Need help choosing a camera!

• Thread starter Pagey279
  • 6 comments
England
Somerset
Pagey279
Hey guys, I've decided to invest in a camera, the high spec DSLRs are sadly out of my price range so I'm looking at the less expensive DSLRs or compact camera systems with a budget of around £300 (limited I know).
I'm just looking for a decent camera, for sort of general photography, I don't really know what I'm doing so a camera that's easy to use and easy to get the hang of will be ideal.
I've had a quick look around and found 3:
The Panasonic Lumix FZ38 12.1 megapixel has caught my eye, although it's the cheapest DSLR i've found and that may not be a good thing.
The Canon EOS 400D 10.1 megapixel.
Or the compact system Panasonic Lumix G10

Any suggestions?

It really depends on how seriously you want to take photography. The 400D may be old, but it's a solid body and you'll be able to expand into Canon's system pretty well. Check out Nikon and Sony's systems too. See what feels best in your hands. Sony's NEX and the Micro Four Thirds cameras are also worth a look at - good for simple point and shoot purposes with the ability for full manual control if you're feeling up to it. As far as compact cameras go, £300 will put you in the top end - check out the Canon S95/S100 (the 95 can be had for around £220 on Amazon and it's 90% of the camera that the 100 is), Olympus XZ-1, Fuji X10 (I believe Fuji's refurb store will have them in your price range) and my own personal favourite, the Ricoh GRD III/IV. The Ricoh is very much a camera for people who want the most control over their compact camera though.

Thanks F1 👍 I will have a look into those you have suggested. Photography isn't something I will take too seriously, just a hobby that I'm interested in taking up, and looking for something that i can take decent pictures with when i go on holiday and things like that. Hence the limited budget.

As you said photography is a hobby you're interested in taking up, If you have absolutely no desire to use manual controls or purchase additional lenses and bits of kit, stay away from a DSLR and get a quality pointer and shoot instead.

Look at amazon to see what prices and features there are and double check ratings with sites like dpreview.

......XsnipX........

I'm just looking for a decent camera, for sort of general photography, I don't really know what I'm doing so a camera that's easy to use and easy to get the hang of will be ideal.

.......XsnipX.......

Any suggestions?

For that kind of money you can get an amazingly good point-and-shoot - but you may outgrow it quick. How quick? Well, that depends if you really take to the subject. You may only shoot on occasion - and end up only shooting race meets, or birthday parties, etc. In which case you will find it good enough for quite awhile. Then again you may just discover that you can't help photographing everything you see - and you may not be able to stop doing it. That camera comes out everyday, and you got to take some shots; in which case you'll outgrow it fairly soon and start longing for interchangeable lenses, and even start reading up on stuff like filters and light meters!
Ask yourself how you think you would go.
If you've never really fiddled much with cameras before, an inexpensive point-and-shoot (save some of the money for the 'big one' later) will be good for 'knocking around', as you learn the rudiments of composition and learn to lasso the light to your liking.:)
Here's looking forward to your gallery!
Cheers.
Harry.

Cheers for your help guys, in the end I bought this:

DMC-FZ45EB-K-HiRes-Image__Image--[1]((Europe))-1WebA1001001A10G07B60955F92956.jpg

Panasonic Lumix FZ45 14.1 megapixel for £240. It should be coming mid this week and i will get shooting :D

It's quite old now but the reviews speak for themselves really

Last edited:
Back