Need help for a new car

  • Thread starter Thread starter Arkangel
  • 27 comments
  • 1,133 views
Messages
140
I'm finally selling my current car (1995 Toyota Celica) and I'm in the market for a new car. When all is said and done, I'll have about $8,500 of my own money to put towards a new car. My mom is also going to help me with a little bit as long as I pay her back :ouch:, so as of now, the most I'd like to spend is $14000.

As far as what I need in it:
Going to college next year at Kansas State, Snow = Yes (lots at times)
Needs to last a good while with not massive amounts of repair costs. (Not counting general stuff like oil, tune ups, and tires, etc.)
Fairly big, I'm 6'4" and I don't really fit in a lot of small cars lol

So far, I've found these (Mods: If I can't do this, just remove the links :))

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...7&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=174

http://cars.com/go/search/detail.js...ional&paId=208781972&recnum=1&leadExists=true

I was also looking at a 1996-7 Volvo 850R after driving a coworkers.

Any and all help you can give me would be really appreciated.

Thanks
Ark
 
Blazer Xtreme's are not good in the snow, the short wheel base and RWD make driving in the snow fun in the same way as being shot at is fun (I love that Top Gear quote). But they aren't horrible vehicles, just a word to the wise, they aren't fast, they can be made to handle pretty well with a lowering kid and tires, they are hard on gas 17-20mpg average, they are decently roomy, and they do look good in the eyes of some.

If you have any questions about Blazers go ahead and shoot them my way, I'll answer whatever you need to know.

I recommend a Bravada if you are going to be around a lot of snow. It's AWD.

That first Xtreme is overpriced too.
 
An 850R is probably not the best car to have if you want reliable, long lasting transportation unless you find a low mileage one.
I would personally suggest a GMT360 vehicle before an S10 based SUV, though the S10s themselves are rather nice. The one linked to looks to be in good order, though for the price you could do better. Perhaps you could look at some Dodges?
 
I don't know if you can afford it, but a Volvo Cross country might work wee for you.
 
I would personally suggest a GMT360 vehicle before an S10 based SUV, though the S10s themselves are rather nice.

I'm going to have to agree there. You can find some GMT360s (Trailblazer, Envoy, Bravada, etc) for fairly cheap these days, and IMO, they were far-superior than the S-10 models they replaced. Hell, the Atlas I6 alone is worth the price of entry over the decidedly old-school 4.3L (Chevy 350 with two-cylinders chopped off) V6.

A good way to get a cheap GMT360 is too look for the Isuzu spin-off, the Ascender. However, they may be too new and too-few to get for "cheap" as of yet, but here is an interesting idea:

Shes a 2002 Isuzu Axiom, from what I understand a moderately good SUV for a good price. For $6800, I'd call that a steal with just over 100K on the clock.

1740759921.218549893.IM1.03.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1740759923.218549893.IM1.05.565x421_A.562x421.jpg

1740759922.218549893.IM1.04.565x421_A.562x421.jpg


Everything seems to be in order. Plus, you can always look cool with the kiddies... Didn't they have one of these in that Spy Kids movie?
 
Its only 2WD, though. If it was 4WD, I would probably drive all the way there and buy it personally. Axioms are sweet. I find it rayther comical that some dealers on Autotrader list the Axiom as being FWD, though.
However, for the hell of it:
Isuzu's!




Edit: This is the part where I win: Mitsubishi. FTW.
 
You could also look at a Saturn Vue, I'm not sure how much they are going for now a days but they are really nice and they come AWD.
 
The majority of them are high mileage, I4 or 2WD. I saw a few AWD V6 ones on Autotrader, though. You can get more for your money, by that same fashion, simply by cross shopping at Chevrolet with the Trailblazer.




My highest suggestion so far? Mitsubishi Montero.
 
Montero is a good choice. I've always liked the older Montero Sport models though. There are a lot of crazy Japanese SUVs out there. Most of which were so-so compared to most of the American choices.

...Plus, you can never go wrong with an old-school Jeep Cherokee Sport/Classic. THEY IS TEH HOTNESS X10!
 
I've never driven a Montero...nor seen one for that matter. But you are right you do get more for the money with a T Blazer.
 
No Montero?

2006.mitsubishi.montero.jpg


...You have to have seen one at least once... They managed to sell fairly well for a while across the state.

---

Another idea: Ford Explorer Sport-Trac:

1750175554.218672662.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.560x421.jpg


Found one for $10,995, and I'm sure they'd wheel and deal. It is a V6 model though, so if it is power you want, this won't have it.
 
I'm not sure how roomy these are but have you considered some used Impreza's? Heck, if you fit in a '95 Celica, than you should fit in the Impreza.
 
...You have to have seen one at least once... They managed to sell fairly well for a while across the state.
Plus, Mitsubishi seemed to sell every one fully loaded at bargain basement prices for the last two years or so it was sold, so you are nearly guaranteed to find one.
 
I honestly can't ever remember seeing one.
 
I'm not sure how roomy these are but have you considered some used Impreza's? Heck, if you fit in a '95 Celica, than you should fit in the Impreza.

I fit in it, but I can't be in it for more then 30 min.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I totally forgot about half of these cars.
 
There are alot of Monteros around here, be them Sports or full sized ones. I like them quite a bit.

Also, I didn't know that the Axiom looked that nice on the inside.
 
^ I agree. I had high-hopes for the model, but Isuzu wasn't able to gain any kind of pull from the buying public. I don't know if it was the look, or maybe just the fact that it was an Isuzu... No one bought them. In the last few weeks, I can only recall seeing one 'modern' Isuzu on the road... It was one of those i30 trucks (ie Chevrolet Colorado), and while being so stunned that I had seen it, I forgot to grab a snapshot.

...GM ducked out of there at the right time. Its a shame that a company that was once so good has essentially killed themselves in the past 15 or so years. God I miss the Isuzu Impulse RS...
 
The cars are incredibly cheap aswell! A 7 passenger Ascender goes for 20,748! Helluva deal.

EDIT: Wow, they have 7k in rebates....
 
An 850R is probably not the best car to have if you want reliable, long lasting transportation unless you find a low mileage one.

You're crazy. They're unbelievably reliable.

As long as 'reliable' to you means less than one radiator per year.

Actually even that is stretching it because I had three in my car and I owned it for exactly two years.

EDIT: actually come to think of it I had four, but I lost one because I ran over something, so that shouldn't count against the car.
 
You're crazy. They're unbelievably reliable.

As long as 'reliable' to you means less than one radiator per year.

Actually even that is stretching it because I had three in my car and I owned it for exactly two years.

EDIT: actually come to think of it I had four, but I lost one because I ran over something, so that shouldn't count against the car.
Well maybe your specific 850 was just total crap.

My family has or does own(ed) most Volvo models since 1995 and never experienced any silly problems like Doug has had with his. A guy near me owns a yellow 850T5-R wagon which he drives daily without any problems whatsoever. Mileage is so-so.
 
What about a 99 and lower BMW? Hows reliability on BMWs? I've only heard fantastic things, but my dad said they have a lot of "gremlins". I guess I'd be looking for a 3 or 5 series.
 
I would love to have a Impreza Sport Wagon, it has to be my realistic dream car and when I get ready for something new I'm almost certain I am going to get one. I have driven them on several occasions and I must say it's one of the better small cars I think I've ever been in.
 
What about a 99 and lower BMW? Hows reliability on BMWs? I've only heard fantastic things, but my dad said they have a lot of "gremlins". I guess I'd be looking for a 3 or 5 series.
Beamers above the 3-series blow up electronically at the 100,000 mile mark. And for the price you are looking at? Don't even bother.
 
Arkangel,
Do you want "cool" or "hassle-free"?
Find a nice Subaru Forester, and call it a day.
Their resale sucks, but they are fairly sturdy cars, will go just about anywhere you will be wanting to take a car.
Not too hard on gas.
The Explorer is also a good choice, but the V-6 doesn't really have enough power, and the V-8 is thirsty. But for utility, ease of repair, maintainance, reliability, they are good, and with some shopping can be found cheap.
 
early 1990s E-class with 4matic, if you work on it yourself and make friends with a local mechanic for the big stuff then repairs won't be too bad, parts are relatively inexpensive as well and the cars are legendary as far as how solid and reliable they are. the little things might drive you crazy but the big things are built to last. however 4matics are fairly rare so finding one in your area might be difficult. I've had no problem affording my late 80's model and since the AWD rarely has problems having that shouldn't add too much for maintenance
 
Back