Need help Identifying guitar.Music 

  • Thread starter Thread starter ND4SPD
  • 5 comments
  • 696 views

ND4SPD

Premium
Messages
8,485
Canada
Guelph ON
Messages
JeffZ28
Messages
Jeff C6R
Hello GTP, my dad was talking to his co worker and he mentioned that I played guitar and he started talking about how his brother used to play guitar and that he still had it lying around in the basement and he was willing to give it to us.Well the thing is I have no idea where it came from nor any information on it at all. It was bought by his brother over 30 years ago so it was made somewhere in the 1970's. It says Dana on the neck of the guitar and no other symbols or information. It looks exactly like a Fender Telecaster and changing strings seems to be the most difficult thing about it. WHen plugged into the amp all I hear is pure static, so something inside must be broken, here's some pics and I'd like to see what the guitar nuts here know about the guitar. I'm gonna bring it to the local music store next week and see how much it'll cost to get it refurbished to its original state.

 
Seeing as how it says 'Dana' on the headstock, that's a good indication of something, right? See if there is a 'Dana' on harmonycentral.com

The pickups are probably **** in it as there were plenty of startup guitar companies back then that were less than stellar...

Congrats on the guitar :)
 
kennythebomb
Seeing as how it says 'Dana' on the headstock, that's a good indication of something, right? See if there is a 'Dana' on harmonycentral.com

The pickups are probably **** in it as there were plenty of startup guitar companies back then that were less than stellar...

Congrats on the guitar :)
Well if only it was a real telecaster...So I have a lookalike Stratocaster and a lookalike telecaster now.
 
The only Dana I know of is a Westone Guitar Company Dana model, popular in the late '80s to early '90s. Westone, I think, was one of those Japanese guitar manufacturing plants that made knock-off guitars, but was put out of business in the late '70s early '80s when Fender, Gibson started to sue them for copying their guitars. But, I'm not sure about that. Their most popular model was the Reb Beach guitar. He's the guitarist from Winger, and had a big hit with the song "Seventeen" which was an awesome guitar song back in the early '90s.

Sorry, I check the internet and no pictures, or details, about your guitar came up. Check Dana Sutcliffe, because he's the guy who designed the Dana Westone guitar. Maybe he had his own line of guitars before going to Westone?
 
Maybe it's an alternate branding of Danelectro - who made cheap guitars back then (but surprisingly good - Jimmy Page used one on the first Led Zep album), it certainly has Danelectro's distinctive lipstick-tube style pickups. The thin body and general look is very Danelectro. Whether Danelectro (or anyone that had anything to do with them) put out any guitars under the name "Dana" is another story.
 
James2097
Maybe it's an alternate branding of Danelectro - who made cheap guitars back then (but surprisingly good - Jimmy Page used one on the first Led Zep album), it certainly has Danelectro's distinctive lipstick-tube style pickups. The thin body and general look is very Danelectro. Whether Danelectro (or anyone that had anything to do with them) put out any guitars under the name "Dana" is another story.

That thought crossed my mind too, James.
 
Back