car, it can be as simple as getting on a highway and accelerating away. The Crown Victoria Patrol car has a maximum speed of 120mph, which should be easy enough for even a moderately-tuned streetcar to exceed. The Highway Patrol Chargers are faster, topping out at around 160mph, which makes outrunning them harder, but not impossible. If find yourself in the city, then you should make sharp turns to lose the police. They do not seem to be able to take corners very well, so use the alleyways, back streets and other tight sections of Ventura Bay to your advantage.

Once line of sight has been broken, you will enter the Cooldown phase. A timer will count down, indicating how long you have left to lose the pursuit. This timer lasts for just 10 seconds at Level 1, while you will need to hide for 30 seconds at Level 5. While in this phase, the police will still be searching for you, and being spotted by a police unit or roadblock will re-initiate the pursuit. A tactic to increase the chances of remaining hidden is to stop and turn off your engine by pressing the O/B button. This will also cut the lights, and will make it harder for the police to spot you. For maximum effect, it is recommended to park down an alleyway, side street, or basically anywhere away from the main road, and turn off your engine. This makes it very hard for the police to spot and recognize you, and makes it very likely that you will escape.

Once you escape, the rep gained from the police evasion will be added to your total. Be warned that any heat level gained from a pursuit seems to be carried over. For example, if you evade a Level 3 pursuit, your next pursuit will start at Level 3. It remains to be seen whether the police will automatically initiate pursuit at high heat levels. Finally, (I assume, though I am not 100% sure) swapping cars in your garage will cancel the heat level gained.

I have made these observations through watching gameplay videos on YouTube, as well as noting comments made by other users on GTPlanet. However, there are still a few things I am not sure of, and will have to wait until I get a copy of Need For Speed for myself to experiment and make sense of how the VBPD operates.

I rarely see some VBPD roaming the streets. I just wanted to do a mission for Outlaw but they don't appear everytime I search Ventura Bay.

I rarely see some VBPD roaming the streets. I just wanted to do a mission for Outlaw but they don't appear everytime I search Ventura Bay.
If you visit South Port, you should definitely see an increased police presence. But occasionally, I've had a glitch where I can't find any police at all during an online session. An easy way to fix this is by restarting the game or rebooting your console.

Last edited:
If you visit South Port, you should definitely see an increased police presence. But occasionally, I've had a glitch where I can't find any police at all during an online session. An easy way to fix this is by restarting the game or rebooting your console.
I don't think it's a glitch.

It would be nice if cops stopped behind you when you pull over instead of blocking your car, so you at least have a choice if you want to escape.

Back