Need help drifting. Basic tips and methods required.

United Kingdom
Sussex
DrTrouserPlank
I've always wanted to give drifting a decent go in this game, but have never managed to pull it off. As there is now a drifting challenge as one of the coffee breaks in GT6 this might be a good time to learn, the problem is that I don't even know what you are meant to do to get a car drifting and keep it there.

In drift challenge 1 I can either spin the car (and no amount of countersteer seems to bring it back). It has basically gone past any point where you can save it before you are even in the drift; or I can try to throw the car into the corner but all the happens is it just understeers off the track.

I'm using a wheel. I've tried feign movement to get it drifting and whilst it sometimes works, at best I end up spinning. I've also tried using the handbrake but that doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a rapid spin if anything happens at all.

Can someone give me a step by step method for getting the card sideways and keeping it there? because pretty much everything I've tried doesn't work. How rotated are you aiming to get the car vs a normal trajectory through the corner?

Would it help to swap my wheel to 200 degree mode?

No one can actually teach you how to drift. Only you can. Follow setups people have posted on here and just go to a basic track and learn a corner or too. Truth is drifting is hard but once you learn throttle control and steering control you shall get the hang of it. Just don't give up, being patient and keep trying.

900 degree is the best, IMO, as you have more "finetweaking" mid drift ;) As for entry, there are couple of ways.

Flick, handbrake, overpower, shiftlock, clutchkick.

Flick: You start by coming in towards the corner, and well, yeah, you give it a flick, just hard enough to get the ass out, and go on the power. Do not countersteer so that your frontwheels point out, they should point where you're going (This is where alot of people fail, including myself, as im not used to gt6 yet.)

Handbrake: This wil initiate a little later (ofc, you can push the limits and initiate a long way from the corner, but its not for starters) While still holding the handbrake, give it a little flick, and when the ass comes out, countersteer and feel the amount of throttle needed.

Overpower: This one starts when you have already started the turn (altho you can start the turn long before the accual corner.) Steer into the corner and floor it, the ass should come out, and you countersteer and throttle as neccecary.

Shiftlock: Approch the corner at just to high speed, clutch, and shift to a lover gear (for one, go from mid 4th gear, to 3rd, not braking). This will cause the engine to lock/brake the wheels enough to get the ass out.

Clutchkick: Easiest to do, but takes practice to get it right. Approch corner, as the turn begins, kick the clutch as you go on the power, and drop it when the RPM reaches wanted height.

Hope this helps, written during class, so i guess there are som spelling misstakes.

And! Keep practising, Noone is born a master ;)

Polarfox

I wouldn't whack your steering wheel down to 200, way to small for fine tweaking but I fine using my wheel at the 650 option or thereabouts the best. As I'm not on the most stable setup with my cockpit due to my roller chair :banghead: I find that this steering option is the best if you're trying to recover a drift.

And I suggest any beginner looking for tips here should watch this:

The Drift Bible is a holy text/video that should be viewed by everyone who wants to get into drifting 👍

I wouldn't whack your steering wheel down to 200, way to small for fine tweaking but I fine using my wheel at the 650 option or thereabouts the best. As I'm not on the most stable setup with my cockpit due to my roller chair :banghead: I find that this steering option is the best if you're trying to recover a drift.

The Drift Bible is a holy text/video that should be viewed by everyone who wants to get into drifting 👍

Agreed, the drift bible has all the information you need regarding the basic fundamentals of drifting. Keichi tsuchiya lays everything out nicely and in a simple adaptable way.

Practice makes perfect. Also the drift bible suggestion is a pretty good one, you'll learn all the basic initiations. Bow down to Tsuchiya.

It may not be right or ideal, but I can only drift on the wheel using the 200deg option. I drift on the DS3 like it's nothing, and I think it's just because I'm so used to balancing a car using lock and straight wheels, and not proper wheel alignment and throttle balancing. I can't even do a single turn worth of drift on 900deg

It may not be right or ideal, but I can only drift on the wheel using the 200deg option. I drift on the DS3 like it's nothing, and I think it's just because I'm so used to balancing a car using lock and straight wheels, and not proper wheel alignment and throttle balancing. I can't even do a single turn worth of drift on 900deg

That sounds pretty boring. You probably don't have enough practice on 900 dude. You'll never learn it if you don't use it.

For me, using 900 or the slightly reduced option (O-button on g27) is what I've always used for driving. I have the muscle memory of catching and correcting my slide as soon as it starts to happen, and it's a reflex I don't necessarily want to break for fear of my actual racing suffering. Even with a car on CH, set up to drift, feinting in and clutch kicking, I still find myself reflexively getting the darn thing around the corner straight, or spinning out. With the 200deg (Triangle) option, I have no choice but to drift because that's damn near undrivable.

I've seen some master drifters using every kind of wheel, pad, and setting you can imagine. IRL, we know there are some drastically different setups to suit driver's needs. It comes down to what you're comfortable with. While I could force myself to learn to drift with 900 degrees, what would I be gaining? I'm having fun and I'm comfortable with it, and that's all that matters if you ask me.

If any one needs help with drifting the wheel please pm me. I've got a tip that will take you from noob to pro instantly. Thanks

If you want to learn to drift in gt6 I would recommend you start with drifting in live for speed first. Lfs is considered the best in sim drifting physics. Because the way the cars lose traction is progressive making catching and controlling the slide a lot easier and realistic. Once you get good at the techniques in lfs you can better handle the snap behaviours in gt6 cars when they lose traction.

i m new to drifting actually to the forum as well... so i don t have much experience and no experience driftin irl...i was watching fly666fly videos and he showed absolute car control...i havent been very successful yet...i m using gt3rs fanatec wheel and was wondering (nobody has mentioned it yet) if the p roblem with catching the slides and snap oversteer does not lie in the fact that my wheel is much slower than his and hence is not able to replicate what a normal wheel would automaticaly do when the back of a car steps out to catch a slide....hope you understand what i m tryin to point out here...in reality(at least i think so) the faster the back steps out the waster the wheel turns to countersteer....watching his older videos his wheel t500 wheel flew from one side to another like a breez looking very naturally and lifelike. I m not able to do that with mine and i don t think it s because of lack of skill or wrong car settings...the wheel just is not able to move quick enough....even when you think of ds3 drifting it is so much easier because of its "speed". Ofcourse it s way too much and def not lifelike or natural but i think it works well as a proof that the speed of the pheriperals make a difference

I've always wanted to give drifting a decent go in this game, but have never managed to pull it off. As there is now a drifting challenge as one of the coffee breaks in GT6 this might be a good time to learn, the problem is that I don't even know what you are meant to do to get a car drifting and keep it there.

In drift challenge 1 I can either spin the car (and no amount of countersteer seems to bring it back). It has basically gone past any point where you can save it before you are even in the drift; or I can try to throw the car into the corner but all the happens is it just understeers off the track.

I'm in the same boat! I'm absolutely terrible at drifting!:dunce:

Have you been able to get good enough to beat the drift coffee breaks?

Any further tips for someone who usually can't manage to score on most of the drift checkpoints?

My best score so far on the first drift challenge is a 2,202!

I'm very good at 360's which give me zero points! (and I think I hear laughter from the GT6 fans in the background at AMR).

Thanks
GTsail

Last edited:
I'm in the same boat! I'm absolutely terrible at drifting!:dunce:

Have you been able to get good enough to beat the drift coffee breaks?

Any further tips for someone who usually can't manage to score on most of the drift checkpoints?

My best score so far on the first drift challenge is a 2,202!

I'm very good at 360's which give me zero points! (and I think I hear laughter from the GT6 fans in the background at AMR).

Thanks
GTsail

I am on such boat as well ...:dunce:
I made 3,450 in the first drift challenge but it was just a case... I really can't get the hang of it.
I know there are many ways for drifting... I started with the one in the user manual.

Just before the curve.. I slightly turn, then brake (I tried both handbrake and brake+handbrake) then quickly countersteer and slightly accelerate and most of the time I get 360 even at low speed...
I imagine it is a good balance among car angle, speed, and acceleration /countersteer corrections...
Maybe once you learn it becomes easier but for now the tail is completely out of control...

I got drift bible on DVD signed by Tsuchiya. That's like having the bible signed by Jesus.

Start by driving around the corners normally then give it gas to start feeling how the car steps out. Then gradually put more and more gas to maintain longer drifts. If you snap the other way they you need to give more gas. And depending on your LSD setup that will determine how you control the throttle. 3rd gear is a usually a good gear to get some power.

^^^

DM's got some good advice there. If you are attempting to learn to drift, don't start by trying to "throw" the car into the corner like you see guys doing in all the youtube videos. For someone who is in the very beginning stages of learning, flick entries, or even e-brake entries, are somewhat advanced techniques.

If you watch the drift bible video, you'll see that the first technique Tsuchiya talks about is the "power over". Enter the corner under normal driving conditions, drive to the apex, and then apply enough throttle to get the back to break loose. Feather the throttle so that you are in a controlled powerslide, and focus on exiting the slide smoothly, with minimal "wiggle". The key to exiting smoothly is to feather the throttle so that the rear tires transition from slipping to gripping in a smooth fashion. If you apply too much throttle, you will spin out. If you back off the throttle too much and too suddenly, the rear wheels will rapidly gain grip, which causes the car to "snap back".

Once you feel comfortable power sliding the car from the apex through the exit, start applying the throttle slightly before the apex. Use the throttle to turn the car through the apex, and then continue with your power slide through the exit.

Once you can do that comfortably, you're ready to start learning some of the various entry and initiation techniques, such as the e-brake, and Scandinavian Flick.

A really good place to practice drifting is the skid pad at the Streets of Willow Springs. Push a couple of the cones into the middle of the pad, and start by simply trying to do donuts around them. To learn how to transition from drifting one way to the other, set up two cones and do figure 8s around them. And lastly, to practice longer, higher speed drifts, simply try to follow the giant white circle painted on the ground.

....after writing all that, I would actually say the giant circle on the skid pad is perhaps your best place to start. Drive the circle under grip conditions, and play with adding more throttle until you can get the back to step out. Practice feathering the throttle so you don't spin out or snap back. Once you can smoothly and consistently drift that circle, then I would start trying the "power over" technique on an actual corner with an apex.

Back