For my major project, I chose to do popular cars between 1980-1990. Problem is, I only know one. Ferrari Testarossa. Sad. So any help from you guys? I need the year, make, model, reason, and a picture and website will be appreciated.
Oooh...I love 80's cars. I have to got dinner in a min, but I'll start you off with one...and more to come. BTW, do you mean popular as in sales or as in following today or as in performance or as in legendary? Be mor specific, please.
For now--1979 to 93 Mustang.
The car that defined affordable performance in the '80s and pretty much the only domestic with major performance potential. It was cheap and dead reliable, as the group called "stang bangers" came to be called. It's sales numbers were amazing, and plenty of them are still being raced and driven today.
Extend that to the whole 1977-1988 Chevy A/G-body line. Included Buick Regal/Grand National, Chevy Monte Carlo, and Hurst Olds. They all had decent performance potential and sold pretty well.
What about the Ford Taurus? It's styling was revolutionary, and it sold to match.
That's going in my all-time number one list. Not because it's spelled badly, you understand. Just because it's spelled in an amusing fashion - especially considering the real name of the car...
The Lamborghini Countach's actual name is an expletive in the Piedmontese dialect of Italian, which roughly means "**** me!".
What do you mean when you say "popular"? Likeable, or many?
The original Pantera only made it to 9500 - with 6000 of them being made in the first 5 years of it's production (1971-1990).
Only 8000 DeLorean DMC-12s were made (1981-1982).
The Countach variants made in the 1980s (LP400S in 1978-1982; LP500S in 1982-1985; and the 5000QV from 1985-1988) only totalled 1150.
I have no figures on the Testarossa (1984-1991), but I doubt it's huge.
Oh, I should add that my two favourite cars on Earth were released slap-bang in the middle of the 80's - the Ferrari F40 (just over 1000 made) and the Ford RS200 (just under 200 made - no concrete figures at all).
The Porsche 911 turbo.It's_history alone makes it popular in any decade.
For just sheare sales numbers,the Chrysler K cars.Yes,they were hunks of junk in the long run but they helped bring Chrysler from the verge of being bankruped.